10' 3# Euro nymph blank

JayP

Any suggestions for a nice soft tipped and light 10' euro nymph blank in a 3#?

MHX is too stiff and I believe the cheap Bulgarian blanks are quite heavy, it won't get a huge amount of use so ideally something double digit side of £100

sculpin_crusader

I have my eye on the Taniwha nano helix in that length and line weight for a nymphing rod. It’s £89 plus postage which I believe is £7 but not a huge amount of information or reviews out there.

JayP

I have my eye on the Taniwha nano helix in that length and line weight for a nymphing rod. It’s £89 plus postage which I believe is £7 but not a huge amount of information or reviews out there.
That sounds interesting, it'll be a winter project for me so if you pull the trigger before me I might have to hunt you down for a waggle ;) Are you in Cambridgeshire still?

sculpin_crusader

Just into Norfolk now but no further than I was before but I suspect we’ll end up building them at the same time.

glosterboy

I built a 10' 3# on a Nex tackle blank a couple of years ago for euro nypmhing.
I weighed it and it came out at 97 grams, its fitted with lined Fujis rather than snake guides.

Given how light it is it does feel tip heavy when used.
I wouldn't recommend the blank for that use.

sculpin_crusader

I weighed it and it came out at 97 grams, its fitted with lined Fujis rather than snake guides.

What was the action like?

glosterboy

medium fast but i'm no expert, I've never tried casting a 3 weight line on it. Its always been used for Euro style nymphing
Can only get it to balance with a 5/6 weight reel. It feels horrible with a light 3 weight reel on it.

bobfly2

I have a 10ft 3/4 wt Taniwha. Bought semi complete built with me choosing reel seat and rod tube. Very pleasant casting rod medium fast, not harsh. Ideal for wild loch browns, float tube use and medium to large rivers. Taken fish to 2.5lbs no bother.

Lewis Chessman

I built one last year (10ft #3 NH) but as a light-weight boat rod, not a nympher. I only got to fish it once and blanked but it was nice enough. I hope to fish it more this season.
I thought it was rather a fast-actioned rod which I wouldn't describe as ''tippy''. I think you might find more joy in a modern IM8 or IM10 rod if you want a moderate, medium fast action with a sensitive tip - but I'm not into Euro-nymphing so don't really know what you're looking for. If you do try one don't go for a light reel seat as, light though the blank is, the length makes it hard to balance in the hand with modern, lightweight small reels and if you are intending to 'high stick' you may like more weight below the hand.

kingf000

I made up a 10ft 3wt Taniwha blank earlier in the year. I used Rec recoil snake rings, my home made ring tip from 0.6mm Nitinol wire (see my earlier threads) with the Taniwha cork grip and their lightweight reel seat. It weighs in at 75g (2.65 oz), as light as the lightest nymphing rod in the 2018 Trident ESN shootout, and balances nicely with my Hardy ultralite 2000c reel. Action is medium fast but I've yet to try it out in anger. If I made it again I would go for a downlocking reel seat and single leg rings.

sculpin_crusader

I made up a 10ft 3wt Taniwha blank earlier in the year. I used Rec recoil snake rings, my home made ring tip from 0.6mm Nitinol wire (see my earlier threads) with the Taniwha cork grip and their lightweight reel seat. It weighs in at 75g (2.65 oz), as light as the lightest nymphing rod in the 2018 Trident ESN shootout, and balances nicely with my Hardy ultralite 2000c reel. Action is medium fast but I've yet to try it out in anger. If I made it again I would go for a downlocking reel seat and single leg rings.
Was it the nano helix blank?

du212

I use a 10' #3 from Nexttackle, from a craftsman near my village, a friend of me, and it's nice rod to use for nymping and to fish dries too. Action is moderate fast, loads line well. Don't worry about the im6, it's not the newest but the Winstons are from IM6 too

kingf000

I think your problem here is not the blank but the fittings. The blank weighs in at 51.5g, so you are adding 45.5g to the weight. That is a lot of weight to carry when euro nymphing with an outstretched arm. The key is to use light guides, especially on the tip and second sections as that contributes the most to the feeling of being tip heavy. They are expensive, but I would recommend replacing the lined fujis (relatively heavy) with rec recoil single leg rings ( or make them yourself from 0.5mm nitinol wire). You can use quite small rings as you don't need to worry about casting the fly line, especially if you use the much thinner ESN lines, again reducing the weight at the tip. Also use the lightest possible tip ring you can get. I make my own from nitinol wire and weighs around 0.1g. Also thinking that you will be holding the rod away from you when fishing, use the lightest handle and reel seat you can get. An AAAA grade handle weighs only about 12g and get one as long as possible to increase the distance from the reel to the grip. You can also get a good quality light reel seat that weighs around 14g and try and get a down locking seat so the the reel is as near the butt as possible, to improve balance. With this, you should be able to get the total weight down to about 80g, with much less weight at the tip end and get a good balance with a lightweight 3wt reel.

glosterboy

I think your problem here is not the blank but the fittings. The blank weighs in at 51.5g, so you are adding 45.5g to the weight. That is a lot of weight to carry when euro nymphing with an outstretched arm. The key is to use light guides, especially on the tip and second sections as that contributes the most to the feeling of being tip heavy. They are expensive, but I would recommend replacing the lined fujis (relatively heavy) with rec recoil single leg rings ( or make them yourself from 0.5mm nitinol wire). You can use quite small rings as you don't need to worry about casting the fly line, especially if you use the much thinner ESN lines, again reducing the weight at the tip. Also use the lightest possible tip ring you can get. I make my own from nitinol wire and weighs around 0.1g. Also thinking that you will be holding the rod away from you when fishing, use the lightest handle and reel seat you can get. An AAAA grade handle weighs only about 12g and get one as long as possible to increase the distance from the reel to the grip. You can also get a good quality light reel seat that weighs around 14g and try and get a down locking seat so the the reel is as near the butt as possible, to improve balance. With this, you should be able to get the total weight down to about 80g, with much less weight at the tip end and get a good balance with a lightweight 3wt reel.
I'm sure you're right that reducing the weight would improve the rod for use as euro nympher but i'm not sure that's the whole story.
I think the issue is the swing weight of the blank but how you'd go about measuring it is beyond me.
I've looked at the maths about swing weight and it gives me a headache.
Without any measurements its all subjective and I'm no expert. I've never had the pleasure of using any other purpose built rod for euro nymphing so have nothing to compare it to.

kingf000

I'm sure you're right that reducing the weight would improve the rod for use as euro nympher but i'm not sure that's the whole story.
I think the issue is the swing weight of the blank but how you'd go about measuring it is beyond me.
I've looked at the maths about swing weight and it gives me a headache.
Without any measurements its all subjective and I'm no expert. I've never had the pleasure of using any other purpose built rod for euro nymphing so have nothing to compare it to.
It's not just reducing the overall weight, though that is important, but it's reducing the weight in the top two sections that is most critical. You can estimate the swing weight of the blank from the weight and balance point of the different sections using a rather complicated formula, but it is the swing weight of the rod that is important. In simple terms, for a low swing weight you need most of the weight in the butt section with a light tip section. Unfortunately this data is not given out on blanks, just the overall weight. I don't know about the next 10ft 3wt, but I have described the making of a next 10ft 2wt nymphing rod where I included the weights of the individual sections of the blank and the final rod. The rod ended up weighing 67g with a swing weight of 320g. I made the mistake of putting on a short handle, so it was only 7" from the reel to the grip. If I hadn't shortened the handle, it would have been 8", weighed about 1 g more but with a reduced swing weight of about 280g! This is a trick the rod manufacturers use to reduce swing weight on heavier rods, make the handle slightly longer. To get a better weight distribution on a blank you would need to pay an awful lot more money for, eg the Sage ESN blank. However, for euro nymphing the swing weight is less important than the overall weight of the rod, reel and line that you will be holding up, often at arms length for long periods as you track the nymph.

kingf000

Following this discussion, I decided that I'd made a mistake with the short handle and so have replaced it with a longer Aventik AAAA handle, which weighed just 11.5 gm after routing and the rod does look a lot better. The rod now weighs about the same as before but the swing weight has dropped from 320g to 240g (8.5 oz) and the total balance weight down from 300g to 250g (8.8 oz), all from making the handle just over 1" longer!