Irish Sea Trout Championship
County Kerry’s Lough Currane took centre stage for the annual sea trout fly fishing championship, hosted by Waterville Fisheries Development Group (WFDG).
Source: Irish Times
The two-day competition, now in its 10th year, was deemed to be a resounding success with 76 fish, some to 2kg, recorded and released from what is designated as ‘the sea trout capital’ of Ireland.
Conditions on opening day were good with overcast skies and blustery conditions, which led to a return of 45 fish, including two in the 50cm bracket. Day two brought a different challenge with slack winds reducing somewhat the size and number of fish caught but nevertheless, a further 31 over 25cm succumbed to the imitations.
Following a keenly fought contest, Eugene McCarthy from Macroom, Co Cork emerged a clear winner with 179 points to take the coveted Perpetual Cup and a €1,000 tackle voucher from Emerger Tackle.
Eugene found success with a cast of Fiery Brown, Green Peter and a Silver Invicta, and said:
“I fish this competition most years, except last year because my daughter got married that weekend!
I enjoyed my day with top boatman and ghillie, Neil O’Shea. We tried the well known lies at Morgan’s Rock and the mouth of Coppel and Cummeragh rivers and it was the latter lie, close to the reed beds, where I raised a grilse and landed a nice sea trout on a Stoat’s Tail.”
First – Eugene McCarthy (Cork), 179 points, €1,000 Emerger Tackle voucher.
Second – J Meagher (Tipperary), 172 points, Sage Rod.
Third – J Curnow (Cork), 170 points, electric outboard (Angling Media).
Longest fish – K Synott, 52cm.
Read the full report via the Irish Times HERE
Articles by the same author
- Fish Legal Acts on Wild Brown Trout ‘Wipe Out’
- Fly for Pike with Farlows
- New Parliament 'Voice for Angling'
- Yorkshire Salmon are Returning
- Grayling Return to South Yorkshire’s River Rother
- River Ure Salmon Project to Be Celebrated At ‘Big Fish’ Event
- Salmon and Trout Association Riverfly Census Update
- WCSRT Updated Fishing Opportunities
- Sea Trout Fishing the Old Way
- Wessex Chalk Stream and Rivers Trust Prime Fishing Offers!