Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Default Red tic like things?!

    Spooned a fish recently and found a few small living tic like things in it. They were about the size of a small pin head, red like a lady bird (might even have a small black dot) and wee black legs out the front like a tic you’d find on a cat or dog. Anybody know what these really are?
    Last edited by 11foot5; 24-06-2019 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Add an extra word

  2. #2

    Default Re: Red tic like things?!

    Quote Originally Posted by 11foot5 View Post
    Spooned a fish recently and found a few small living tic like things in it. They were about the size of a small pin head, red like a lady bird (might even have a small black dot) and wee black legs out the front like a tic you’d find on a cat or dog. Anybody know what these really are?
    Water mites, Rich. Jimmy and I call them 'Biffas', after Biffa Bacon in Viz and due to their indestructibility. Being eaten by a fish doesn't seem to bother them - they are still alive when you get home and gut it - probably pass through its intestine and out the other end and carry on as if nothing had happened!

    Col
    Please note that any views expressed in this post may be those of the
    originator and do not necessarily reflect those of the reader.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Central Scotland
    Posts
    3,446

    Default Re: Red tic like things?!

    They can't be Water Mites Col. According to scientific research they are distasteful to fish

    Water Mites - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

    But.......they then go on to say that there can be significant numbers of some in trout's stomachs, go figure
    Don't worry, be happy.
    Sandy
    Carried it in full, then carry it out empty.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Fife
    Posts
    7,480

    Default Re: Red tic like things?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishtales View Post
    They can't be Water Mites Col. According to scientific research they are distasteful to fish

    Water Mites - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

    But.......they then go on to say that there can be significant numbers of some in trout's stomachs, go figure
    Yeah the books say they don’t like alders either....another falsehood.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dorset Wilts Borders & Baja
    Posts
    2,522
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Red tic like things?!

    Have had very similar last season on Farmoor Reservoir in Oxfordshire.Like tiny red spiders.Another mystery solved.I did some limited research and settled for ''spider mites''.

    JP

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Maryland, USA
    Posts
    179

    Default Re: Red tic like things?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishtales View Post
    They can't be Water Mites Col. According to scientific research they are distasteful to fish

    Water Mites - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics

    But.......they then go on to say that there can be significant numbers of some in trout's stomachs, go figure
    OTOH, water mites are parasitic on other insects. Perhaps the trout were feeding on those other insects and ingested the mite with them.
    Bob

  7. #7

    Default Re: Red tic like things?!

    Thanks Gents, I'll settle for water mites then. Maybe ingested in the process of eating something else, and not intentionally taken for food. If that's the case, not worth imitating.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Red tic like things?!

    Quote Originally Posted by 11foot5 View Post
    Thanks Gents, I'll settle for water mites then. Maybe ingested in the process of eating something else, and not intentionally taken for food. If that's the case, not worth imitating.
    I am sure that trout eat them, based on the number of times I have found them to be about the only thing in a trout's stomach. However, given their tiny size, I doubt you could imitate them.

    Col
    Please note that any views expressed in this post may be those of the
    originator and do not necessarily reflect those of the reader.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    In between the old and new Arsenal grounds
    Posts
    8,625

    Default Re: Red tic like things?!

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Fishy View Post
    I am sure that trout eat them, based on the number of times I have found them to be about the only thing in a trout's stomach. However, given their tiny size, I doubt you could imitate them.

    Col
    possibly something red to suggest them
    back when we used to fish queen mother reservoir aka Datchet
    we would fish lead core heads,mine had red amnesia running line,that got lots of "taps"both on the drop and on the retrieve.
    my boat partner fishing simarly but with Dons tapeworm (blue)didn't get a similar response.
    at the time I suspected blood worm feeders, but a vague memory of wee red "bits" in the spoonings springs to mind.

    Sent from my SM-J250F using Tapatalk
    Andy Wren
    Still fishing but slowly!

  10. #10

    Default Re: Red tic like things?!

    Quote Originally Posted by ACW View Post
    possibly something red to suggest them
    back when we used to fish queen mother reservoir aka Datchet
    we would fish lead core heads,mine had red amnesia running line,that got lots of "taps"both on the drop and on the retrieve.
    my boat partner fishing simarly but with Dons tapeworm (blue)didn't get a similar response.
    at the time I suspected blood worm feeders, but a vague memory of wee red "bits" in the spoonings springs to mind.

    Sent from my SM-J250F using Tapatalk
    A while back, I happened to whip the loop in the end of a clear polyleader with Fire-Orange UNI thread. I had to change it after getting loads of 'pointless' takes to it!
    Please note that any views expressed in this post may be those of the
    originator and do not necessarily reflect those of the reader.

Similar Threads

  1. Things you find when looking for other things.
    By fredaevans in forum Salmon Fishing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 29-12-2017, 10:50 PM
  2. Forum - Good things - Bad things
    By eddleston123 in forum General Fly Fishing Discussion
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 14-12-2013, 07:57 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •