Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  54
Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast
Results 121 to 130 of 147
  1. #121

    Default Re: Missing fish with dry flies?

    Quote Originally Posted by ohanzee View Post
    You should try fishing standing up, after 6pm
    Why, what happens then? Does some magical fishing God throw a switch and suddenly insects are hatching and fish are rising on every loch in the land, 6:00 p.m. until dark, from 15th March to 7th October? Aye, right! I was fishing a loch on Saturday evening, it so happens. As usual, the wind didn't drop until the last half hour, by which time the temperature was plummeting. With about 15 minutes of light left, some sedges started hatching and a few fish started to rise here and there, though they were only up once. I caught 4, all on dry fly, mostly out-the-blue, earlier in the night.

    You seem to think an angler has to be a wet fly puller or a dry fly fisher? That's bollox. Over a season, I fish dry fly more than I pull wets. I also fish nymphs, washing line, big lures... the whole scope of it. I'll fish whatever method seems the best proposition, given the situation. It also means I can fish whenever I choose to. I don't have to sit on my thumb waiting until last knockings, hoping I get a chance to cast to a fish. It also means I can fish any day, anywhere. It also means I can have a chance of some good fish - overwintered grown-on rainbows, salmon, sea trout and ferox. I'm not restricting myself to catching half pound brownies from the bank of a hill loch at last knockings... twice a year.

    Oh, and here is a man fishing standing up after 6 p.m. for your collection...


    Please note that any views expressed in this post may be those of the
    originator and do not necessarily reflect those of the reader.

  2. #122
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    541
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Missing fish with dry flies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Fishy View Post
    Gonny no' be a smart-arse? You reckoned they were easy to catch when they were 'taking'. The fact you mention it alludes to you having fished lochs enough to appreciate there are many times when they are not 'taking'. 'Taking' meaning 'feeding'. How else can you interpret that? It's the guys who can catch them when they are not actively feeding, not 'in the mood'... when they are 'switched off'... when they are 'fed-up' (to use the falconry definition) that sort the sheep from the goats in this game. And the best of them would open your eyes, I can assure you.
    You and your Scots banter. What are you like!

    When they're not feeding, I hypnotise them. But how I do it is a secret. Is it the best of the sheep or goats who'd open my eyes? I've seen a few sheep by lochs, though I cannot recall any goats, so ergo it must be the sheep.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by 3lbgrayling View Post
    Secret angler.are you there.??

    Jim
    .....Where?

  3. #123

    Default Re: Missing fish with dry flies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Secret Angler View Post
    You and your Scots banter. What are you like!

    When they're not feeding, I hypnotise them. But how I do it is a secret. Is it the best of the sheep or goats who'd open my eyes? I've seen a few sheep by lochs, though I cannot recall any goats, so ergo it must be the sheep.

    - - - Updated - - -



    .....Where?
    I feel a bit underwhelmed at that response if I am being honest Secret Angler. I had high hopes you would come back with something thought-provoking, something tasty, even something semi-decent rather than that. It was just a bit meh...

  4. #124
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    London
    Posts
    541
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Missing fish with dry flies?

    Quote Originally Posted by sagecirca View Post
    I feel a bit underwhelmed at that response if I am being honest Secret Angler. I had high hopes you would come back with something thought-provoking, something tasty, even something semi-decent rather than that. It was just a bit meh...
    You'll just have to go ahead and provoke your own thoughts.

  5. #125

    Default Re: Missing fish with dry flies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Fishy View Post

    You seem to think an angler has to be a wet fly puller or a dry fly fisher?
    You seem to think I think an awful lot of things, and feel you need justify an awful lot of things for no reason, attack me all you wish but it appears to me you are having an argument with yourself.

  6. #126

    Default Re: Missing fish with dry flies?

    Quote Originally Posted by ohanzee View Post
    You seem to think I think an awful lot of things, and feel you need justify an awful lot of things for no reason, attack me all you wish but it appears to me you are having an argument with yourself.
    Pot:kettle!
    Please note that any views expressed in this post may be those of the
    originator and do not necessarily reflect those of the reader.

  7. #127

    Default Re: Missing fish with dry flies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Fishy View Post
    It's pretty much what Reg Wyatt's friend is doing. He reckons he has 'won' every time he deliberately misses a fish.
    He's deliberately rising a fish not deliberately missing them. When one rises to his fly he has won. His personal challenge is over. He's not kidding anybody.
    Like you say, different horses for courses thank goodness.

    Reg Wyatt

  8. #128

    Default Re: Missing fish with dry flies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Reg Wyatt View Post
    He's deliberately rising a fish not deliberately missing them. When one rises to his fly he has won. His personal challenge is over. He's not kidding anybody.
    Like you say, different horses for courses thank goodness.

    Reg Wyatt
    I would say he is deliberately missing them because he has knocked the point off his hook - therefore he can't do anything but miss them.

    How does he know he has won? I rise fish to my flies all the time, but I only ever win when I hook them and land them, which is often a small percentage of the total rises. A fish that came to me might abort on the point of the take because I failed to get my leader under and it was spooked by flash from the nylon in the surface tension. That is a fail, any way you look at it. And yet your friend would claim that aborted take as a victory? Not for me, I'm afraid.

    And what of yourself? Do you fish the way your friend does? And if not, why not?

    Col
    Please note that any views expressed in this post may be those of the
    originator and do not necessarily reflect those of the reader.

  9. #129
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,072

    Default Re: Missing fish with dry flies?

    I want to hook and land my fish "win" personally I love the actual take itself "preferably hard" if someone gets to the point that all they want is the rise then they've scored they are not looking to win, not for me but each to his own and all.

    Al

  10. #130

    Default Re: Missing fish with dry flies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Fishy View Post

    That is a fail, any way you look at it. And yet your friend would claim that aborted take as a victory?
    He clearly doesn't see fishing in terms of hooking the fish being a victory, no winners or losers, his satisfaction comes from getting a reaction, presumably in chalk clear water where he sees the fish take the fly.
    I remember when catch and release was considered pretend fishing and seen how widely accepted it is now, catch and release is a bit like the cat that catches a mouse for fun and lets it go, he's just playing with it a whole lot less.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The missing upwinged flies
    By jada0406 in forum Entomology
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-06-2019, 08:34 AM
  2. Trees 4 flies, water 2 flies, fish 2, dave b 0, frustration +5
    By dave b in forum General Fly Fishing Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 30-03-2015, 06:34 PM
  3. Missing flies
    By Guest105 in forum Fly Tying Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 13-01-2015, 03:58 PM
  4. Missing fish, fishing a side wind
    By garyj in forum General Fly Fishing Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 20-06-2010, 12:56 PM
  5. Missing Fish
    By saerbreatach o heanna in forum Trout and Grayling Fishing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-06-2009, 06:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •