Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Ugly salmon?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Well within my comfort zone
    Posts
    9,132

    Default Ugly salmon?

    BBC report reckons farmed salmon (escapees) are unattractive to natural wild samon when it comes to breeding :- Farmed salmon 'not as attractive' to mates as wild fish - BBC News
    2019 & it will be time for a change.

  2. #2
    guest54 Guest

    Default Re: Ugly salmon?

    Quote Originally Posted by taffy1 View Post
    BBC report reckons farmed salmon (escapees) are unattractive to natural wild samon when it comes to breeding :- Farmed salmon 'not as attractive' to mates as wild fish - BBC News
    Aren't farmed salmon triploids and if not why not?. Shouldn't it be compulsory?.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Well within my comfort zone
    Posts
    9,132

    Default Re: Ugly salmon?

    I've no idea on the sexuality of farmed salmon. I assumed farmed salmon were only intended for the table/consumption.
    2019 & it will be time for a change.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Ugly salmon?

    Quote Originally Posted by bumble54 View Post
    Aren't farmed salmon triploids and if not why not?. Shouldn't it be compulsory?.
    Good idea. I suspect the answer will be... "But that would cost us money."

    Col
    Please note that any views expressed in this post may be those of the
    originator and do not necessarily reflect those of the reader.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Ugly salmon?

    Can one assume from that that farmed salmon actually migrate up rivers to spawning grounds?

    If not, how do they know if they are 'attractive' or not? I doubt they do a massive amount of flirting before actually dropping eggs do they?

    Perhaps they have been putting cardboard cutouts into the river at gravel beds, to see how horny they make the wild ones, ha!

    A great deal of scientific research often strikes me as a complete waste of time and effort. Many read like 'does a bear sh17 in the woods' thesis.

  6. #6

    Default Re: Ugly salmon?

    I suspect the research was funded by Marine Harvest.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Ugly salmon?

    Quote Originally Posted by tenet View Post
    I suspect the research was funded by Marine Harvest.
    And no doubt peer reviewed by the esteemed Dr Martin Jaffa.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Ugly salmon?

    Quote Originally Posted by lipslicker View Post
    A great deal of scientific research often strikes me as a complete waste of time and effort. Many read like 'does a bear sh17 in the woods' thesis.
    Please note that any views expressed in this post may be those of the
    originator and do not necessarily reflect those of the reader.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Mid Lothian
    Posts
    1,899

    Default Re: Ugly salmon?

    This is going to sound silly but i don't fish for salmon or take an interest in salmon fishing so would farmed salmon know to enter a river to spawn ? i've always thought salmon had a thing that they returned to the river they were born in...so would farmed salmon not stay at sea or would they follow wild fish and go with the flow ? I know the environmental damage these farms do and the filth they pass off for human consumption but i.ve never really thought about escapee fish.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Ugly salmon?

    Quote Originally Posted by pentlandflyman View Post
    This is going to sound silly but i don't fish for salmon or take an interest in salmon fishing so would farmed salmon know to enter a river to spawn ? i've always thought salmon had a thing that they returned to the river they were born in...so would farmed salmon not stay at sea or would they follow wild fish and go with the flow ? I know the environmental damage these farms do and the filth they pass off for human consumption but i.ve never really thought about escapee fish.
    A few Google hits...

    New proof that fish farm escapees interbreed with wild salmon: DFO | CBC News

    Escapes - SeaChoice

    Genomics confirms fish farm escapees breeding with wild Atlantic salmon in Newfoundland - Genomics R&D Initiative (GRDI)

    New Genetic Research Shows the Legacy of Fish Farm Escapees | Hakai Magazine
    Please note that any views expressed in this post may be those of the
    originator and do not necessarily reflect those of the reader.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Shakespeare Ugly Stik Salmon, Pike, fly rod
    By EbayUK in forum Fly Rods
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 29-03-2018, 06:30 PM
  2. Purple Ugly
    By grey duster in forum Fly Tying Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15-12-2008, 05:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •