Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  12
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 30 of 30
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Dumfries, South West Scotland
    Posts
    951

    Default Re: Flys for night fishing? And how deep should I fish them ?

    I would also suggest you wade the place you want go fish a good few times in the daylight, that way you get to know the wading line, in an out access from the bank,trees and bushes that hamper fishing etc.
    Taffy is correct, when you are out it is surprising how much you can see and navigate without a torch. Most people won't know that as they tend not to be wandering about in the countryside in the middle of the night.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,787

    Default Re: Flys for night fishing? And how deep should I fish them ?

    Some sound advice from cammy , fish the pool through the day you don't want to step into a hole, you'll also get a feel for the line required to cover the pool.
    Get a wading staff for nightime it makes wading so much easier when you're shuffling around trying to find a clear area for your foot on the way down the pool.
    Nothing fancy is required, a trekking pole/stick a length of hazel basically anything that you can get a lean on with a lanyard on it.
    You'll find fishing in the dark isn't as daunting as you might think, best of luck

    P. S get some silver stoats tails

    Al

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Well within my comfort zone
    Posts
    9,478

    Default Re: Flys for night fishing? And how deep should I fish them ?

    Quote Originally Posted by speytime View Post
    Some sound advice from cammy , fish the pool through the day you don't want to step into a hole, you'll also get a feel for the line required to cover the pool.
    Get a wading staff for nightime it makes wading so much easier when you're shuffling around trying to find a clear area for your foot on the way down the pool.
    Nothing fancy is required, a trekking pole/stick a length of hazel basically anything that you can get a lean on with a lanyard on it.
    You'll find fishing in the dark isn't as daunting as you might think, best of luck

    P. S get some silver stoats tails

    Al
    If you are getting a wading staff make sure it's sturdy enough to support your weight & that the business end is well under the water, ie, the foot is well sunk. Nothing worse than a staff that's floating in front of you while handlining your line on a retrieve & then getting tangled up with your staff, even worse if you are playing a fish & have to use a landing net.
    2019 & it will be time for a change.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,787

    Default Re: Flys for night fishing? And how deep should I fish them ?

    I've got a few fancy weighted wading staffs with antler and carved salmon handles but use my trekking pole on my local river the Tweed, Clyde and Spey without issue, I,m not into lugging a weighted staff around (trapped nerves in my back weight is my enemy)
    I don't see the need for a staff to take your weight other than pushing down on it, i can lean all my weight on a cheap trekker and have done for years.
    I agree with you about the staff floating it can be a nuisance but a trekking stick fills with water so floating isn't a issue.
    Sometimes depending on the water it might hang in the current I just sit it at an angle against the current and that holds it in place out of the way.
    The above rivers aren't deep wading if they were I might consider taking another staff.

    Cheers Al

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Well within my comfort zone
    Posts
    9,478

    Default Re: Flys for night fishing? And how deep should I fish them ?

    Personal safety is paramount in any fishing situation. The advice of daylight expeditions prior to venturing out during the hours of darkness makes a lot of sense, which I would highly recommend. Hope you let us all know how you get on.
    2019 & it will be time for a change.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    194

    Default Re: Flys for night fishing? And how deep should I fish them ?

    I fish for sea trout on my local stream . Its a spinning river really but there are a few places to work a fly . and on a night the members don't usually bother , ok you get the odd poacher , fox, badger , drunk kids , courting couples , fly tippers , dog walker , camping holiday makers and otters but apart from that its quiet . Fly choice I use black flies high water large ones , low water small ones . Sometimes with a bit of sparkle . They seem to work as well as anything . I have experimented with some luminant bead heads , they worked amazingly well one night and then failed miserably everytime after . Good luck with sea trout they are very frustrating things to catch. If you get a wading staff make sure you have a rubber end on the bottom. S tell tipped job clattering on stones will spook the fish .

    O M W
    Last edited by Overmiwadrers; 23-10-2019 at 06:30 AM.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Well within my comfort zone
    Posts
    9,478

    Default Re: Flys for night fishing? And how deep should I fish them ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Overmiwadrers View Post
    I fish for sea trout on my local stream . Its a spinning river really but there are a few places to work a fly . and on a night the members don't usually bother , ok you get the odd poacher , fox, badger , drunk kids , courting couples , fly tippers , dog walker , camping holiday makers and otters but apart from that its quiet . Fly choice I use black flies high water large ones , low water small ones . Sometimes with a bit of sparkle . They seem to work as well as anything . I have experimented with some luminant bead heads , they worked amazingly well one night and then failed miserably everytime after . Good luck with sea trout they are very frustrating things to catch. If you get a wading staff make sure you have a rubber end on the bottom. S tell tipped job clattering on stones will spook the fish .

    O M W
    3 of my favourite colours for sea trout are Black & Silver, especially at night. Silhouette is probably more important. On a brighter night size is possibly more important, brighter = smaller. It works for me here.
    2019 & it will be time for a change.

  8. #28

    Default Re: Flys for night fishing? And how deep should I fish them ?

    Great advice from everyone, thanks! I can't wait for next season ! Now to tie some sea trout flies !


    Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Well within my comfort zone
    Posts
    9,478

    Default Re: Flys for night fishing? And how deep should I fish them ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven kermode View Post
    Great advice from everyone, thanks! I can't wait for next season ! Now to tie some sea trout flies !


    Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Cool, post them up here once you get a chance.
    2019 & it will be time for a change.

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    3,787

    Default Re: Flys for night fishing? And how deep should I fish them ?

    Quote Originally Posted by Steven kermode View Post
    Great advice from everyone, thanks! I can't wait for next season ! Now to tie some sea trout flies !


    Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    Do yourself a favour and tie some 6/8s silver stoats tails, my most successful night time sea trout fly by a country mile.
    Im confident if there's sea in the river a #6/8 sst will catch them.

    Al
    Last edited by speytime; 26-10-2019 at 10:39 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-06-2018, 12:00 PM
  2. Penn no 49 deep spool, deep sea multiplier fishing reel
    By EbayUK in forum Vintage fly reels for sale on Ebay
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 30-06-2017, 10:50 AM
  3. Penn no 49 deep spool, deep sea multiplier fishing reel
    By EbayUK in forum Vintage fly reels for sale on Ebay
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 27-06-2017, 06:40 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-06-2017, 12:10 PM
  5. Fishing deep when fish are rising
    By smudgesimonsmith in forum General Fly Fishing Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 11-05-2015, 12:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •