2020 Euros

GEK79

Brilliant! Wales - architects of Turkey's defeat - played a blinder what an evening!

A real nail biter with Wales showing far more form than they did against Switzerland despite, as said above, missing several very good opportunities. A great day for Welsh supporters, we may, fingers crossed, be through. Italy looks like a tough one but with 4 points we should be okay.
A draw sees the Welsh through doesn't it.. And then the Swiss against Turkey will make a difference its not quite there yet lad but Y Ddraig Goch will see you through. 😜😜

diawl bach

Should do but it's incredibly complicated, as TBH a draw against Italy will be a tough one - checked the Western Mail to see what the experts said earlier -

Wales put themselves in a commanding position to qualify for the knockout stages of Euro 2020 by beating Turkey 2-0 in Baku.

Aaron Ramsey struck his 17th international goal in the first half before Gareth Bale missed a penalty just after the hour mark.

But Connor Roberts struck in injury time as the Red Dragons clinched three precious points.

It means Rob Page's men have four points going into their final group stage fixture against Italy in Rome on Sunday, and, crucially, they can no longer finish bottom of their group.

Wales are now - albeit most likely only briefly due to Italy's clash with Switzerland taking place tonight - sitting at the summit of Group A thanks to their triumph over Şenol Güneş' side in Azerbaijan.

Their victory against the Turks should prove enough to get them through to the last-16, but results elsewhere will dictate how things pan out.

Should Switzerland lose to Italy, Wales would guarantee themselves a place in the knockouts with a win or a draw against Roberto Mancini's side on Sunday.

They would also guarantee progression if they lost to Italy, as long as Switzerland don't beat Turkey on Sunday and finish with a better goal difference than Wales. Even in this worst case scenario, Wales would almost certainly progress as one of the best third-placed sides.

Should Switzerland beat Italy, Wales would guarantee progression with a win or a draw against Italy, although, again, they would still almost certainly finish as one of the best third-placed sides if they lost.

If Italy v Switzerland ends in a draw, Wales would officially confirm their place in the last-16 with a win in Rome, but, once again, a draw or even a loss should be enough.

The top two sides in all six groups automatically progress into the knockout stages. The remaining four last-16 places will go to the four-best third-placed sides.

The third-placed duo of Slovakia and Republic of Ireland progressed into the knockout stages of Euro 2016 having claimed four points from the nine on offer in the group phase.

Northern Ireland and eventual champions Portugal both went through with just three points. Turkey and Albania were the unlucky pair to miss out having amassed the same points total, although their inferior goal difference proved costly.

So it seems the win against Turkey will be more than enough to get Wales into the knockouts, although they may have to wait until a few days after the Italy game for official confirmation.

So, not entirely in the bag but very close.

Dingbat

I put the Welsh coming out of that group third with Switzerland second and Italy first - I admit I hadn't realised that Switzerland haven't won any of their last 9 matches.

The real proof of the Welsh pudding will be the game against Italy. By which I mean less the final score and more the ability to stand up to a top tier team.

I guess the final rankings will come down to goal differences? I can't see the Swiss hammering the Turks neither can I see the Welsh beating the Italians so I guess damage control will be the main Welsh activity?

Bale missing a penalty? Bet he has an English grandparent.

GEK79

I put the Welsh coming out of that group third with Switzerland second and Italy first - I admit I hadn't realised that Switzerland haven't won any of their last 9 matches.

The real proof of the Welsh pudding will be the game against Italy. By which I mean less the final score and more the ability to stand up to a top tier team.

I guess the final rankings will come down to goal differences? I can't see the Swiss hammering the Turks neither can I see the Welsh beating the Italians so I guess damage control will be the main Welsh activity?

Bale missing a penalty? Bet he has an English grandparent.
The Turks now have to prove something so Switzerland may face a tough challenge. The Welsh Italy game could be good game Italy have qualified so do they need to play full strength team... I hate those stupid penalties. Stutter then try and place.. Put your boot through the ball.. Will be good to see what happens..

Vintage Badger

We must not take away from the Welsh performance.. They played with all the guts they had that's what you want to see.
You're absolutely right, it was a good game. Bale kept his head after missing that penalty and more than made up for it. A cracking assist for that second goal. He seems like a nice chap too. Best of luck to Wales on Sunday too. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

delray

Harry Kane.....I'm fully aware of his scoring record and his " link up" play - Yes he is very good and consistent.

But as a player I just don't like him, and I really don't know why ( probably because he is slow).....I've just never been convinced about him.
Slow? It's like watching the Queen Mary turning, BUT, he scores.
I'll be watching tomorrow night if allowed, and if not allowed, not too much bothered.

Robbie Savage; "Get into the corner, get into the corner!!!.......Gooooaaaalllll!!" Love it.

GEK79

Slow? It's like watching the Queen Mary turning, BUT, he scores.
I'll be watching tomorrow night if allowed, and if not allowed, not too much bothered.

Robbie Savage; "Get into the corner, get into the corner!!!.......Gooooaaaalllll!!" Love it.
Savage was never an excellent player but by god did he give it his all evry singke game and see when that Welsh shirt went on he was proud. Nit so much of that these days...

original cormorant

As an englishman with no more than a passing interest in football I've just been asked by DPD driver Claudio delivering my scottish beer who will win tonight. I said Scotland are only capable of winning one match.. Was this a sensible answer?

GEK79

As an englishman with no more than a passing interest in football I've just been asked by DPD driver Claudio delivering my scottish beer who will win tonight. I said Scotland are only capable of winning one match.. Was this a sensible answer?
If the Scots win only one Game this will be it... Correct answer..

delray

It's peeing down in the South East, has been all day and will do into the evening; in these conditions I would not be placing a bet on England against a Scots team that without a victory are pretty much out. Scotland at 12/1 in a 2 'horse' race? That's where my £1 would go. (Mansion Bet should you want to know)

Rob Edmunds

The rivalry will make this a tougher game than ever, The Scottish team will be well up for this and I can see it being quite tasty, probably more like a league game than an international.

Still I think we may just nick it

MobyJones

Scotland will be trying harder than ever to beat England for sure. If the Czechs beat or draw with Croatia even more so. After all can you imagine how much they'd want England to effectively send them home?

England should take a couple of piss taking long range shots to unsettle their keeper after he was lobbed last time. Possibly the best goal in the tournament so far.

Last edited:

GEK79

The rivalry will make this a tougher game than ever, The Scottish team will be well up for this and I can see it being quite tasty, probably more like a league game than an international.

Still I think we may just nick it
Nil nil half time... 🤔🤔🤔

Rob Edmunds

Crying out for Grealish to take players on, create space and win fouls around the opposition box....need someone who naturally wants to go forward

Get Kane off and Rashford or Greenwood on , pace, youth and hunger.

But who's going to go in for Kane now on his Euros showing??? Surely a championship team will have a punt in him😉

GEK79

Crying out for Grealish to take players on, create space and win fouls around the opposition box....need someone who naturally wants to go forward

Get Kane off and Rashford or Greenwood on , pace, youth and hunger.

But who's going to go in for Kane now on his Euros showing??? Surely a championship team will have a punt in him😉
Coventry City could use him
.. I'm. On way home from Outside dining.. The pub had no screens. I've had several beers and 2hiskies.so if the Scots win I'll feel a little better. 😜😜