Patagonia Long Sleeve Overhand Shirt
What to wear when you go fishing can often be a difficult choice if you know you probably have to go somewhere else before or want to socialise afterwards and that tattered old sweatshirt or other usual choice is just not going to cut it. Enter the Patagonia Overhand Shirt!
Patagonia have long been one of the market leaders in cross-functional clothing, taking the best technical designs and materials for great performance in the outdoors but also maximising the appeal and usefulness of their garments so they can be used away from the river or ocean in every day life and not look out of place.
A lightweight, quick-drying, recycled-polyester/organic cotton shirt with 20-UPF sun protection and tropic-friendly features, including a tricot mesh inside the back yoke, zippered chest pockets and roll-up sleeves.
This shirt thrives on hard use - stuff it into the far reaches of your duffle, wash it over some rocks, wear it with a loaded backpack on a muggy day then out to dinner afterwards. The lightweight fabric blend of 65% recycled polyester and 35% organic cotton provides 20-UPF sun protection, dries quickly and lets your heat escape. Tricot mesh lining on the back yoke and chest pockets increase airflow and wick moisture. A low-profile button and tab keeps sleeves rolled-up; invisible zippers secure the chest pockets.
- Lightweight, breathable, recycled polyester/organic cotton blend with 20-UPF sun protection
- Button-front shirt with a biased placket, front yoke and polyester tricot mesh on inside-back yoke
- Zippered chest pockets with polyester tricot mesh pocket bags
- Sleeves roll up and secure with tab and button
- Shirt-tail hem
- 3.4-oz 65% all-recycled polyester/35% organic cotton plain weave, with 20-UPF sun protection
- 243 g (8.6 oz)
- Made in Thailand.
Recycled Polyester - we recycle used soda bottles, unusable second quality fabrics and worn out garments into polyester fibers to produce many of our clothes.
I've been wearing this shirt a lot over the summer and found it to be very comfortable either on its own or underneath a light rainjacket or softshell when necessary. I have worn it to the office, out shopping, down the pub and oh yes, I've even been fishing in it too! The point being that I felt comfortable no matter where I was.
The Overhand is not styled purely as a fishing shirt with loops and mesh panels everywhere but as an everyday wear item that just so happens to have some great technical construction that allows it to breathe easily thanks to the polyester/cotton blend with a 20 UPF sun protection factor, and which also helps reduce creasing keeping it looking fresh still at the end of a long day (mud and fish slime not withstanding!)
I trialled the long-sleeved version which includes the usual tab and button arrangement on the sleeves but there is also a short-sleeved version too. One particular thing I liked was the length of the shirt is perfect for tucking in and staying in or leaving loose over shorts or jeans.
It comes in a choice of 3 colours - Mission Olive, White or Blueblack. Overall a very smart addition to your wardrobe, fishing or otherwise!
The Patagonia website lists the original price of this shirt as £80 but now is selling this at a much more reasonable £48. Click here to buy.
Articles by the same author
- Have-a-go at fishing at the National Fishing Month launch event: Friday 22nd July 2016
- Howsham Weir Fish Passage Consultation for River Derwent
- National Fishing Month 2016 Starts on 26th July
- Anglers Blame Poachers for Sewin Decline in Rivers
- Brown Trout Voted UK's National Fish
- Fisheries Scientist Joins the Battle to Restore our Rivers and Chalkstreams
- Improving Smolt Survival On The Agenda for 2017 Conference
- Lottery Funding For Wylye Water Meadows
- Fly Fishing Charity Day Raises £13k
- World Oceans Day - Focus on Wild Salmon