Snowbee Classic Combo Kit 9' #5/6
With quality fly fishing gear being available at all price levels these days, no longer should all Combo Kits be necessarily viewed only as suitable for complete beginners or as a first fly fishing outfit. Snowbee prove that with their Classic Combo, fly fishers of all levels should consider these an option.
Our new Classic Combo Kits offer amazing value for money, for a quality boxed 4-pce Fly Rod, Reel and Line kit, ready to start you fishing.
The kits include:
- Our new 4-pce Classic Fly Rod – A high modulus, lightweight graphite fly rod, with an easy action for effortless casting.
- High-lift snake guides, A-grade cork handle, lightweight graphite reel seat and a quality cloth rod bag.
- Lightweight graphite fly reel with off-set drag, pre-loaded with backing, fly-line and leader.
- Quality Snowbee Classic Floating fly line in weight-forward profile.
Available in 3 models:
10072 Classic Combo Kit 8’6” #4/5 4-pce : Ideal for river or small still waters and makes a great ‘Starter Kit’ for juniors.
10074 Classic Combo Kit 9’6” #6/7 4-pce : An ideal larger still water or reservoir kit. The longer, more powerful rod providing that extra distance often required on larger waters.
10073 Classic Combo Kit 9’0” #5/6 4-pce : A good ‘all-round’ kit equally at home on the river, still water or reservoir.
I took this outfit in a box down to Dever Springs a few weeks ago to give it a run against the resident rainbow trout. Because the included reel is already loaded with backing, a balanced fly line and a leader all you need to do is tie on a fly and get fishing. This is a very good idea as it really does mean you could give this to anyone and apart from a quick rummage in the fly bins at the lodge they are good to go. Due to the line being on the reel though it does benefit from a quick stretch before you start but I was pleasantly surprised to find it had a low memory and the coils and kinks I expected to see throughout the day did not materialise.
In use, once I had slowed my cast to adjust for the softer action than my normal rods, I found this was a really nice outfit to use. The rod, reel and line all being from Snowbee balanced perfectly, making it a joy to cast. I could place a fly at moderate distance or also roll-cast under trees when stalking and it handled the thrashings of a few 5lb trout well enough as you would expect. I did not sadly get a chance to see how it would handle one of their double-figure fish but there's always a next time.
Combos or box kits like this have largely until now been thought of as the obvious choice for beginners and that remains very true. However, I would go on to say that a beginner would also find they would continue to use this outfit long after they had become proficient and therefore I would happily recommend this to more seasoned fly fishers looking for a nice budget outfit or a backup kit. Coming in at under £100 this would make a great Christmas or birthday present if you are feeling flush and really is a great way to give beginners a head start in our sport. The quality of tackle available now at these prices is of course far better now than ever before and you would happily buy these products individually so don't let the box make this think this is not for you.
Articles by the same author
- Fish the Flow Country
- Major Improvements Planned for Upper River Kennet
- Fish Legal 'Right to Know' Battle Reaches Court
- Digital Marketeer – Fulling Mill
- Ireland Win 2014 Home International Bank Competition
- Join Sportfish Reading for a FREE Learn How to Lure Fish for Perch Event
- Big Stocked Browns are Easier to Catch…
- National Bodies Demand Action for Angling
- Sportfish Open Day and End of Season Sale
- Win £100 of Flies this Christmas