Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    MJB Guest

    Default Tutti-Frutti Ray's Fly.

    A camp variation on Ray Bondero's original (Original is white, yellow, olive wing). I've found this fly particularly useful for picking out better fish when you're being plagued by 8" 'Checkers' and have taken Bass to over 6lb with it. Quite fragile for a saltwater fly, but it can make the difference between success and failure on a tough day.


    Hook: Standard saltwater, size4 - 2/0.
    Thread: Clear mono.
    Body: Flat mylar (silver)
    Wing:White,pink,yellow,lime bucktail. Four strands of 'Crystal Flash', 4-6 pieces of Peacock herl.
    Eyes: 2.5mm Tape eyes.

    Step 1:Tie in thread at head and catch in flat tinsel.



    Step 2:Wind tinsel down shank and back up to head and tie off. Coat with a smear of superglue to increase durability.

    Step 3::Tie in a sparse bunch of white bucktail, slightly longer than the hook, at the head.



    Step 4:Add a sparse pinch of pink bucktail on top of white. Make each layer slightly longer than the previous.



    Step 5: Add 4 strands of flash.



    Step 6:Add a sparse pinch of yellow bucktail, again slightly longer than the pink.



    Step 6:Add lime bucktail, again slightly longer than previous layer.



    Step 7: Finish wing with 4-6 strands of peacock herl, stick on eyes and finish head with a couple of coats of varnish or a dab of epoxy.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    home
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    Excellent MJB, very girly, but excellent none the less.

    Re: The durability, I take it you mean the body. Have you tried giving the body a light coat of epoxy, or over-wrapping it with monofill?
    All done

  3. #3
    MJB Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scotfly
    Re: The durability, I take it you mean the body. Have you tried giving the body a light coat of epoxy, or over-wrapping it with monofill?
    I find a smear of superglue does the trick. The wing gets chewed up pretty quickly, so I don't see the sense in going overboard by messing about with epoxy.

    Wrapping with mono........Then it would be a 'Glass Minnow' variant.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    home
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    Synthetic hair instead?

    Quote Originally Posted by MJB
    I find a smear of superglue does the trick. The wing gets chewed up pretty quickly, so I don't see the sense in going overboard by messing about with epoxy.

    Yes it would, and a good fly it is.
    Shrink tube?

    Quote Originally Posted by MJB
    Wrapping with mono........Then it would be a 'Glass Minnow' variant.
    Only trying to save you money MJB
    All done

  5. #5
    MJB Guest

    Default

    Dennis,

    I've played around with DNA Holofusion and Frosty Fibres on this fly and the action just doesn't compare to the natural hair. It would probably be o.k. if you spent your day aimlessly stripping the fly back, but I like to fish my flies on the drift or swing if I can. Can't comment on whether it makes the fly more 'chew' resistant yet.

    A for trying to save money, I shall resist the temptation to mention national stereotypes . I'm a convert to SWFF from beachcasting and work on the principle that to put a decent size worm bait on a hook would cost 30p-50p, 2 hook rigs so 60p-1 a cast, fresh bait every 15-20 minutes meant a bait bill of around 15-20 a fishing session. If the fly lasts me 5 fish and costs around 50p to tie, I'd say it's a bargain in comparison.

  6. #6
    Upstream Spider Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJB
    Dennis,


    A for trying to save money, I shall resist the temptation to mention national stereotypes . I'm a convert to SWFF from beachcasting and work on the principle that to put a decent size worm bait on a hook would cost 30p-50p, 2 hook rigs so 60p-1 a cast, fresh bait every 15-20 minutes meant a bait bill of around 15-20 a fishing session. If the fly lasts me 5 fish and costs around 50p to tie, I'd say it's a bargain in comparison.
    An excellent point, and one which is often forgotten! It is also a lot better than digging worms or searching for peeler, etc etc!

    TL
    MC

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    home
    Posts
    2,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJB
    A for trying to save money, I shall resist the temptation to mention national stereotypes . I'm a convert to SWFF from beachcasting and work on the principle that to put a decent size worm bait on a hook would cost 30p-50p, 2 hook rigs so 60p-1 a cast, fresh bait every 15-20 minutes meant a bait bill of around 15-20 a fishing session. If the fly lasts me 5 fish and costs around 50p to tie, I'd say it's a bargain in comparison.
    National stereotypes indeed.
    I don't know what you mean.
    You bought your worms Always dug for mine.... Cheaper

    Strongly agree with you regarding the difference in action between natural hair and synthetics. I prefer natural whenever possible, especially with woman
    All done

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •