Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. Default Tying a Sparse DNA Clouser

    DNA Clouser (SPARSE VERSION)


    Hook: Mustad C70 SD
    Size:4 #
    Thread: Dyneema
    Eyes: Real eyes 5/32 Yellow and Black
    Tail materials: DNA Holofusion White and DNA Frosty Fish Fibre Dark Olive
    Other Items - fulling mill super glue

    This is a fly must have been my No 1 Fish catcher in 2006 I must have had over 150 Bass on this pattern tied in these colours. Not only is it effective but it is very easy to tie. Mackerel go crazy for this pattern as do Bass and Pollack. It is a very realistic sandeel pattern and also extremely hard wearing. This particular method of tying could easily be applied to bonefish flies also as the Hofusion doubles up as body and wing. How useful is that!
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    Step 1

    Tie in White or Polar Holofusion in at the shank in the same manner as a tail




    Step 2

    Apply Fulling Mill Super Glue to the shank in then add a couple of twists to the Holofusion and wind back up the shank then secure down with a few wraps of Dyneema.



    Step 3

    Now wind the thread back into position and tie in the eyes . This is a great way to tie in the eyes as the body provides a snugg base for the eyes hense they are unlikely to twist



    Step 4

    Reverse the Holofusion back and add a couple of wraps to secure into position. Please note that when I tied this fly I used a very long length of material this was rather wasteful.




    Step 5

    Add a sparce overwing of Dark Olive DNA Frosty Fish Fibres ,Trim ,whip finish. Add superglue or head cement.



    Trim the fly to size and Taperize useing Taperizing scissors or a decent pair of sharp scissors

    Here are a few straight out of the box . I had to remove the loop knots for the pictures!

  2. #2
    MJB Guest

    Default

    Nice one Oz.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    200

    Default

    Nice easy clouser pattern fella.

  4. #4

    Default

    Nice pattern Barri,

    Also nice Snowbee Waldron
    Wild, Dangerous, Unfettered and Free

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    27

    Default

    What is the main difference between a Clouser and a Crazy Charlie? As far i can see it's the two coloured wing on the Clouser whereas the Charlie's wing contains only one colour.

  6. #6
    MJB Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MagnusH
    What is the main difference between a Clouser and a Crazy Charlie? As far i can see it's the two coloured wing on the Clouser whereas the Charlie's wing contains only one colour.
    The wing on a charlie is much shorter. Also the charlie usually has a body of tinsel overwrapped with mono. The traditional tying of a clouser has a section of wing tied both above and below the hookshank (See here ), whereas the charlie only has the wing tied in on one side (originally this was a pair of hackle tips, not calf tail). You could argue that this fly is a charlie variant, but the length of the wing suggests clouser to me.

    On a historical note the crazy charlie was a name given in an Orvis catalogue. The originator named the fly 'Nasty Charlie' after the guide he was using kept saying that the fly was 'nasty' as a reference to it's effectiveness when other patterns were failing to catch.
    Last edited by MJB; 12-01-2007 at 12:15 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJB
    The wing on a charlie is much shorter. Also the charlie usually has a body of tinsel overwrapped with mono. The traditional tying of a clouser has a section of wing tied both above and below the hookshank (See here ), whereas the charlie only has the wing tied in on one side (originally this was a pair of hackle tips, not calf tail). You could argue that this fly is a charlie variant, but the length of the wing suggests clouser to me.

    On a historical note the crazy charlie was a name given in an Orvis catalogue. The originator named the fly 'Nasty Charlie' after the guide he was using kept saying that the fly was 'nasty' as a reference to it's effectiveness when other patterns were failing to catch.
    Ok, so the fly above maybe should be called 'Crazy DNA Clouser'.... or maybe not...

  8. Default

    I can live with that !!

    I like it cheers !!

    Some names just stick

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by barramundi
    I can live with that !!

    I like it cheers !!

    Some names just stick
    I really like the fly, don't get me wrong. No disrespect whatsoever intended.
    I tie my crazies with something called lazer wrap so I'm not exactly what you call a textbook tyer.

  10. Default

    No Worries

    I like the name from now on its gonna be a Crazy DNA sparse Clouser Olive and white. Or is that a bit too long ??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •