Fly Fishing Forums

Go Back   Fly Fishing Forums > Members Fishing Trips, Events and Charities > Charity Events and Fundraising > Monnow Rivers Association - Auction X - 2017
Forums Register Blogs FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By MrP
  • 3 Post By dave b
  • 4 Post By dave b

Share LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 18-02-2017, 10:41 AM

MrP is on a distinguished road
Default MRA Auction X Lot 9: A day of Fishing and Photos

LOT 9

A photo day on the Monnow, Garway Beats - a day’s fishing, sort of guided (by Peter Dawson) but with a record of the day’s action photographed and supplied on a CD.
Peter knows the Garway waters intimately and, as he will freely admit, is a much better photographer than fisherman!
His shots are stunning. (see lot 62)

Kindly donated by Peter Dawson
Welcome | Peter Dawson | Peter

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Streamfisher likes this.
Trout fishermen revere the trout; trout, on the other hand, unaware of their sublime standing in man's world, revere nothing, including man, a creature they seem to view with special contempt. Nihilism is a rare trait in fish but trout are full of it. The old men liked that.
Old 18-02-2017, 11:32 AM

dave b will become famous soon enough
Default Re: MRA Auction X Lot 9: A day of Fishing and Photos

I was lucky enough to win this by default last year due to TFC having an accident. It was one of the highlights of the year with Peter being a perfect host and an absolute gentleman providing valuable information on the river and our quarry during the day. It's a day not to be missed.

Click the image to open in full size.

Picture courtesy of Peter.

£75 to start
TFC, Streamfisher and testyfly like this.

Last edited by dave b; 18-02-2017 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-06-2017, 12:08 PM

dave b will become famous soon enough
Default Re: MRA Auction X Lot 9: A day of Fishing and Photos

Last year I won this auction and had a superb day with Peter on a coloured and rising river. It was the first time I'd fished the Monnow but the impression it left saw me browsing house prices in the area, looking towards retirement in 10 years time which tells its own story.

It's a fantastic river, good wading, good access, not too big a river, not too small, riffles and glides in abundance, just a perfect package for any river angler.

With two lots available and no initial bids, I decided it's at least worth £75 for a day on the river with Peter to get the auction started, however what I didn't count on was winning it at what I consider to be a bargain price.

Unlike last time when we had plenty of flow and a coloured rising river, this time we were faced with a very low river and lack of flow. The bonus was it was overcast with light wind, making presentation relatively easy if you could negate the branches and vegetation on some of the more challenging casts.

I arrived a little late at the bridge to meet Peter due to M5 chaos following the end of the school Whit holiday. Luckily he had Mr P for company to keep him entertained. Patrick was playing with his Sage SLT demonstrating a few casts to Peter in the middle of the road and was kind enough to let me have a couple of casts as I'd heard a great deal about the SLT's but had never had the opportunity to look at one. It cast very well and I gave it back to Patrick without noting the orientation of the reel handle.

A little while later Patrick was demoed casting two rods when I gave him mine for a check against the SLT, still in the middle of the road. I mentioned that I was quite impressed and found it difficult to fish left handed pointing out that when I used to match fish I found it hard to fish with my best friends rod due to him being cac handed. Patrick took umbrage at this and asked if I had noticed which side of the reel his handle was located on. Peter and myself couldn't help but laugh at the retort and that set the tone for the day, with us setting off for the river in very good humour.

Sadly Patrick couldn't join us on the river but it was a pleasure to meet him.

There were a few fish moving in the first glide but they were being very difficult and after I'd caught one of the smallest WBT in the river the rest stopped rising. You'd get 2 or 3 casts and if the fish didn't come up it was time to move on although we often spent longer than we should have in some of the pools - they were just that inviting.

The typical scenario was spot a fish, wade up river into position, wait for it to show again and then try to catch it. The Monnow lends itself to this type of fishing perfectly which is probably why I enjoy fishing it so much.

The stamp of fish wasn't big by some standards with the best two fish being an OOS grayling caught on Klink and dink and a good WBT shown in the pictures below.

The best WBT of the day came when we were crossing the river diagonally on a raised rock bed, going into deeper water with a silt bed. I'd said to Peter I'd like a few casts before crossing as it looked quite inviting and while doing this I'd noticed a fish show in the dead water behind a bush which you normally wade through to get to the far bank. The first cast wasn't quite on the money but the second cast was spot on and up it came.

All in all it was a great day and wonderful company. I think I landed 8, lost three off the hook and missed 4 which I was quite happy with. There were may fly, upright olives, sherry spinners and gnats trickling off all day, however there were no big hatches or rises.

Peter has sent me a link to some low resolution copies of the pictures which I've added to the post below. I've also put a couple of pictures of the most effective flies on the day.

Oh I forgot to add. Talking about stealth on rivers, Peter managed to hook the biggest lump in the river while fishing the bottom of a pool

Unfortunately it was me creeping up behind him, when he suddenly changed angles and hooked me nicely in the left arm Luckily it was just a minor scratch but we both saw the funny side of it

Choices, choices.

A good fish on the Klink and Dink

Another to the dry.

One going back.

Note the large disgorger, superb for getting flies out inside the mouth, typical of when fish are smashing May flies. Peter bough one last year after watching me use one and he says it's one of the best buys he's made.

Another decent fish to the dry

These were on the menu

Beautifully proportioned fish

Fish of the day.

The flies, not a specific pattern but a deadly one non the less

May Fly

Last edited by dave b; 03-06-2017 at 04:08 PM.