2020 Euros

G

green man

Easy to predict the outcome after the event.

My point was, that the Welsh were bigging themselves up before the event. It made their dismal failure at the first serious hurdle, while not assured, feel inevitable.

I wouldn't normally be so critical of the lower-ranked nations, but their lack of humility surprised me. Even in defeat some of them were blaming the referee and the tournament schedule. Little mention of the excellent Danes. Probably the result of a misguided belief that they are now in the big league. Bale and Ramsey were shadows of their former selves and I can't see where the players are coming from to replace them. Here is a prediction - they get to the World Cup finals, but fail to get out of their group.

And if you think I'm biased in favour of England, I could write a whole page in advance of their failure to progress. :confused:

diawl bach

My point was, that the Welsh were bigging themselves up before the event. It made their dismal failure at the first serious hurdle, while not assured, feel inevitable.
I wouldn't normally be so critical of the lower-ranked nations, but their lack of humility surprised me. Even in defeat some of them were blaming the referee and the tournament schedule. Little mention of the excellent Danes. Probably the result of a misguided belief that they are now in the big league. Bale and Ramsey were shadows of their former selves and I can't see where the players are coming from to replace them. Here is a prediction - they get to the World Cup finals, but fail to get out of their group.

They'd hardly do it after the event, particularly after a 4-0 defeat 😁 but still, dismal as their failure was Wales do consistently punch above their weight in sport, we have a population of just over 3 million to draw from and still manage to give our more populous neighbours a run for their money, consequently we don't do humble however much others may feel it's a requirement for a smaller nation.

Vintage Badger

They'd hardly do it after the event, particularly after a 4-0 defeat 😁 but still, dismal as their failure was Wales do consistently punch above their weight in sport, we have a population of just over 3 million to draw from and still manage to give our more populous neighbours a run for their money, consequently we don't do humble however much others may feel it's a requirement for a smaller nation.
Exactly, only 3 million to draw from, and half of them are female. So not a bad performance to even qualify. How long did it take Scotland to do that with a population of 5.4 million? Plus, don't forget, football is traditionally Wales' 'second' national game, rather than it's first (rugby)!

G

green man

They'd hardly do it after the event, particularly after a 4-0 defeat
Duh... of course not.

Nor did they complain about the schedule, venues and refereeing, until after they got knocked out.

consequently we don't do humble however much others may feel it's a requirement for a smaller nation.
Humility has got nothing to do with the size and so-called stature of a nation. But let's not confuse humility and pride. Humility isn't about weakness or the acceptance of inferiority. And pride needn't be sign of arrogance. It just stuck me that, leading up to Denmark, the Welsh squad over-stepped the mark between pride and a lack of humility. Or maybe it was just the gap between unrealistic expectations and reality.

Look, I'm just enjoying a little schadenfreude in advance of the demise of England... and the fact that the FA are going to give Southgate another three years, regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:

GEK79

England came to this tournament talking about getting to the semi-finals again. And they say the Welsh are deluded. 😁
The press are England's worst enemy.. Not sure how the Welsh press treated Wales I hope with praise..

diawl bach

Look, I'm just enjoying a little schadenfreude in advance of the demise of England... and the fact that the FA are going to give Southgate another three years, regardless.
Fair enough (y)

I hope England get through and give us all an exciting game while they win - I'm really looking forward to watching it.

G

green man

Fair enough (y)

I hope England get through and give us all an exciting game while they win - I'm really looking forward to watching it.

If we lose, I'd rather we lose in style. But with Southgate being Mr Cautious, I just can't see it. Hope I proved wrong.

GEK79

Fair enough (y)

Me too lad... All I ask if for the English to play as well as they can not this soft football... Ive no care of anything really did Wales big themselves up did England do any team playing in a tournament its a must.
Oherhaos they did blame various reasons.. That's the live of the game..
And if the English loose Southgate will get hammered.
Its football...
A game we love to hate.

GEK79

Not sure if someone has already started a thread on the 2020 euros yet so please accept my apologies if this does turn out to be the case.

So the first game is all but over and Italy look composed and very handy on the ball, I do suspect Chiellini will have a wobble when put under pressure by a better team
AU REVOIR............... 😜😜😜😜😜😜

Attachments

• IMG_20210628_224633_edit_1666356260546773.jpg
    IMG_20210628_224633_edit_1666356260546773.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 4

Scotty90

Shocked to see France out, they were not the best side tonight. Akanji kept mbappe at bay all night, done his job spot on. Well done the Swiss.

Noodles

Well that was a turn up for the books, well done to the swiss.

And the spain Croatia game wasnt exactly a slow burner either

Dingbat

A new though has occurred to me - England beat Germany on penalties, the papers cut down forests on how the curse has been lifted, and then they lose to Switzerland on penalties ....

GEK79

Not sure if someone has already started a thread on the 2020 euros yet so please accept my apologies if this does turn out to be the case.

So the first game is all but over and Italy look composed and very handy on the ball, I do suspect Chiellini will have a wobble when put under pressure by a better team

Attachments

• IMG_20210629_184319.jpg
    IMG_20210629_184319.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 2

Noodles

England deserved that win, the kruts aren't what they once were and didn't really turn up.

Is it just me or are english commentators the most biast of any ???

GEK79

England deserved that win, the kruts aren't what they once were and didn't really turn up.

Is it just me or are english commentators the most biast of any ???
I'd have to say the Irish commentating on an English game... πŸ‘πŸ‘