Thanks Thanks:  7
Likes Likes:  36
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 31

Thread: General license

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Sandy, Beds
    Posts
    2,240

    Default Re: General license

    Quote Originally Posted by spudgun View Post
    Out of interest the sack Packham petition is going well, up to 130,350 at the moment. I doubt anything will come of it but it just made me feel better signing it.
    Cheers

    Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Me too..........

  2. #22
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North East Wales
    Posts
    11,305
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: General license

    Quote Originally Posted by spudgun View Post
    Out of interest the sack Packham petition is going well, up to 130,350 at the moment. I doubt anything will come of it but it just made me feel better signing it.
    Cheers

    Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk
    Mainly because Packham can't be sacked by the BBC as he's not directly employed by them, still the sentiment is good and I signed hoping that the BBC will stop paying the company(s) that pays Packham. The biggest irony is that Packham is vice president of the RSPB, the organisation that shoots several hundred corvids a year to protect vulnerable species, birds that are presumably now going to fall prey to corvids now that the RSPB can't shoot them!!
    “There is no more lovely country than Monmouthshire in early spring. Nowhere do the larks sing quite so passionately, as if somehow inspired by the Welsh themselves. There is a blackbird on every thorn and a cock chaffinch, a twink as they call him there, on every bush...... It moved me profoundly. I had been spared to see another spring, and I thank God for it.”

    Oliver Kite
    “A Spring Day on the Usk”
    A Fisherman’s Diary

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    143

    Default Re: General license

    I think everyone on this Forum should be deeply concerned around Packham and the apparent influence he has . This is a link to his site with the "Peoples Manifesto for Wildlife " I would advise everyone to download it and read it fully and then decide to write to your MP . His movement threatens all country sports including ours...

    A Peoples Manifesto for Wildlife

    O M W

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Halifax
    Posts
    3,641

    Default Re: General license

    If a couple of reports in the papers are to be believed , Gove is considering removing the General Licensing responsibilities from Natural England , and transferring them to Defra .

    Gove and his drive for “ Ecology “ are one of the driving factors in the lunatics running the asylum . He has openly courted nut jobs , and organisations like the RSPB . He was instrumental in allowing a political activist to assume the chair of Natural England .

    However it would seem that after a group of Tory MPs representing rural constituencies has put pressure on him , which together with his ambition to be PM , has led him to have a rethink of where the licences should reside . He wouldn’t last 5 minutes if the blame for this lot alienated the largely Tory shires . I hope it comes to fruition even if his motives are the usual self serving political class duplicitous ones .

    Thankfully our buddies , in NI, Wales , and Scotland have been spared this nonsense so far.

    God help us if we get a Corbyn Government, with lefty activists preaching their version of ecology and heading up quangos. Every field sport in the country will be stuffed - including Angling !

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    NE/UK
    Posts
    743

    Default Re: General license

    If a couple of reports in the papers are to be believed , Gove is considering removing the General Licensing responsibilities from Natural England , and transferring them to Defra .
    Telegraph has amended what it printed...

    Rebuttal of Telegraph claims on general licensing for shooting - Defra in the media

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North East Wales
    Posts
    11,305
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: General license

    Quote Originally Posted by haggstock View Post

    Thankfully our buddies , in NI, Wales , and Scotland have been spared this nonsense so far.

    God help us if we get a Corbyn Government, with lefty activists preaching their version of ecology and heading up quangos. Every field sport in the country will be stuffed - including Angling !
    In Wales we have a Labour government that has stopped the leasing of government land for shooting, want to open our rivers up to unrestricted canoeing, will not address agricultural pollution or fish eating birds and want total C&R on all salmon rivers. They wouldn't need a lot of encouragement to suspend the general licence!
    “There is no more lovely country than Monmouthshire in early spring. Nowhere do the larks sing quite so passionately, as if somehow inspired by the Welsh themselves. There is a blackbird on every thorn and a cock chaffinch, a twink as they call him there, on every bush...... It moved me profoundly. I had been spared to see another spring, and I thank God for it.”

    Oliver Kite
    “A Spring Day on the Usk”
    A Fisherman’s Diary

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Monmouthshire
    Posts
    2,684

    Default Re: General license

    Quote Originally Posted by Overmiwadrers View Post
    I think everyone on this Forum should be deeply concerned around Packham and the apparent influence he has . This is a link to his site with the "Peoples Manifesto for Wildlife " I would advise everyone to download it and read it fully and then decide to write to your MP . His movement threatens all country sports including ours...

    A Peoples Manifesto for Wildlife

    O M W
    I have read all of the Peoples Manifesto and there is much in there that makes sense and I agree with. There is some I absolutely don't. I agree that his influence can't be underestimated. If those with sensible countryside interests try to go toe to toe with movements like this there will only be one outcome. Compromise is the only long term answer.

    As an example, we can't expect people to accept culling non native FEB's to preserve fish stocks if we are all happy to continue to eradicate the native mountain hare on grouse moors. Nothing is ever simple.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by sewinbasher View Post
    In Wales we have a Labour government that has stopped the leasing of government land for shooting, want to open our rivers up to unrestricted canoeing, will not address agricultural pollution or fish eating birds and want total C&R on all salmon rivers. They wouldn't need a lot of encouragement to suspend the general licence!

    Very true - and currently NRW is is melt down and not fit for purpose.
    https://fishingfortrout.blog

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Sheffield
    Posts
    8,217

    Default Re: General license

    Make no mistake we are all in the firing line, so to speak, the RSPCA, the RSPB, PETA and many others are against almost all sports involving animals.
    One, can't remember which, has banned any sport involving horses on their land.
    Last edited by bumble54; 04-05-2019 at 11:26 AM.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    North East Wales
    Posts
    11,305
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: General license

    Quote Originally Posted by mrnotherone View Post
    I have read all of the Peoples Manifesto and there is much in there that makes sense and I agree with. There is some I absolutely don't. I agree that his influence can't be underestimated. If those with sensible countryside interests try to go toe to toe with movements like this there will only be one outcome. Compromise is the only long term answer.

    As an example, we can't expect people to accept culling non native FEB's to preserve fish stocks if we are all happy to continue to eradicate the native mountain hare on grouse moors. Nothing is ever simple.

    - - - Updated - - -




    Very true - and currently NRW is is melt down and not fit for purpose.
    Particularly at the "sharp end" (where there are some really good people), they seem to be currently re-applying for their jobs or applying for different jobs ahead of the June restructuring. I'm not expecting to see any increase in enforcement activity!
    “There is no more lovely country than Monmouthshire in early spring. Nowhere do the larks sing quite so passionately, as if somehow inspired by the Welsh themselves. There is a blackbird on every thorn and a cock chaffinch, a twink as they call him there, on every bush...... It moved me profoundly. I had been spared to see another spring, and I thank God for it.”

    Oliver Kite
    “A Spring Day on the Usk”
    A Fisherman’s Diary

  10. #30
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Carron Speyside
    Posts
    5,006

    Default Re: General license

    Quote Originally Posted by mrnotherone View Post
    As an example, we can't expect people to accept culling non native FEB's to preserve fish stocks if we are all happy to continue to eradicate the native mountain hare on grouse moors. Nothing is ever simple.
    No nothing is ever simple, mountain hares are not being eradicated on grouse moors but their numbers are controlled. They, as a species, do better on moors being managed for grouse than on unmanaged moors.
    Malcolm
    <')\\\\\<<
    Quot homines tot sententiae

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. license
    By bigtel in forum General Fly Fishing Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 06:41 PM
  2. Which License?
    By trouty_le_trout in forum Trout and Grayling Fishing
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 23-03-2011, 12:28 PM
  3. When does my rod license run out?
    By sheepy in forum General Fly Fishing Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 22-03-2010, 09:43 AM
  4. New License
    By splash2 in forum General Fly Fishing Discussion
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 28-03-2008, 09:34 AM
  5. EA Rod License?
    By DownStream in forum General Fly Fishing Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2007, 11:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •