Fly Fishing Forums


Go Back   Fly Fishing Forums > General Fly Fishing Forums > General Fly Fishing Discussion
Forums Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #131  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:26 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scotland
Posts: 3,481
Blog Entries: 6
bunc has a spectacular aura aboutbunc has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Its amazing how good a trouts eye sight really is

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhomme View Post
Hi James,

because they were only made by the targeted fish (fishing on sight in crystal clear water) and not by other fish in the vicinity. Sometimes fish would swim up to the clearly visible nymph at great speed, stop dead in front of it and open the jaws wide and repeatedly. Not like a trout sucking in a food item or imitation but in a pretentious way as to clearly show the white of their mouth and provoke a reaction. In fact any reaction resulted invariably in a spooked fish. In some cases leaving the nymph to sink freely to the bottom provoked a take but most of the time fish behaving this way were very hard to catch.

Regards,
Interesting. I bet the fish that swam up and made the jaw movements was saying to his pals;
"Hey guys watch this! Everytime I swim up to this bit of metal on a string that guy on the bank goes all kind of funny and shakey. Its a real hoot ! Hey by the way guys whatever happened to Dave? - I havent seen him round here for a while - Last I saw him he was chasing some strange looking fish on a string."
__________________
"Happiness is a warm puppy" - Charles Shultz
"Just add lube" - Prisoner no. 3718
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 05-11-2012, 10:30 PM
jameswaine's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham
Posts: 3,868
jameswaine is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Its amazing how good a trouts eye sight really is

It's amazing isn't it?

We humans think we're vastly superior and yet we are regularly out-foxed by the humble trout.

Some of the stories we've heard on this thread are truly fascinating and I, for one, could not hope to explain how or why the fish behave in such ways.

I don't think we can ever fully understand the true power of 'mother' nature, a true wonder.
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 05-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ireland
Posts: 152
whelzer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Its amazing how good a trouts eye sight really is

Really good thread!

I can't believe there is not a mention of Bob Wyatt yet!

I'm convinced he is bang on with his thoughts re trout/why they take flies etc.

Short piece from his forthcoming book..

"When actions are driven by ideas we really want to be sure that those ideas are based on observed reality. When we observe trout in their appropriate context, we notice some similarities with other animals, say snakes, lizards, and frogs. Apart from areas related to specific motor functions such as swimming, a trout brain is quite similar to a frog brain. As far as I know nobody makes the intelligence case for frogs.

Like frogs, trout can’t possibly have any idea what we are, or what a fishing line is, or what an artificial fly is. Nor do they associate us in any way with the lures at the end of our lines, or have any reason or ability to “suspect” them. They certainly haven’t got the cognitive horsepower to perceive our fly as a fake. In fact, they don’t have “ideas” at all. In other words, in the terms we use to describe human intelligence, fish aren’t smart.

As much as the next guy, I appreciate and love the grace, elegance, traditions, technical eccentricities and all-round quirkiness of the sport, but something niggles at me whenever I run into that “educated trout” thing in a fishing conversation."

The full article is here What Trout Want: A Beautiful Fiction | MidCurrent

His first book Trout Hunting is well a read (and several re-reads), if your into the why thing!
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 05-11-2012, 11:50 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Bespin
Posts: 4,497
ant77 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Its amazing how good a trouts eye sight really is

Uneducated trout anecdote (told previously in another thread):

Fishing a small stream populated only with wild browns and bullheads in September I hooked and landed a rainbow. I was very surprised and it put up quite a tussle. I fiddled around in my pocket trying to extract my phone so I could take a snap to send to EA. As I was doing so the fish kicked off, slipped my grip and plunged back into the water, disappearing under a nearby rock. I sat down and had a smoke, puzzling. I put my tab out and had another cast on approximately the same drift and halfway down the pool the same fish took the same fly. It fought rather less well the second time and I was able to get a snap on the second landing:

Click the image to open in full size.

Exactly one week later I returned to the same spot and caught the same fish again, this time on the same pattern albeit in a different colour.
Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 06-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Blairgowrie
Posts: 617
Tammy-troot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Its amazing how good a trouts eye sight really is

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelzer View Post
Really good thread!

I can't believe there is not a mention of Bob Wyatt yet!

I'm convinced he is bang on with his thoughts re trout/why they take flies etc.

Short piece from his forthcoming book..

"When actions are driven by ideas we really want to be sure that those ideas are based on observed reality. When we observe trout in their appropriate context, we notice some similarities with other animals, say snakes, lizards, and frogs. Apart from areas related to specific motor functions such as swimming, a trout brain is quite similar to a frog brain. As far as I know nobody makes the intelligence case for frogs.

Like frogs, trout can’t possibly have any idea what we are, or what a fishing line is, or what an artificial fly is. Nor do they associate us in any way with the lures at the end of our lines, or have any reason or ability to “suspect” them. They certainly haven’t got the cognitive horsepower to perceive our fly as a fake. In fact, they don’t have “ideas” at all. In other words, in the terms we use to describe human intelligence, fish aren’t smart.

As much as the next guy, I appreciate and love the grace, elegance, traditions, technical eccentricities and all-round quirkiness of the sport, but something niggles at me whenever I run into that “educated trout” thing in a fishing conversation."

The full article is here What Trout Want: A Beautiful Fiction | MidCurrent

His first book Trout Hunting is well a read (and several re-reads), if your into the why thing!

Whos Bob Wyatt?

Anyway nobody is saying fish a has some super brain power but they have got an ability to remember. Trout do get educated why are the big ones so much harder to catch?
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 06-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Ireland
Posts: 152
whelzer is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Its amazing how good a trouts eye sight really is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammy-troot View Post
Whos Bob Wyatt?

Anyway nobody is saying fish a has some super brain power but they have got an ability to remember. Trout do get educated why are the big ones so much harder to catch?
He is a Canadian dude who now live in Scotland - has written some good stuff on fishing and "invented" a fly or two - DHE being one.

If trout get educated - why do they consistently fall for the same flies, eg you'd think that after 100 odd years they might realise that a GRHE is not food!

I'll come back on the harder to catch aspect later...
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 AM
Scotty Mitchell's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: a fully furnished dustbin, 16 beasley street
Posts: 1,949
Scotty Mitchell is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Its amazing how good a trouts eye sight really is

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelzer View Post
He is a Canadian dude who now live in Scotland - has written some good stuff on fishing and "invented" a fly or two - DHE being one.

If trout get educated - why do they consistently fall for the same flies, eg you'd think that after 100 odd years they might realise that a GRHE is not food!

I'll come back on the harder to catch aspect later...
Rats are far more intelligent that fish, for hundreds of years they have been poisoned and trapped. These traps have not changed much but still rats are caught. Rat poison does not differ too greatly, they still eat it. They may have become immune in some cases, but still it is consumed. If rats have not passed down these survival strategies why should we assume trout have? Merley an opinion, i have no facts or figures or research so stand to be corrected i hasten to add!.
__________________
Seek and ye shall find
Reply With Quote
  #138  
Old 06-11-2012, 09:57 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Blairgowrie
Posts: 617
Tammy-troot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Its amazing how good a trouts eye sight really is

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelzer View Post
He is a Canadian dude who now live in Scotland - has written some good stuff on fishing and "invented" a fly or two - DHE being one.

If trout get educated - why do they consistently fall for the same flies, eg you'd think that after 100 odd years they might realise that a GRHE is not food!

I'll come back on the harder to catch aspect later...

If you read the thread some people have suggested trout have some sort of memory as to what is dangerous to them or caused pain or is not food whether it be for hours or days or whatever. I agree with this.
Reply With Quote
  #139  
Old 06-11-2012, 10:24 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 222
geenomad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Its amazing how good a trouts eye sight really is

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelzer View Post
He is a Canadian dude who now live in Scotland - has written some good stuff on fishing and "invented" a fly or two - DHE being one..
Thanks for the link. Read the article and can only say I'm sorry I didn't write it! Great stuff. Spot on. A man I could enjoy a beer with and some bank to walk together. Here's the punchline for me:

"We’re applying the wrong language to describe trout behaviour, and it makes a real, practical difference to how we approach them."

And that's more or less what I suggested a few pages back.

There you are by the water and out there are trout. In the absence of a guide or a companion who has already caught one local knowledge is gold but by far the most valuable asset is our understanding of the beast we hunt. It was ever thus.

That's why the why is important and maybe that's just because the problem solving is what does it for me. What will it take to catch that fish, the one that just rose in front of the second dry rock inside the point? Along the path to enlightenment or at least to greater knowledge and skill one finds the one great certainty in fly fishing for trout - the path is endless.

Cheers
Mark
Reply With Quote
  #140  
Old 06-11-2012, 12:08 PM
diawl bach's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,552
diawl bach is a jewel in the roughdiawl bach is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Its amazing how good a trouts eye sight really is

Quote:
Originally Posted by whelzer View Post
Coincidentally I arrived at "What trout want" after image googling "trout anthropomorphism" - as one does. Like GN I have nothing more to add to that interesting article
__________________
Musha rig um du rum da
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's in my trouts stomach? double_taper Entomology 7 28-02-2012 04:58 PM
Trouts & Cormorants g1zmo Trout and Grayling Fishing 3 20-12-2011 10:11 PM
Shy fish or just good eye sight?! happysnappy General Fly Fishing Discussion 5 03-06-2011 08:45 PM
Mr Trouts Rod ??? ukmric1 Tackle Talk 4 27-03-2009 09:29 AM
Slimey trouts conutskwoky General Fly Fishing Discussion 0 22-06-2007 11:48 PM











All times are GMT. The time now is 07:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
2006-2014 Fish&Fly Ltd