Home | Features | Feature Articles | Fishing in the UK | Action Packed Summer Carp Fly Fishing - Great Fun!

Action Packed Summer Carp Fly Fishing - Great Fun!

By
Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

Allan and JT head to Court Farm Fishery armed with a bag of dog biscuits and some deer hair flies. The surface carp action action was hot!

CLICK HERE to get 5 top tips for success with carp and to read more.

Articles by the same author

Comments (6 posted):

Sunkistbob-SKB on 29/08/2013 16:46:43
I used to do this. Chumming them up with biscuits. Good fun but not really fly-fishing as ground-baiting is not part of this arm of the sport. Fly-rodding is a more accurate description and in that respect it's jolly good fun. Worry like hell as your fly line disappears off the reel and the backing knot you never thought you'd rely on appears through the rod rings! :) But in the death, do it properly eh? ;) Try a Daddy or a big black and red Klink on the surface, or a few lightweight bloodworm patterns subsurface without chumming. You'd be surprised what you can catch that way! :D ATB Rich
JeffR on 29/08/2013 17:30:34
Sunkistbob-SKB on 29/08/2013 18:22:15
Its certainly taking off. I called in to my local tackle (coarse) shop on the way home tonight to pick up some bits n bobs for barbel fishing and i noticed on the counter they had a whole selection of carp deer hair dog biscuit "flies" for the commercial carp match anglers who've now discovered the benefits of a fly rod and a roll cast. I've done a bit of it but i didnt actually find that the carp fought as hard as i expected, not as hard as when caught on float or ledger gear, perhaps because the fly rod and fly line are quite effective shock absorbers? (these were 8-10lb carp i'm referring to) Hi Jeff! My first fly-rod caught fish (over 100 of them) were all carp before I went anywhere near a trout water. Where I fished it was unlikely to get a carp under 15lbs (carp syndicate water) so I had my work cut out and believe me the first one was an eye-opener! :) three turns of backing left, four other anglers swims ruined, bite alarms going off everywhere, the lot, and with a hi-viz orange line I couldn't deny responsibility! :D Having said that, I've latterly dumped the pellets and taken to fishing a Klink or Daddy at dusk on a day ticket water where the average size is only around 9lbs and these don't pull anywhere near as hard, despite me scaling down to a 5# and 5lb line (no snags to worry about). Dusk is best. Carp don't hang themselves like trout. I reckon their eye-sight is far superior as they can spot a tippet a mile off regardless of how much care you take. Mind you, I once hooked a 7lb common down in Essex and that went mental. Must be the southern climate! All the best to you! :thumbs: Rich
JeffR on 29/08/2013 20:05:23
Hi Jeff! the first one was an eye-opener! :) three turns of backing left, four other anglers swims ruined, bite alarms going off everywhere, the lot, and with a hi-viz orange line I couldn't deny responsibility! :D Brilliant! I can just imagine that:D You are right about carp being harder to catch off the top than it looks - but then they do get caught and released A LOT til they start to wise up. I was catching a few smaller ones (5-7lb) off the top last week from a farmer pal's pond, testing it out as our club had an eye on it. When you say about "groundbaiting" and not being quite cricket in fly fishing terms, I was kind of doing things the other way round and "fly fishing" with coarse gear - as in I only had a float rod with me so I was fishing crust with a carp waggler, but holding the bait, poised like a heron, spotting carp as they poked their noses through the lillies slurping away at whatever it is they were slurping at, then flicking out my lump of crust trying to drop it near them - casting to rises type thing:D Pretty fish, some didn't seem to have seen a hook before. The ones I was referring to before are on another club pond which was a former commercial carp match water and is stuffed with them. They did seem less suspicious of a floating bait on the end of a fly line than latched to a controller float though.
Sunkistbob-SKB on 29/08/2013 21:50:44
Brilliant! I can just imagine that:D You are right about carp being harder to catch off the top than it looks - but then they do get caught and released A LOT til they start to wise up. I was catching a few smaller ones (5-7lb) off the top last week from a farmer pal's pond, testing it out as our club had an eye on it. When you say about "groundbaiting" and not being quite cricket in fly fishing terms, I was kind of doing things the other way round and "fly fishing" with coarse gear - as in I only had a float rod with me so I was fishing crust with a carp waggler, but holding the bait, poised like a heron, spotting carp as they poked their noses through the lillies slurping away at whatever it is they were slurping at, then flicking out my lump of crust trying to drop it near them - casting to rises type thing:D Pretty fish, some didn't seem to have seen a hook before. The ones I was referring to before are on another club pond which was a former commercial carp match water and is stuffed with them. They did seem less suspicious of a floating bait on the end of a fly line than latched to a controller float though. The lesson to be learned here is: It's all fishing and to hell with the compartmentalizing. To be honest I couldn't give a flying FFF about how I catch really, coarse or game it's just a fish! A hook with a bait, real or artificial, delivered by the angler's preferred method with a smile on his/her face. That's all that matters in the death isn't it? Kudos to you Jeff as that's an electrifying (and one of the best) ways of catching carp and has inspired me to get the waggler out of the garage for a stint tomorrow sometime if you lot would stop buying SKB gear for a minute and let me go fishing........! :) Thing is, I bake my own bread......a bit like tying your own flies I suppose! :D ATB Rich
JeffR on 29/08/2013 22:41:47
Catching carp on bread you've baked yourself Rich, now THAT'S doing it in style! :cool:
Add/View Comments

• Email to a friend Email to a friend
  • Print version Print version
  • Plain text Plain text

Tagged as:

No tags for this article

Rate this article

Follow FlyFishing & FlyForums!