10' 6wt

pati

Hi

Toying with the idea of a new rod for stillwater.

This would be for long distance dry fly / washing line / buzzer methods from the bank. The rod would need to facilitate long casts but not be too stiff/tip auctioned as washing line/multiple dropper buzzer set-ups don't like tight loops... Rod would need to be sensitive as it will also be used for single dry fly work at long distance on potentially light tippets...

Happy to see recommendations knowing that good 10' 6wt are far and few... If it can be not pricey, all the better!!!

At the top of my list at the moment is Guideline LPXe v1, but without having tried the 10' 6wt version, I have no guarantee it is what I'm after (although sounds close by all accounts I have heard/read) and in any case, I can't find one anywhere as they have been replaced by v2 and now v3...

Let me know your suggestions!

Cheers

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Hi

This would be for long distance dry fly / washing line / buzzer methods from the bank. The rod would need to facilitate long casts but not be too stiff/tip auctioned as washing line/multiple dropper buzzer set-ups don't like tight loops... Rod would need to be sensitive as it will also be used for single dry fly work at long distance on potentially light tippets...

Happy to see recommendations knowing that good 10' 6wt are far and few... If it can be not pricey, all the better!!!

At the top of my list at the moment is Guideline LPXe v1, but without having tried the 10' 6wt version, I have no guarantee it is what I'm after (although sounds close by all accounts I have heard/read) and in any case, I can't find one anywhere as they have been replaced by v2 and now v3...

Cheers
Tight loops are made by the holder of the rod!
Is difficult at moment, but get to try one of your choices if possible!
Bert

LukeNZ

Hi

Cheers

A low cost two hand / trout spey rod such as the Reddington 4wt. (equates to 6wt. single hand rod) is awesome on a stillwater. It will allow you to cast both overhead and spey, close and far.

The big advantage is the easy/effortless distance when you want it. You would use a shooting head Scandi set up for both close up and far away nymph and dry fly work, and loop on a Skagit shooting head set up for bigger sub-surface fly’s and sink tips, or rather than sink tips, just very long leaders to get your weighted fly’s swinging, or trawling deep!

🙃

Gdog

Good 10 ' #6 are certainly few and far between I've gone through 5 in the last 5 years.
I would recommend the Snowbee Prestige GXS, I bought one last July, I only got to use it 4 times due a lockdown in September, but I was impressed.

If this is too expensive try and get a used older model Prestige.

original cormorant

For bank fishing I fish 9ft 6in rather than 10ft. For reasonable prices and quality I would be looking at the two brands mentioned - Guideline and Snowbee plus Vision and Greys. My Greys and Guideline rods aren't current models but I have been tempted to retire one for an Onki.

jakob

Theres not a huge choice when it comes to 10ft #6. I looked for one for a while but couldnt find one that quite matched the criteria. I eventually had one made by Steve Parkes(Atomsix). Its a bit of a one off blank, faster than the Celestial range but not quite as stiff as the Elemental. Its just a really nice rod that’ll cast anything and everything, its not fussy. Steve’s build quality is also superb, and pricing is very reasonable considering his rods are hand made. Im not sure what your budget is but if you cant find what your looking for then id certainly consider having one made to your own spec.

pati

Thanks for the suggestions

Budget wise I d like to stay within 200£ (well within that if possible). Looking at second hand as the rod doesn’t need to be the latest and greatest, nor in perfect pristine condition!

bear

Theres not a huge choice when it comes to 10ft #6. I looked for one for a while but couldnt find one that quite matched the criteria. I eventually had one made by Steve Parkes(Atomsix). Its a bit of a one off blank, faster than the Celestial range but not quite as stiff as the Elemental. Its just a really nice rod that’ll cast anything and everything, its not fussy. Steve’s build quality is also superb, and pricing is very reasonable considering his rods are hand made. Im not sure what your budget is but if you cant find what your looking for then id certainly consider having one made to your own spec.
Neutrino blank?

Gdog

Thanks for the suggestions

Budget wise I d like to stay within 200£ (well within that if possible). Looking at second hand as the rod doesn’t need to be the latest and greatest, nor in perfect pristine condition!
I suggested the Snowbee, but it costs £489. It is a super rod, I got mine from Troutcatchers for £430 when I sold my Hardy Jet, I couldn't believe how the Jet could be such crap, so dont look at a second hand Jet.

Snowbee have the Spectre RMX, Uttings or Troutcatchers have it on a discount for about £200.

For £200, I'd suggest trying the Airflo Super Stik, I had the older model and it is a decent rod, I sold mine as I had the Prestige and Jet at the time and I didn't need 3 10' #6 rods, in hindsight I should have kept the Airflo it was much better than the Jet.

Other 10' #6 rods in this price range are the Greys GR60, Guideline Stoked and Vision Onki.

My local tackle dealer in Dublin swears by the 10' #6 Vision Onki, its popular with lots of lough fishers in Ireland that prefer a mid priced middle to tip rod. Uttings have it at a good price.

So maybe try casting a few of these when the lockdown is over.

pati

I had a "regular" (ie. non graphene) 9' 6wt Prestige travel (6 sections). The same in 10' would probably make me happy indeed if it keeps the characteristics of the 9'...

Vision Onki probably not fast enough for my liking based on my readings.

icejohn

Hi pati,

You mention long distance. A 6wt doesn't equate to long distance in my book.

Am more a 10wt or 11wt shooting head recommendation. Using a 9 wt or 10wt rod mullarkelys used to do rods at £60 with the distances you can cast you can't really feel takes, fish hook themselves.

But horses for courses and all that.

Any orvis rod in 10ft 6wt be probabaly the best buy. I say that based on the warantee and that you have a very specific 6wt weight and 10ft length.

icejohn

Very surprised orvis don't have the model you needed. I assumed they would in mid or entry range. They certainly used to have all models in each ranges but sign of times I guess sadly.

I can't recommend a grand for a rod. As somone mentioned the helios.

Probably the same situation with sage as well with import taxs etc.

But the other rods people have mentioned will all probably do a stirling job.

Last edited:

sean freeman

If you don’t mind secondhand then the Sage VXP 10’ #6 is a nice rod if one pops up. Heavy compared to the latest and greatest but not enough to tire you after a day on the water.

I’d be tempted by 10’ #5’s too for dry fly on lochs and reservoirs. I’ll add the Stickman in that size eventually.

sewinbasher

I use a Fulling Mill Gold Medallion 10' 6wt for a lot of my stillwater fishing and big river work, both dry and wet. It's obviously a personal choice but it's not too fast actioned and it does both jobs very nicely and although a few years old I've no inclination to change.

jakob

Neutrino blank?
Sorry....late response. No, as far as I know it was a one off blank that Steve had. He described it at the time as more similar to the older Tachyon in terms of action, but not quite as fast as the current Elemental. Id describe it as mid to tip, with more emphasis towards the tip. Its lovely to use, perfectly true to a #6 weight. I’ve been using an Airflo Superflo Stillwater #6, which is a really nice match. Its just a pity the line seems to store memory quite badly because its actually a great line to cast.

pati

If you don’t mind secondhand then the Sage VXP 10’ #6 is a nice rod if one pops up. Heavy compared to the latest and greatest but not enough to tire you after a day on the water.

I’d be tempted by 10’ #5’s too for dry fly on lochs and reservoirs. I’ll add the Stickman in that size eventually.

Hi Sean,

If you can sell me ANY Stickman for sub 200£, I ll happily buy it, no matter length/line rating! (Joking of course, but seriously though if you want to sell me a stickman at that price, no matter the model/version, I ll have it ! ;-))

I d like a bit more oomph than a 5wt simply to facilitate dealing with wind, especially when using a large foam fly (tchernobil ant as an example) as the floating anchor of the washing line set up.

lavo85

Im using a mackenzie nx1 9ft 6wt, cracking light rod with a lovely action.

sean freeman

Hi Sean,

If you can sell me ANY Stickman for sub 200£, I ll happily buy it, no matter length/line rating! (Joking of course, but seriously though if you want to sell me a stickman at that price, no matter the model/version, I ll have it ! ;-))

I d like a bit more oomph than a 5wt simply to facilitate dealing with wind, especially when using a large foam fly (tchernobil ant as an example) as the floating anchor of the washing line set up.
I’d need my head testing 😂 I watched a P5 on eBay last month that stayed at £275 for ages and told my mate to go for it as it might go cheap being a lesser known brand but it achieved £440!

Yeah for those methods a six is probably best, if I got the Ti5 it’d be double sedgehogs, wets and Caenis etc. The VXP is the only 10’ #6 I have but I don’t feel as though I’ll ever change it, it’s a cannon but I never bump fish off either. Nice rods.