Aleka A3 Fly Rod - 2 Piece 9' 5#
2 piece fly rods are due a bit of a comeback I think and so apparently do new fly fishing brand Aleka. 4 piece rods although convenient for packing and travelling seem to have taken over even in the domestic market these days yet it is so much quicker to put up a 2 piece and a lot of seasoned anglers actually prefer them.
ALEKA A3 FLY ROD - With amazingly crisp action and a remarkably light feel, these rods are simply the best casting fly rod you'll find anywhere for this price. Designed with a medium-fast progressive action taper the A3 Series are perfect for effortlessly casting time after time.
WINNER Tackle Tester's Choice Award! Trout Fisherman December 2011 Issue.
"Although the blank is happy with short and medium range casts, it really started to show its true colours when it came to medium and long range." Robbie Winram
The two-piece rods have smooth, progressive blank taper that loads fast while maintaining the reserve power for distance casting. Engineered to the highest performance standards, these lightweight and highly responsive rod blanks are constructed of new materials and proprietary Arc3™ Technology that dramatically reduce weight, while creating an aggressive blend of power and strength plus maintains the delicate precision for accuracy.
Ultra strong guides, reliable blank and actions that will ensure the very enjoyment of the sport on every cast. The ALEKA A3 Series of rods rival the performance of much more expensive models from other companies, dispelling the myth that a premium fly rod must come at a premium price.
Lightweight and versatile for a wide range of freshwater fish species and environments the olive green blank finish is ideal when using small flies and fine tippets on meadow streams, limestone creeks and other tight places. Available in half wells (abbreviated) and full wells handle with fighting butt for larger water, lake and reservoir fishing.
- Olive green premium-quality high-modulus blanks with Arc3™ Technology creating an amazing medium-fast progressive action
- Incredibly lightweight, smooth casting, powerful and precise
- Built for precision casting and recovers quickly
- 'AAA' Premium-grade Portuguese cork handle and hook keeper
- 2-piece and 4-piece design – ideal for travelling
- Reel seat is machined from lightweight, marine grade aluminum which is then hard anodized in black to prevent corrosion
- Aluminum-oxide stripper guides
- Single leg intermediate guides which are extremely lightweight
- Olive green tyings to match the blank with subtle gold tippings
- High quality bag/sock plus durable hard case tube with strap and carry handle included
- Half wells (abbreviated) and full wells handle with fighting butt
- Backed by the ALEKA Product Warranty and replacement service
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed
As an obviously well-made medium-fast action rod, the Aleka A3 9' 5# model I tested would be perfect for a small stillwater or river angler and is priced to appeal to those new to the sport and also those with an eye for a bargain, particularly while their launch pricing offer of 50% discount applies meaning you can buy this rod for just £64.99 right now!
The olive green blank has a slight sparkle to it but is still subtle and with matching dark-green whippings to the single-leg (flush to the blank) guides it is a nicely understated rod and would not look out of place in any fly fishers arsenal.
Putting it through its paces out on the casting pond was a breeze - no surprises but then I was not expecting any. The medium-fast action will let you slow down your casting stroke to place a fly accurately and delicately but also has enough backbone to shoot a tight loop when needed - very useful for slinging a fly under a overhanging tree for example as well as into a breeze.
There is a fly keeper ring just above the handle but no line-up marks at the joint - still an omission in my mind that I find strange from several manufacturers but then again we all lived without them for long enough and survived the experience so no biggie I guess.
The reel seat is nice and simple, no fancy wood or other trimmings to worry about so this rod can be used and abused as it has been intended and I am betting it would also handle fly fishing for mullet or carp equally well.
I would certainly recommend trying an Aleka rod out if you can - I don't think you will be disappointed but think about it quick while that 50% offer applies!
Buy now and you also get their Top Ten Dry Fly selection worth £12.99 for FREE! Just make sure to add it at checkout.
Here's a link to their website if you want to check this deal out or look around at their other models and products too.
Articles by the same author
- Have-a-go at fishing at the National Fishing Month launch event: Friday 22nd July 2016
- Howsham Weir Fish Passage Consultation for River Derwent
- National Fishing Month 2016 Starts on 26th July
- Anglers Blame Poachers for Sewin Decline in Rivers
- Brown Trout Voted UK's National Fish
- Fisheries Scientist Joins the Battle to Restore our Rivers and Chalkstreams
- Improving Smolt Survival On The Agenda for 2017 Conference
- Lottery Funding For Wylye Water Meadows
- Fly Fishing Charity Day Raises £13k
- World Oceans Day - Focus on Wild Salmon