2020 Euros

BobP

I do not know how it came about that England got home advantage in so many of their games and i very much doubt that suziki15hp does either, thought I would not be surprised to see him spout off about it & claim that he knew all along.

If England had some luck along the way so what? Makes a change for England to get the rub of the green for once. It is usually others that get that bit of help.

BTW, I am beginning to get the feeling that we have heard from this character before. Something about the aggressive know-all but know nothing way he writes.

suzuki15hp

I do not know how it came about that England got home advantage in so many of their games and i very much doubt that suziki15hp does either, thought I would not be surprised to see him spout off about it & claim that he knew all along.

If England had some luck along the way so what? Makes a change for England to get the rub of the green for once. It is usually others that get that bit of help.

BTW, I am beginning to get the feeling that we have heard from this character before. Something about the aggressive know-all but know nothing way he writes.
Why are you just making up stuff? Are you simply trying to appear big? I'm not claiming to know anything. I'm just offering my opinions. Feel free to debate against my opinions, but you would come across better if you refrained from using personally insulting adjectives in your replies.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
You guys all bonkers?
Current England manager got the team into first major competition finals since 1966, and you are expecting him to lose his job?
Been a heck of a lot of "big name" managers have tried same, and never came close!
He aint gonna lose his job, will probably get an honour of some sort in next awards list!

ohanzee

I concede it was a great team achievement for England to reach the final, just to fall agonisingly short at the very last minute; however, I wouldn't give so much of the credit to Southgate.

One more penalty in and it could have been very different, pure chance, one Scotland didn't make, nor Wales, nor anyone else but England and Italy, our privilege to critique stopped there.

caeran

To clarify; you believe that the best penalty kickers were chosen, and that selection was 100% about the players most likely to score, and absolutely nothing else?

Yes that is the case
Luck has a lot do with winning especially in finals
Rashford hit the post on what was actually an excellent attempt
A few millimetres to the right and he would have scored
Saka and Sancho although young are top professional footballers and would get into most teams and they are international professional trained players.
They have been coached and trained to take penalties and were chosen to take them as part of the tactics should the need arise
They knew that before kick off and when they came on as subs with just seconds to go
They were given a task and they did it
Saka and Sancho did not miss their penalties
The goalkeeper is a trained professional and is coached and maybe knew or even guessed which way to dive to save the penalties
He got lucky that’s all
Nothing else to see here

And if anyone thinks that Gareth Southgate choice of the penalty takers was an act of tokenism then they need to think again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LukeNZ

Yes that is the case
Luck has a lot do with winning especially in finals
Rashford hit the post on what was actually an excellent attempt
A few millimetres to the right and he would have scored
Saka and Sancho although young are top professional footballers and would get into most teams and they are international professional trained players.
They have been coached and trained to take penalties and were chosen to take them as part of the tactics should the need arise
They knew that before kick off and when they came on as subs with just seconds to go
They were given a task and they did it
Saka and Sancho did not miss their penalties
The goalkeeper is a trained professional and is coached and maybe knew or even guessed which way to dive to save the penalties
He got lucky that’s all
Nothing else to see here

And if anyone thinks that Gareth Southgate choice of the penalty takers was an act of tokenism then they need to think again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed.

Reality is; the Italians were just the best team on the day. And that was evident, even before the penalties.

🙃

Vintage Badger

Agreed.

Reality is; the Italians were just the best team on the day. And that was evident, even before the penalties.

🙃
Then they should have won the match in normal time, if that were the case.

Furthermore, it should be the better team, not the best team. It would appear that you know as much about English grammar as you do about football! ;)

MobyJones

No idea if Suzuki is a previous member. I don’t even care if he is if Im brutally honest. I think there’s a fair chance someone else on here is though!

MobyJones

You guys all bonkers?
Current England manager got the team into first major competition finals since 1966, and you are expecting him to lose his job?
Been a heck of a lot of "big name" managers have tried same, and never came close!
He aint gonna lose his job, will probably get an honour of some sort in next awards list!

I concur. I’m still waiting for someone to suggest a suitable replacement. Fergie might have been the best club manager in my time. But he’s been retired for a long time now. I doubt he’d have anywhere near the same influence in shaping the young lads in the English team like he did at Man Utd.

The other problem is who’d actually want the job with the British press? Look what happened when the FA approached the ex Brazilian manager who’s name I forget.

codyarrow

You've missed the point. Statistically Southgate is now likely to crash and burn in the next one. He's had two good tournaments and the concept raised as I understand it was if he bowed out at this point his reputation would be intact.

No ones suggested Fergie, if you re read it a 'Fergie' type was suggested . For the record AF turned down England twice I believe. Whether or not a Fergie type would work is debatable as you do not have the same level of personal influence at national level as you would at club.

aenoon

You've missed the point. Statistically Southgate is now likely to crash and burn in the next one. He's had two good tournaments and the concept raised as I understand it was if he bowed out at this point his reputation would be intact.

No ones suggested Fergie, if you re read it a 'Fergie' type was suggested . For the record AF turned down England twice I believe. Whether or not a Fergie type would work is debatable as you do not have the same level of personal influence at national level as you would at club.
Surely that is in the hands of the incumbent?
By that, I mean, do you really think Sir Alex would not have imposed his influence on national team even more than at club level?
One or two international players that worked with him, for both club and country, might just argue the case!

LukeNZ

Then they should have won the match in normal time, if that were the case.

Furthermore, it should be the better team, not the best team. It would appear that you know as much about English grammar as you do about football! ;)
You always find that when a person knows they have lost an argument - they get all pompous about the spelling and grammar of said better argument.

Content, should always be king!

An interesting international scale of human performance measure that shouldn't insult any team = good, better, best.

Italy were best, on that scale.

🙃

Last edited:

codyarrow

Surely that is in the hands of the incumbent?
By that, I mean, do you really think Sir Alex would not have imposed his influence on national team even more than at club level?
One or two international players that worked with him, for both club and country, might just argue the case!
The relationship is different. At club level AF had the final say in transfer policy and discipline, and a core group of trusted players to maintain the balance. International level you have players developing all sorts of injuries for international friendlies - in short they do not need to turn up to earn a living, and the 'club first' mentality is obviously present. The dynamics different - I would like to think an old style manager like AF would work, but that kind of character needs day in day out interaction with players to get the best from them.

Vintage Badger

You always find that when a person knows they have lost an argument - they get all pompous about the spelling and grammar of said better argument.

Content, should always be king!

An interesting international scale of human performance measure that shouldn't insult any team = good, better, best.

Italy were best, on that scale.

🙃
You can always tell when someone has got the better of a childish little troll too!

GEK79

Not splitting hairs as I agree with you Southgate is due an oooops moment but with the talent he has and the way he has handled the world stage I would like to see him manage at least the world cup squad..
As mentioned earlier he is a successful. Manager... Unlucky and possibly a couple of bad decisions... But we all make them... I'd like him to stay and be proud of what he has done and may yet do more.. 👍👍

LukeNZ

Not splitting hairs as I agree with you Southgate is due an oooops moment but with the talent he has and the way he has handled the world stage I would like to see him manage at least the world cup squad..
As mentioned earlier he is a successful. Manager... Unlucky and possibly a couple of bad decisions... But we all make them... I'd like him to stay and be proud of what he has done and may yet do more.. 👍👍
There is also a heck of a lot of luck involved in soccer and sport in general too; and it is very difficult to factor for. You can't actually manage it, despite the saying, thst you make your own luck, because for that to be the case, then you must also make your own bad luck. therefore one cancels the other, etc,.?

🙃

Dingbat

Presumption 1: A country like England should be a permanent fixture in the quarters and a regular in the semis.
Assumption 1: England aren't strong enough to win it.

How much love is he going to get if

1.) he goes out in the quarters?
2.) he goes out in the semis?

aenoon

Presumption 1: A country like England should be a permanent fixture in the quarters and a regular in the semis.
Assumption 1: England aren't strong enough to win it.

How much love is he going to get if

1.) he goes out in the quarters?
2.) he goes out in the semis?
Presumption 1: thought they almost always did!
Assumption 1: they might just be (again, having done it before)

Next one is world cup, not the closed shop of Euros.
Englnd make quarters, fair result.
England make semis, good result.
England make final, nooooooooooooooooooo! awful result!

codyarrow

Next one is world cup, not the closed shop of Euros.
Euro's are always harder to win than the world cup. Ok you have the addition of Argentina and Brazil, but beyond that better European teams are eliminated in the qualifiers for the world cup to be replaced by weaker African and Asian teams. This has always been the case - although the margins are narrowing.
Personally I would love to see an African nation lift the trophy.

Latest posts