12 wullf

doobrysnatcher

just put this together any thoughts
183814741_518454939565305_8521933173508756430_n.jpg

Sash

It’s lovely but, based on my experience, the wing is a bit too long: I tied some like that, with snowshoe hare for the wing, and on the water the long wing just flopped over to one side.
For a Wolff, you need the (split) wing about one quarter longer than the hackle: the same length as your (perfectly-proportioned) tail.

doobrysnatcher

It’s lovely but, based on my experience, the wing is a bit too long: I tied some like that, with snowshoe hare for the wing, and on the water the long wing just flopped over to one side.
For a Wolff, you need the (split) wing about one quarter longer than the hackle: the same length as your (perfectly-proportioned) tail.
thanks i appreciate the advice ,but im always listening out for sound advice,its a steep learning curve ,these are tied with squirrell tail probally stiffer hairs

Sash

Squirrel hair is a good material for Wulffs, as is white calf tail.

But it needs to just stick outside the hackle. And, since the white tips are the softest part of the hair, it then does not unbalance the fly, and make it fall to one side.

A rough measurement suggests that your wing is half as long again as your tail: keep the tail identical in length (I have been there, too!), and cut the wings down; probably more then you think is “right”.

I have a box of poorly-proportioned Wulffs: most of them are (having tried them on a river), useless! It’s a very hard fly to get right, especially in a Size 12.

doobrysnatcher

Squirrel hair is a good material for Wulffs, as is white calf tail.

But it needs to just stick outside the hackle. And, since the white tips are the softest part of the hair, it then does not unbalance the fly, and make it fall to one side.

A rough measurement suggests that your wing is half as long again as your tail: keep the tail identical in length (I have been there, too!), and cut the wings down; probably more then you think is “right”.

I have a box of poorly-proportioned Wulffs: most of them are (having tried them on a river), useless! It’s a very hard fly to get right, especially in a Size 12.
ill have a go later ,see how i get on ,heres 2 more i tied before you adressed the error , same as above wings to long
184011686_518739306203535_7422502542283442685_n.jpg
183722867_518731982870934_3101323749078479736_n.jpg

im aware of it now so hopefully ill improve

Sash

Those two look surprisingly better!

I suspect it‘s a combination of the wing being shorter, and also more forward-swept, rather than upright: that’s what really causes Wulffs to tip on their side.

Just don’t get me started on how the tippet twist!

iainmortimer

Those are really nice bodies and I especially like the yellow rib over the green on the first fly posted. Wulf’s are strange things to tie because for some reason anything even slightly over or under on proportion seems to really stand out! Great attempt for a tenth go let alone first and you can see the improvement in each one 👍

doobrysnatcher

Those are really nice bodies and I especially like the yellow rib over the green on the first fly posted. Wulf’s are strange things to tie because for some reason anything even slightly over or under on proportion seems to really stand out! Great attempt for a tenth go let alone first and you can see the improvement in each one 👍
thanks ian its always nice to hear your input,ive been trying to tie these all week ,and im finally starting to enjoy tying them ,just a few errors to iron out but as i said before" if your not aware youll continue regardless "as the saying goes (if you know you know )

shortcircuit

You can call me a heretic if you like, but I use white Antron or poly yarn for the wings on a Wulff. Not as elegant looking as using calf hair or snowshoe rabbit, but a way easier to deal with!

Cap'n Fishy

Nice flies, Ken. I always like to keep a few Wulffs among the modern mayfly patterns. It's a good sighter on the dropper as well. Jimmy and I had a real interesting day last season. Over the mayfly season we must have caught the vast majority of our fish on flies like the paraloop spinner and the Found Link and shuck patterns and the likes. But there was one single day in the middle of it all when the fish were absolutely focused on taking a grey Wulff. Picking it out on the dropper all day. Don't know what was different about that one day??? :unsure:

Col

JCP

Nice flies, Ken. I always like to keep a few Wulffs among the modern mayfly patterns. It's a good sighter on the dropper as well. Jimmy and I had a real interesting day last season. Over the mayfly season we must have caught the vast majority of our fish on flies like the paraloop spinner and the Found Link and shuck patterns and the likes. But there was one single day in the middle of it all when the fish were absolutely focused on taking a grey Wulff. Picking it out on the dropper all day. Don't know what was different about that one day??? :unsure:

Col
Hope you are on the mend Cap'n...

Best JP

flytire

looks fine

Lee Wulff is said to have originally tied them with a single wing of bucktail vs split wings

anyway, fish cant count

doobrysnatcher

Col
im not really familiar with those flies col is this one

Cap'n Fishy

im not really familiar with those flies col is this one

Yep, that's the one. There is also the hackle-stack version...

The paraloop spinner is this one...

Mayfly spinner

Hackling technique...

Jimmy developed a version of the crippled midge that he uses to good effect as a shuck pattern. On Menteith, they feed on more mayfly shucks than they do duns or spinners.

Col

Latest posts