24 hours to force the government to stop sewage pollution

Editor

Fish&Fly
Staff member
Issued by the Angling Trust:

Parliament will be debating the Environment Bill on Wednesday (20th October). This is the last chance to make sure the Bill contains firm action to stop raw sewage pouring into our rivers and seas from storm overflows. We need you to EMAIL YOUR MP IN THE NEXT 24 HOURS to ask them to support clause 82 of the Environment Bill and resist any last-minute attempt by the government to weaken this clause.

Clause 82, will place a “Duty on sewerage undertakers to take all reasonable steps to ensure untreated sewage is not discharged from storm overflows”. This mean Water Companies will not just have to monitor and report, they must act to stop this pollution.

Emailing your MP is simple. Just visit Theyworkforyou.com, enter your post code and when you get to your MPs page click the “send a message” button.

Ask them to support Clause 82 of the Environment Bill at the Consideration of Lords Amendment debate and to tell them to resist any attempts by the government to change this clause. With over 400,000 spills from storm overflows in 2020, this is a chance to make a difference. When writing feel free to tell them how passionate you are about our rivers and seas, and how you want clear and healthy waters fit for fish to swim in and people to enjoy.

24-post-to-stop-sewage-pollution-.jpg

To find out more about our Anglers Against Pollution Campaign Click HERE

To Support our work and join the Angling Trust Click HERE

IF YOU CARE ABOUT OUR RIVERS JOIN NOW WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT !

#AnglersAgainstPollution

#AnglingTrust

The post 24 hours to force the government to stop sewage pollution appeared first on Angling Trust.

More...

BobP

It is plain stupid to even dream that we can FORCE the government to do anything. Writing as above is as good a way as any to ensure that the government will refuse to be forced. The Upper House has had its say, and it is a wise government that will look closely at what has been said. The democratic process at work.

PaulD

It is plain stupid to even dream that we can FORCE the government to do anything. Writing as above is as good a way as any to ensure that the government will refuse to be forced. The Upper House has had its say, and it is a wise government that will look closely at what has been said. The democratic process at work.
Do you not think it is plainly more stupid to deny our right to express our own opinion and communicate that to those MPs, elected to represent us?

Who's responsible for the increasing levels of sewerage pollution? Ah yes, the ten privatised water companies.

And who's responsible for monitoring river and environmental pollution, Flood Risk Management on major rivers, freshwater fisheries, water resource management and conservation of the natural environment. Ah yes, the Environment Agency, who's performance clearly indicates they're an underfunded, toothless and inadequate holder of the responsibility.

Your response is, we sit back and wait for 'a wise government,' to look closely at it because we don't want to upset anyone and make them dig their heels in. A 'solution' that doesn't seem to have worked too well since 1987.

Whinging pom

Well I for one wrote to my MP, he’s my representative and it’s the system we have. Silence is complicity in my book.

alibongo

It is plain stupid....you should have just stopped there.

PaulD

That's stuffed it -

In the analysis, if this is the current Government's decision, it makes it very clear that no angler should consider voting Tory until they reverse their decision, or 'think wisely and closely' as BobP would have it.

diawl bach

In the analysis, if this is the current Government's decision, it makes it very clear that no angler should consider voting Tory until they reverse their decision, or 'think wisely and closely' as BobP would have it.
Or anyone else who'd prefer that their river was sewage free. Or anyone at all in fact :p

Overmiwadrers

this is the response I received from My MP.. I would be interested to see if other peoples responses are similar or identical . political double talk at its finest,,,

Thank you for contacting me about the quality of bathing water in the UK.

I understand the importance of this issue to people up and down the country. I am pleased that bathing water quality in England is high, with major improvements seen in recent years. In the early 1990s, for example, just 28 per cent of bathing waters met the highest standards in force at that time. Based on data from 2019, 98.3 per cent of bathing waters now meet the minimum standard, with 93 per cent reaching the highest standards of Excellent or Good. I must add that, unfortunately, bathing water quality for the UK was reported to Europe for the last time in 2020 even though no classification was produced in England and Scotland due to the COVID-19 pandemic. The 2020 European Environment Agency league table ranked the UK last because this missed all of the normally ‘Excellent’ English and Scottish bathing waters that were not classified.

While it is disappointing that seven bathing waters were classified “poor” in 2019, I am encouraged by the action being taken to improve designated bathing waters in England. Over recent years, hundreds of projects have been completed to improve bathing water quality and successfully drive up standards. As well as this, around £25 billion has been invested to reduce pollution from sewage since water privatisation, covering improvements in sewage treatment and overflows.

Further, ministers have amended the Environment Bill to help crack down on the pollution in our rivers, waterways and coastlines, to better tackle the harm caused by storm overflows. These new measures will tackle overflows through a new requirement for water companies to monitor the water quality impacts of their sewage discharges and publish this information. I understand that water companies will also be required to publish near real-time information on when their storm overflows operate and that the amendments will introduce a duty requiring the Government to publish a report considering the costs and benefits of eliminating overflows entirely.

I must emphasise that the remaining “poor” bathing waters all have complex problems that require partnership working across Government and third-party organisations to rectify any issues. I am aware that sources of pollution identified in these instances ranged from sewer misconnections to sea birds, dogs, run-off from urban and agricultural land, as well as sewage from combined sewer overflows and septic tanks. I am pleased that the Environment Agency is working with its partners to look for solutions to these problems.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Kind regards,

Robert Goodwill MP

PaulD

Overmiwadrers

A couple of articles which would seem to imply that Robert Goodwill MP's enthusiasm about progress appears to be misplaced . . .

I am well aware of the problems......

O M W

Elwyman

Not sure if this means the issue will be properly debated, or will they just use the recent vote to dismiss it quickly?

Screenshot_20211023-124854_Samsung Internet.jpg

Elwyman

My local Tory MP has put this out to justify voting against the amendments. There are some valid technical reasons why a ban can't be implemented straight away, but we need more commitment to start long term investment in sorting out the problem.

ohanzee

My local Tory MP has put this out to justify voting against the amendments. There are some valid technical reasons why a ban can't be implemented straight away, but we need more commitment to start long term investment in sorting out the problem.

To me that reads like 'do nothing but enable fining water companies on a 'pay as you pollute' basis.

Latest posts