Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  25
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 45
  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    8,249

    Default Re: Isreal folau a religious man.

    [QUOTE=Cap'n Fishy;2524659 generally recognised these days that there was no Hell or Devil

    Col[/QUOTE]

    This was confirmed to me by Hylde-moer when I last had a chat with her at the rising of the 13 th moon.
    Last edited by bumble54; 15-04-2019 at 04:29 PM.

  2. #22

    Default Re: Isreal folau a religious man.

    I just love this cartoon, and never miss a chance to post it...



    It's the expression on Old Nick's face...
    Please note that any views expressed in this post may be those of the
    originator and do not necessarily reflect those of the reader.

  3. #23

    Default Re: Isreal folau a religious man.

    Quote Originally Posted by aenoon View Post
    ISRAEL FOLAU, one of the best rugby full backs in the world, and a kingpin in the Australian team, is about to be banned from playing rugby by Aussie rugby board because of his religious beliefs.
    He has been accused of homophobic comments, which seem to have offended the powers that be in Australian rugby.
    What he actually did was to share a post on instagram stating "drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolaters" should "repent" and that “hell awaits you” because "only Jesus saves”.
    He is obviously a devout Christian, and deserves, at very least, a bit of respect for that.
    Israel Folau insists he will stand by his homophobic social media comments even if they threaten his future in rugby.
    He has also said he will be “absolutely content” with walking away from rugby if it is what “God wants me to do.”
    Rugby Australia announced their intention to sack the 30-year-old on Thursday “in the absence of compelling mitigating factors”.

    Well tell you what, drunks, adulterers, liars, fornicators,theives,atheists (me in there too) and idolators were all mentioned in his comments, so why have the snowflake brigade picked on the homosexual bit?
    Of all the sinners (in his eyes) mentioned, homosexuals would probably be in the minority!
    Some one tell me why that then becomes the focal point, and major issue.
    Yep I understand he is a superstar and role model for future generations, but why actually take him to task for his christain beliefs?

    regards
    bert
    Going back to this point, I have to say that it makes no difference to me, as all religious beliefs are so risible. If a Zoroastrian claimed that all anglers would be fired into the centre of the sun, I would just laugh at it. So, if a Christian claims that all homosexuals are going to Hell, I am going to laugh at it in exactly the same way. The religion and the target of choice don't matter. As an angler, I am not going to take offence at the Zoroastrian claim. I'm just going to laugh at it. I appreciate it all changes if you are a homosexual and a Christian. It's just that there is no point in asking me... which is what you did... in a loose way... so I replied... sorry, it's late and I have come in from the pub quiz... apologies to all...

    Col
    Please note that any views expressed in this post may be those of the
    originator and do not necessarily reflect those of the reader.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Well within my comfort zone
    Posts
    9,031

    Default Re: Isreal folau a religious man.

    4 subjects I normally don't get involved in:
    1: Politics.
    2:Religion.
    3: Sport.
    4: Music.

    Each are a personal choice or belief, so how can you influence your preference on me if I'm not interested?
    2019 & it will be time for a change.

  5. #25

    Default Re: Isreal folau a religious man.

    Quote Originally Posted by taffy1 View Post
    4 subjects I normally don't get involved in:
    1: Politics.
    2:Religion.
    3: Sport.
    4: Music.

    Each are a personal choice or belief, so how can you influence your preference on me if I'm not interested?
    Politics - totally understand - me too!

    Sport and music - I don't mind at all - though it depends very much on the particular sport or music. Don't ask me about F1 or Grime!

    Religion - I absolutely love a discussion on religion. I don't get it - none of it - it's all anathema to me - complete fairies at the bottom of the garden stuff. It should all have died out hundreds of years ago when we realised how the world works. And yet billions of people in the world are still hooked on it. Why??? So, I am fascinated by it.

    I know it is pointless to try and influence another's beliefs. But I enjoy an exchange of views, if the other person is interested in same.

    Col
    Last edited by Cap'n Fishy; 15-04-2019 at 11:50 PM. Reason: typo
    Please note that any views expressed in this post may be those of the
    originator and do not necessarily reflect those of the reader.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line!
    Posts
    10,263

    Default Re: Isreal folau a religious man.

    Whole point of the post has been missed by all and sundry, bar one.

    Folau has certain beliefs, lives his life a certain way, expresses his thoughts regarding lifestyles that do not fit in with said beliefs, and gets ripped apart because of those beliefs.
    If he had been a homosexual rugby player "coming out", and expressed beliefs that everyone else was wrong, and should be respectful of his choices, what, do you think, would be the reaction by Australian rugby board?

    Regards
    Bert

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    8,249

    Default Re: Isreal folau a religious man.

    Quote Originally Posted by aenoon View Post
    Whole point of the post has been missed by all and sundry, bar one.

    Folau has certain beliefs, lives his life a certain way, expresses his thoughts regarding lifestyles that do not fit in with said beliefs, and gets ripped apart because of those beliefs.
    If he had been a homosexual rugby player "coming out", and expressed beliefs that everyone else was wrong, and should be respectful of his choices, what, do you think, would be the reaction by Australian rugby board?

    Regards
    Bert
    Perhaps he should just keep his gob shut, then there would be no controversy.
    He can believe what he likes but there's no need to foist it on to others.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Monmouthshire
    Posts
    2,691

    Default Re: Isreal folau a religious man.

    Quote Originally Posted by aenoon View Post
    If he had been a homosexual rugby player "coming out", and expressed beliefs that everyone else was wrong, and should be respectful of his choices, what, do you think, would be the reaction by Australian rugby board
    I still must be missing your point. If the above was the case, he wouldn't be breaking his employers code of conduct would he, so wouldn't get fired.
    https://fishingfortrout.blog

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    mid wales
    Posts
    1,680

    Default Re: Isreal folau a religious man.

    Quote Originally Posted by bumble54 View Post
    Perhaps he should just keep his gob shut, then there would be no controversy.
    He can believe what he likes but there's no need to foist it on to others.
    There endeth the lesson. Amen.
    We used to have village idiots but with the advent of the internet, they've gone global.

  10. #30

    Default Re: Isreal folau a religious man.

    Quote Originally Posted by aenoon View Post
    Whole point of the post has been missed by all and sundry, bar one.

    Folau has certain beliefs, lives his life a certain way, expresses his thoughts regarding lifestyles that do not fit in with said beliefs, and gets ripped apart because of those beliefs.
    If he had been a homosexual rugby player "coming out", and expressed beliefs that everyone else was wrong, and should be respectful of his choices, what, do you think, would be the reaction by Australian rugby board?
    Quote Originally Posted by aenoon View Post
    Of all the sinners (in his eyes) mentioned, homosexuals would probably be in the minority!
    Some one tell me why that then becomes the focal point, and major issue.
    Yep I understand he is a superstar and role model for future generations, but why actually take him to task for his christain beliefs?
    I think his religion is immaterial. He could have been a Muslim and made the same remarks and got the same reaction. He could have been an atheist and said all homosexuals are bad people and got the same reaction. I think the reason the homophobia part was picked out for attention is because LGBTs are currently a 'hot topic' on the world stage, and it is verboten to dis them.

    Col
    Please note that any views expressed in this post may be those of the
    originator and do not necessarily reflect those of the reader.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •