2020 Euros

delray

For long periods it seemed that England had forgotten which goal they were supposed to be attacking as at least 70% of their passes went backwards.
:ROFLMAO:

1994 Caribbean Cup qualification
Group A
On January 27, 1994, the Barbados national football team and Grenada national football team played against each other as part of the qualification round for the 1994 Caribbean Cup. Due to an unusual scoring rule and the two teams' respective positions in the tournament, it became alternately in the best interest of each team to score an own goal. The result has been described as "one of the strangest football matches ever".[1][2]

The organizers of the tournament had imposed a rule requiring all matches to have a winner, and this was enforced with an unusual variant of the golden goal rule: the first goal scored in extra-time not only won the match, but was also worth two goals. Barbados started the match needing to win by a margin of at least two goals to qualify for the final tournament, and after Grenada scored late in normal time to bring the scoreline to 2–1, Barbados deliberately scored an own goal to force extra-time, where they could get the two-goal winning margin they needed courtesy of the unconventional golden goal rule.[1] This resulted in an unusual situation: for the last three minutes of the match, Grenada was trying to score on both goals, as either outcome (3–2 or 2–3) would have advanced them to the finals, while Barbados had to defend both goals. Ultimately, Barbados was able to prevent Grenada from scoring, thus forcing extra-time, and scored the golden goal to win the match.

GEK79

you can always rely on the English for a bit of self flagellation and self loathing as far as their national sport teams Alan😂
being miserable and pessimistic must be in the genes....

England were very average, so were Scotland
it was a draw, a better result for England than Scotland...
MUST be in our genes in theory now if England loose and Scotland win by 4 goals or more then England don't qualify and Scotland do and that would be deserving pointing out that England played with no gusto or desire then Jeez what's the point in talking about sport..
Scotland deserved the draw and played well above average..
If the Scots play like that against Croatia then good I'd Cheer for them.. Maybe that's too optimistic for and English fan..

GEK79

What was noticeable was that the longer the game went on the less England were interested in winning it. When the Scots had the ball they attacked at pace; when they had the ball in mid-field England made little effort to harass them and get the ball back. When England had the ball they "attacked" at walking pace; when England had the ball in mid-field there would be a minimum of two Scots harassing the player with the ball. Scotland's passing was much more effective than England's. An England player would pass the ball back to a player from whom he had just received the ball despite that player being already surrounded by Scottish players, with the inevitable result of losing possession. For long periods it seemed that England had forgotten which goal they were supposed to be attacking as at least 70% of their passes went backwards. I hope they have booked their return flight on Wednesday because I suspect they will need it.
Careful lad very miser ale and pessimistic.. 😊😊😊

boisker

MUST be in our genes in theory now if England loose and Scotland win by 4 goals or more then England don't qualify and Scotland do and that would be deserving pointing out that England played with no gusto or desire then Jeez what's the point in talking about sport..
Scotland deserved the draw and played well above average..
If the Scots play like that against Croatia then good I'd Cheer for them.. Maybe that's too optimistic for and English fan..

good for you.... an honorary Jock...

I wouldn’t class an ’English‘ fan cheering for Scotland as being optimistic:sneaky:

PaulD

For long periods it seemed that England had forgotten which goal they were supposed to be attacking as at least 70% of their passes went backwards.
Strangely Bob, football tactics and opposing defences have improved since you and your chums crowded around the ball on the school playground, hoofed it and chased it towards the opponents goal.

In rugby, 100% of the passes are backwards, it's the way to spread defences and open spaces. The opposition can't score when they don't have the ball.

GEK79

good for you.... an honorary Jock...

I wouldn’t class an ’English‘ fan cheering for Scotland as being optimistic:sneaky:
I would tho.. Its funny when sat here watching the game and lads have man utd Chelsea Liverpool shirts on but won't cheer for the English in an international.. When England go out or aren't playing u will cheer for the other 3 nations... Sure its the love of the game.. 👍

GEK79

Strangely Bob, football tactics and opposing defences have improved since you and your chums crowded around the ball on the school playground, hoofed it and chased it towards the opponents goal.

In rugby, 100% of the passes are backwards, it's the way to spread defences and open spaces. The opposition can't score when they don't have the ball.
Sadly it didn't work for England... 😉😉

PaulD

Sadly it didn't work for England... 😉😉

Didn't it?

England presently second in their group and likely to qualify for the last 16, Scotland at the bottom of the group and less likely?

Don't get me wrong, I thought Scotland played very well, tremendous work ethic and commitment but I think they played to their limit.

GEK79

Didn't it?

England presently second in their group and likely to qualify for the last 16, Scotland at the bottom of the group and less likely?

Don't get me wrong, I thought Scotland played very well, tremendous work ethic and commitment but I think they played to their limit.
No argument lad it seems to have been the plan.. It seems England are looking for a draw in the last Game against an Okay Czech rep..
So in theory if the Czech beat the English and Croatia beat Scotland 2-0 then England go home.. Same if the Scots beat Croatia 4-0 and England loose on the way.. So they will have to possibly play the same football against a decent team.. Or go out and stick it on them.. We can only watch and hope.. ⌚👍

GEK79

Not sure if someone has already started a thread on the 2020 euros yet so please accept my apologies if this does turn out to be the case.

So the first game is all but over and Italy look composed and very handy on the ball, I do suspect Chiellini will have a wobble when put under pressure by a better team
Today we could see Germany going home Portugal to beat them France to beat Hungary and its
Auf Wiedersehen Germany.. 🤣🤣

BobP

No Paul, and the team in possession can't score when they are all playing towards their own goal. Comparing rugby passes and football passes is very poor. In rugby you can ONLY pass the ball backwards.

You don't deal with the stupidity of passing a ball to one of your own side who is already crowded by two or three of the opposition. Happened far too often last night. You don't deal with the issue of our players attacking at walking pace when the Scots galloped from one end of the pitch to the other when in possession.

England screwed up big time last night and I would not be surprised to see them beaten on Tuesday and home on Wednesday.

Dingbat

Today we could see Germany going home Portugal to beat them France to beat Hungary and its
I had England - Croatia - CzechR and France - Germany - Portugal, largely because I don't trust Portugal to do the biz.

Disappointed at England

No Paul, and the team in possession can't score when they are all playing towards their own goal. Comparing rugby passes and football passes is very poor. In rugby you can ONLY pass the ball backwards.

You don't deal with the stupidity of passing a ball to one of your own side who is already crowded by two or three of the opposition. Happened far too often last night. You don't deal with the issue of our players attacking at walking pace when the Scots galloped from one end of the pitch to the other when in possession.

England screwed up big time last night and I would not be surprised to see them beaten on Tuesday and home on Wednesday.

IIRC the British press reveled in Beckham's free kicking. What I noticed with him was his precision passing - quite often unnoticed by the commentators - the kind good European players do.

Elwyman

I think Kane needs reminding that he's a centre forward and he doesn't have to keep tracking back so much. He looked tired last night.

hutch6

First game I’ve watched in a few years and I don’t understand the throw-in ruling any more.
Seems the ball goes out of play at one location but the throw is taken from 20yds away from where it initially went out. It’s blatant and the ref or liners do nothing about it.

boisker

I would tho.. Its funny when sat here watching the game and lads have man utd Chelsea Liverpool shirts on but won't cheer for the English in an international.. When England go out or aren't playing u will cheer for the other 3 nations... Sure its the love of the game.. 👍

nah... I wouldn’t... I don’t really understand the concept of cheering for Scotland if England had been knocked out. I’m not Scottish and have no family ties to them.. even remotely...
it’s 400miles to Scotland and about 30 miles to France... I may as well support France 😂
I don’t have any wish to see any of the other ’home nations’ play poorly or well... I’m completely apathetic to their success, unless it impacts England:sneaky:

GEK79

I had England - Croatia - CzechR and France - Germany - Portugal, largely because I don't trust Portugal to do the biz.

Disappointed at England

IIRC the British press reveled in Beckham's free kicking. What I noticed with him was his precision passing - quite often unnoticed by the commentators - the kind good European players do.
Become could put a ball on a 1pence piece from 50 yards. Quality.

boisker

your predictions aren’t going to well:)

i wonder if Bob will now be saying France after drawing to Hungary are rubbish and will be going home mid-week...

it’s as though no-one has ever seen the group stages before...

doesn’t matter how you play, it only matters you get through the group...

BobP

"Doesn't matter how you play". The problem is that England didn't play.

I'm not that concerned about how France play.

benisa

Football is a funny game you can never say who will win

look at Germany to-night 2 own goals given to them otherwise it would have been a draw

Belgium are a good bet

Latest posts