Salmon & Trout Conservation Job Opportunity
S&TC is looking for a full-time MSc graduate in an aquatic science/conservation discipline to join their team.
Salmon & Trout Conservation UK (S&TC UK) is looking to employ a Scientific Assistant to support its senior science and policy staff.
S&TC UK is a fisheries charity established in 1903 to address the damage done to our rivers by the Industrial Revolution. Since then, S&TC UK has worked to protect fish stocks and the wider aquatic environment for the public benefit. Their charitable objectives empower them to address all issues affecting fish and the aquatic environment, supported by evidence from their scientific network.
This position gives an ideal opportunity for a post graduate scientist to join a campaigning fisheries conservation charity with a strong reputation for influencing local and national policies, using sound scientific evidence gained from internal and external research.
Assist with the delivery and collection of science studies required for campaigns. This currently includes:
• analysis of invertebrate sampling results from the S&TC Riverfly Census
• maintaining the Census database
• organising collection of water samples from rivers and delivery to analytical departments at universities and commercial companies
• Social media liaison: point of contact for S&TC UK's social media operations, coordinating with Comms team
• Regular reviewing and updating of website content, with particular emphasis on 'layman's' scientific information and evidence-based policy
• Support for Trustees and senior staff in providing information and preparing presentations
• Assisting with general administration
• Assisting with policy issues and attending meetings to support senior staff with scientific input
The successful candidate will be
• preferably educated to MSc - but minimum 2:1 BSc - level in an aquatic science/conservation discipline
• literate in all aspects of relevant IT
• thoroughly conversant with managing scientific datasets, while also being able to present these succinctly to non-scientists
• a competent report writer and communicator
• thoroughly conversant with all aspects of social media
• confident in face to face and telephone communication
• able to administer both office and external projects
The successful candidate will be based at S&TC UK's Fordingbridge, Hampshire, office and will report directly to the Chief Executive Officer, but will also work closely with the Head of Science, the Freshwater Campaigns Consultant and the Communications team.
Salary range £22-24,000 pa
Prospective candidates should reply by email, enclosing a covering letter and updated CV, to Debbie Creasy at Debbie@salmon-trout.org
The closing date for applications is Friday March 18th 2016
Articles by the same author
- Have-a-go at fishing at the National Fishing Month launch event: Friday 22nd July 2016
- Howsham Weir Fish Passage Consultation for River Derwent
- National Fishing Month 2016 Starts on 26th July
- Anglers Blame Poachers for Sewin Decline in Rivers
- Brown Trout Voted UK's National Fish
- Fisheries Scientist Joins the Battle to Restore our Rivers and Chalkstreams
- Improving Smolt Survival On The Agenda for 2017 Conference
- Lottery Funding For Wylye Water Meadows
- Fly Fishing Charity Day Raises £13k
- World Oceans Day - Focus on Wild Salmon