Rare Fly Fishing Book up for Grabs
A rare and historic copy of one of the definitive guides to angling could reach tens of thousands of pounds when it goes under the hammer this autumn.
Source: Wiltshire Business Online
A copy of William Blacker's Art of Angling, and Complete System of Fly Making, and Dying of Colours is being sold at Moore, Allen & Innocent's book auction in Cirencester on 25 October and is already generating considerable interest amongst collectors.
The book's author was a prominent fishing tackle dealer in Dean Street, Soho and an accomplished angler whose revolutionary methods made the book a key work in the history of fly fishing. In common with other early editions of the tome the book is enclosed in a leather wallet in the style of an angler's fly pouch.
The 48-page book is also illustrated with plates and actual flies and fly tying specimens, which are attached to the pages with silk thread and silver seals. No two copies of these early versions are the same but what makes this version rarer still is that it is self-published.
Auctioneer Philip Allwood said:
“First editions of Blacker's Art of Angling were printed in London and Edinburgh, but we can find reference to no other example of this work being printed by Howlett & Son.
Add to this the fact that this volume has been self-published, and what we could have on our hands is a first impression of the first edition of this definitive guide to angling and fly making, a book so invaluable to anglers that it is still in print 171 years after it was first published.”
Anyone interested in acquiring the book will be able to examine it when it goes on display at Moore Allen & Innocent's Sporting Sale on 30 August.
Articles by the same author
- Fish Legal Acts on Wild Brown Trout ‘Wipe Out’
- Fly for Pike with Farlows
- New Parliament 'Voice for Angling'
- Yorkshire Salmon are Returning
- Grayling Return to South Yorkshire’s River Rother
- River Ure Salmon Project to Be Celebrated At ‘Big Fish’ Event
- Salmon and Trout Association Riverfly Census Update
- WCSRT Updated Fishing Opportunities
- Sea Trout Fishing the Old Way
- Wessex Chalk Stream and Rivers Trust Prime Fishing Offers!