15 years is a long time.

BobP

On Tuesday I had to have my oldest Springer put to sleep and despite having three more it still leaves a big hole. He was 15 years old. He had been out with me picking up on Monday. Only did one drive as he has done for most of this season, but still found and retrieved four partridges.

On Tuesday morning when I went to let them all out he could not stand up and fell over several times. It looked most likely that he had had a stroke and so that was that.

My number 2 spaniel is also out of action and seems to have trapped a nerve on his back somewhere near the shoulders. He won't be able to do any more this season and future seasons will depend on what sort of recovery - if any - he makes.

That brings me down to 2 dogs and luckily the youngster, Juneau, at just over 18 months is without doubt the best I've ever had at that age and finds & retrieves brilliantly. Only 5 more days picking up to go and I pray the dogs can get through with no further dramas.

tbs

On Tuesday I had to have my oldest Springer put to sleep and despite having three more it still leaves a big hole. He was 15 years old. He had been out with me picking up on Monday. Only did one drive as he has done for most of this season, but still found and retrieved four partridges.

On Tuesday morning when I went to let them all out he could not stand up and fell over several times. It looked most likely that he had had a stroke and so that was that.

My number 2 spaniel is also out of action and seems to have trapped a nerve on his back somewhere near the shoulders. He won't be able to do any more this season and future seasons will depend on what sort of recovery - if any - he makes.

That brings me down to 2 dogs and luckily the youngster, Juneau, at just over 18 months is without doubt the best I've ever had at that age and finds & retrieves brilliantly. Only 5 more days picking up to go and I pray the dogs can get through with no further dramas.
Feel for you Bob as we had our German Wire Haired Pointer / Brittany put down at 15 1/2 yrs.
You give them your best and they pay you back in bundles, that is for sure.
Our old boy was suffering from dementia at the end and was getting a bit frantic and nervous at night and had to have sedation to calm him.
Then when his back legs got really stiff and painful I decided the time was right as I didn’t want to get to the stage where he had lost the quality of life, but my god I miss him.
My son has just got a Visla which he plans to work so we are looking forward to see how he progresses. and at the moment I am dogless which has left a huge gap.

All the best

Ian

Mrtrout

Sad news Bob, never an easy thing when an old and trusted pal goes, my last springer also had a stroke, pitiful to see them like that when they are normally so full of life.
Hope the other gets back to normal soon.
S.

Mies

A sad day. Had to get my 13 year old German Pointer put down a couple of years ago. I was absolutely gutted. Don't even remember the drive home from the vet. Packed up the shooting and can't see myself getting another dog. Found the whole experience a little too much and don't fancy having to repeat it.

Lamson v10

Very sad indeed sir you have my sympathies, it sounds like you have a good youngster .. best of luck with it

I must admit I'd be lost without my wee girl Talla she follows absolutely everywhere, I can't even sit at the vice and tie fly's without her being at my feet

DSC_0647.jpg

DSC_1103.jpg

Arnold

Latest posts