Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Results 51 to 60 of 60
  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dorset Wilts Borders & Baja
    Posts
    2,167
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dropper knots fluorocarbon

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Ruffe View Post
    Just what are the advantages of fluorocarbon - for us lesser anglers?

    Tommy you have been around here long enough to know.No intent to demean any fly fishers capabilities.I do however get the drift some do not really grasp the fundamentals of using the ''product'' fishing teams of flies on a reservoir.I will add the ''fish no see'' factor has nothing to do with it.

    Best JP

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by olive_dabbler View Post
    The only significant ones in my book are its abrasion and UV resistance and the fact that it absorbs water much less than nylon copolymers. A fluorocarbon coated nylon copolymer such as Asso Double Strength has those same characteristics. This guy does a somewhat crude experiment on visibility and sink rate but, not surprisingly, his copper john is the determinant in sink rate. (Ignore the fact that he's actually comparing a fluorocarbon with a PTFE coated nylon, not a straight nylon copolymer monofilament, that doesn't affect its density though will affect its refractive index!).

    Really once again dabbler wide of the mark.

    Best JP

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dorset Wilts Borders & Baja
    Posts
    2,167
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dropper knots fluorocarbon

    Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Very true. How many are using the upward facing tag for the dropper fly, for example? How many get broken from time to time by close in fish taking hard which they do from time to time? It is very difficult to avoid a break under those circumstances.

    Any leader material, and any knot will break under the right circumstances, and the most common factor in knot failure is operator error. Cold, wet fingers, windy conditions, fish rising all over the place, blinding hot day and sweat running into the eyes, bad temper because we've just had another tangle plus any other set of circumstances anyone cares to mention can and do contribute.

    Also, lots of chat about sink rates and the assumption that fluoro sinks at xx times faster than nylon. How do we know that under fishing conditions? Is someone sitting down there at 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10' with a stopwatch making comparisons?
    At least Bob you are on a similar wavelength but have to withdraw as straying from the thread again.Could be a stand alone thread but have to ask myself why go there ? I tend to follow tips from folks who I respect and who have well proven credentials including world champions and most capped for England fly fisher amongst them.I can only shine the light I really have no wish to argue about it/justify it I have no need.Take care and be lucky.

    Best JP

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Wiltshire
    Posts
    6,470

    Default Re: Dropper knots fluorocarbon

    Always a problem JP when trying to answer two posts in one. Personally I believe that fluoro offers advantages, including the fact that it sinks, over conventional mono. As I've stated before on here, back in the reservoir dry fly revolution in the '80's we'd have given anything for a fine, clear leader material that sank and didn't need constant degreasing. Now we have one and people complain because it DOES sink.

    Newer mono's have to a large extent caught up and offer similar advantages at considerably less cost. For example I am moving more and more towards Gigafish Ultra which is as fine as premium fluoro, but at less than half the price.

    Onward and upward, as they say!

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dorset Wilts Borders & Baja
    Posts
    2,167
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dropper knots fluorocarbon

    Quote Originally Posted by BobP View Post
    Always a problem JP when trying to answer two posts in one. Personally I believe that fluoro offers advantages, including the fact that it sinks, over conventional mono. As I've stated before on here, back in the reservoir dry fly revolution in the '80's we'd have given anything for a fine, clear leader material that sank and didn't need constant degreasing. Now we have one and people complain because it DOES sink.

    Newer mono's have to a large extent caught up and offer similar advantages at considerably less cost. For example I am moving more and more towards Gigafish Ultra which is as fine as premium fluoro, but at less than half the price.

    Onward and upward, as they say!
    I am with you on that one Bob as you know I am an avid user of Gigafish and have been for some years since fellow forumite Gadusmorhua sold me a rod and gave the heads up.I tend to use it mainly for dries and close to the surface fishing.Must try it deeper like your buzzer rigs.

    Best JP

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dorset Wilts Borders & Baja
    Posts
    2,167
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dropper knots fluorocarbon

    Sorry website gliche.Post deleted.

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Welland Valley
    Posts
    3,085

    Default Re: Dropper knots fluorocarbon

    Quote Originally Posted by JCP View Post


    Really once again dabbler wide of the mark.

    Best JP
    Really, explain, or are you full of puddings?

  7. #57

    Default Re: Dropper knots fluorocarbon

    Quote Originally Posted by JCP View Post
    Tommy you have been around here long enough to know.No intent to demean any fly fishers capabilities.I do however get the drift some do not really grasp the fundamentals of using the ''product'' fishing teams of flies on a reservoir.I will add the ''fish no see'' factor has nothing to do with it.
    Did you see the next video? It's an abrasion test, mono vs fluo. Mono wins by a long way. It's possibly why I think it's 'brittle'.

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ecclesfield Parish
    Posts
    3,513

    Default Re: Dropper knots fluorocarbon

    I think you will find that fluorocarbon is very temperamental and that the advantages , if any, it gives are miniscule to say the least! I've been dabbling with 8lb Maxima fluorocarbon this season and while it has, generally, been OK I have had three 'break-offs' on droppers. I have now sussed out what has happened. I've been fishing in shallow water and, on three occasions now, taken fish on the dropper fly. While playing the fish the point fly has caught bottom, or grass, and the fish, now pulling against the point fly has snapped the figure-of-eight dropper knot like cotton as it's now pulling in the opposite direction. Once more, for me, fluorocarbon has failed to prove it's worth and I'll be staying with Ultragreen from now on.

    Even the aficionados of fluorocarbon have had to experiment with knots to see which ones their particular favourite brand will accept. Maxima Ultragreen (or any premium standard nylon for that matter) will accept any knot without fuss - tells you something don't it!
    Last edited by Tommy Ruffe; 01-05-2018 at 10:54 AM.
    There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot - Lefty Kreh

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Dorset Wilts Borders & Baja
    Posts
    2,167
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Dropper knots fluorocarbon

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy Ruffe View Post
    I think you will find that fluorocarbon is very temperamental and that the advantages , if any, it gives are miniscule to say the least! I've been dabbling with 8lb Maxima fluorocarbon this season and while it has, generally, been OK I have had three 'break-offs' on droppers. I have now sussed out what has happened. I've been fishing in shallow water and, on three occasions now, taken fish on the dropper fly. While playing the fish the point fly has caught bottom, or grass, and the fish, now pulling against the point fly has snapped the figure-of-eight dropper knot like cotton as it's now pulling in the opposite direction. Once more, for me, fluorocarbon has failed to prove it's worth and I'll be staying with Ultragreen from now on.


    Even the aficionados of fluorocarbon have had to experiment with knots to see which ones their particular favourite brand will accept. Maxima Ultragreen (or any premium standard nylon for that matter) will accept any knot without fuss - tells you something don't it!
    Given your extremely well documented track record with tippet and knots Tommy yes it does tell us something

    Best. JP

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Ecclesfield Parish
    Posts
    3,513

    Default Re: Dropper knots fluorocarbon

    Quote Originally Posted by JCP View Post
    Given your extremely well documented track record with tippet and knots Tommy yes it does tell us something

    Best. JP
    Joking asside, in 45 years of fly fishing, I've never had any issues with Maxima or the line I used back in the 70s, Bayer Superlon.
    There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot - Lefty Kreh

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Similar Threads

  1. Dropper knots in fluorocarbon
    By keith1 in forum General Fly Fishing Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 26-07-2010, 12:38 PM
  2. Dropper knots??
    By holygrailnymph in forum Tackle Talk
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 29-10-2009, 08:40 AM
  3. Dropper knots/tying
    By grahamn in forum Tackle Talk
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-08-2008, 03:00 PM
  4. Dropper Knots
    By CORONA in forum General Fly Fishing Discussion
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 19-06-2008, 10:12 PM
  5. Dropper Knots
    By Farrell23 in forum General Fly Fishing Discussion
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 24-10-2007, 05:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •