Wychwood Competition fly-box will hold nearly 1,000 flies.
The sheer capacity of this box, approaching 1000 flies, reminds me of those old salmon fly reservoirs. While they were splendid wooden affairs, this modern version is similar in size to some of the latest small notebook computers. It measures 300mm x 200mm x 45mm.
The competition angler will appreciate the measuring slots built into the fastening clips. One measures the maximum size for a competition-dressed fly and the other the maximum competition hook size. So as long as you have the box with you, you will always be able to measure your flies and hooks.
The Wychwood Competition fly-box has clear polycarbonate lids with rubber seals. Rows of pimples should stop the lids getting scratched when placed on a wooden boat seat or thwart. One side is fitted with foam slits which are a foam version of the system found in Fox flyboxes. The other side is fitted with ripple foam. Also available are both sides with the slotted foam or both with ripple foam.
The box will give owners some happy hours filling it with flies.
The Wychwood Competition fly-box retails at a very reasonable £29.99. The box is very good value for money with its vast capacity and solid, water-resistant construction.
Articles by the same author
- Snowbee Prestige 8’ #4 4-piece travel rod - Tackle Review
- Outfit review - Sonik SK3 #3/4 Fly Rod, Reel and Line
- Tactical Fly Fishing by Jeremy Lucas - book review
- Flextec CRX88 10’ 4-piece # 6/7 fly-rod - the review
- Book Review - Wet-Fly Tying and Fishing, by Roger Fogg
- "River Academy – The Complete Mayfly DVD" - the review
- British Fly Fair report from Terry Lawton
- GAIA fly reel from Imago - the review
- Terry Lawton is..... Lost in France
- Wychwood truefly SLA cassette reel - the review