Costa del Mar - Hammerhead Polarised Sunglasses
Reviewed by Justin Anwyl
Colour Lenses: Sunrise 580
Manufacturer: Costa del Mar
The review pair we received had a black well constructed frame with a high side to prevent Ultraviolet light seeping in from the side (Hammerhead) . Lenses were Copper in colour and the reference for these industry lenses is 580.
This season as well as reviewing clothing and rods at Fish and Fly I have been asked to use the Costa del Mar 580 sunglasses which I have used constantly since we started guiding in March this season 2008. In the early season we experienced extremely intense light in May and since then June and July have presented us with fairly difficult conditions in terms of wind speed and inclement weather. The first thing I noticed was the way these lenses filter the water and reduce the light intensity during the early morning sessions, a real advantage when May was hot and still and the light intensity resembled almost tropical conditions during the dawn periods. These lenses took all the glare off the water, allowing you to see almost three dimensionally to depths where contour and distance would normally become obscured.
The other added advantage that I have found when the weather was more inclement and the surf had churned sedimentation into the top layers was the way that these lenses almost filtered the water and minute particles of sand allowing a much clearer view of the water column.
As a guide they are the best I have used. They are light and highly durable as well as protective against harmful yellow light - I wouldn't leave home without them, brilliant !
Articles by the same author
- Essential Skills - Dry Fly and Mayfly with Oliver Edwards
- New Canadian Beaver report spells doom for Scottish salmon
- Fly Fishing for Atlantic Bass - new book reviewed
- The Streamside Guide - Road Trips
- Wet Fly Fishing on Rivers - Essential Skills with Oliver Edwards
- Venezuelan smorgasbord at Los Roques
- Pope of the Madison
- The principles of layering - the base layer
- Game Fishing by Bob Church
- The Streamside Guide - Planning the Trip