24 hours to force the government to stop sewage pollution

Elwyman

To me that reads like 'do nothing but enable fining water companies on a 'pay as you pollute' basis.
I think it's a bit more, but nothing definite, just a plan:

1. A new duty on Government to produce a statutory plan to reduce discharges from overflows and the harm this causes by September 2022, and report to Parliament on progress.

ohanzee

I think it's a bit more, but nothing definite, just a plan:

1. A new duty on Government to produce a statutory plan to reduce discharges from overflows and the harm this causes by September 2022, and report to Parliament on progress.

They don't already have things in place to limit pollution? it looks to me like a way to say they are addressing the problem, when in fact it throws the ball forward to 2022 when they will then either cook the books or throw it again.

shropshire_lad

My local Tory MP has put this out to justify voting against the amendments. There are some valid technical reasons why a ban can't be implemented straight away, but we need more commitment to start long term investment in sorting out the problem.

I agree a ban can't be implemented straight away but going back to the OP Clause 82 read:

Clause 82, will place a “Duty on sewerage undertakers to take all reasonable steps to ensure untreated sewage is not discharged from storm overflows”. This mean Water Companies will not just have to monitor and report, they must act to stop this pollution.

This seems totally reasonable. "Reasonable steps" to me means only using storm overflows when they have to (and are legally allowed to) operate, i.e., infrequently in storms, when sewage will be dilute and likely cause little environmental impact. Most campaigners and pressure groups believe many of these storm overflows are used routinely to manage other issues in the system - that is unacceptable.

I have lost the plot a bit with this as there seem to be several petitions, but Clause 82 seems a no brainer.

Last edited:

Elwyman

They don't already have things in place to limit pollution? it looks to me like a way to say they are addressing the problem, when in fact it throws the ball forward to 2022 when they will then either cook the books or throw it again.
Given the strength of feeling from anglers, swimmers, canoeists etc, I doubt they will have any latitude to keep kicking the can down the road again.

exile

But don't dare question your MP or you will be accused of 'spreading hatred '.

shropshire_lad

But don't dare question your MP or you will be accused of 'spreading hatred '.

What an *****! First time I have seen the shortage of chemicals being cited. So Brexit is killing our rivers in more ways than one :(

exile

shropshire_lad

If you want to see how your MP voted :-
No surprises there :(

wrongfoot

Public perception does matter to the water companies but not as much as the bottom line.

They also have significant lobbying power.
However some of them (4 I think) took OFWAT to court last year in order to overturn OFWAT's refusal to allow them to spend on environmental improvement. My local (Northumbrian Water Limited) was one of these. Some part of their business thought that important, as well as their bottom line. NWL aren't saints, but they should get some credit where credit's due...

Room for improvement, but I'm glad I don't live where the worst Water Co's operate...

Whinging pom

feargal sharkey , the last person I thought would be an erudite and credible figurehead was refreshingly affective under questions on the radio 4 today programme today. In his few precious moments he nailed plenty of bullet points and put forward a compelling argument. Well done that man !
——
Still waiting for Mr Tom Pursglove MP who still hasn’t replied to my requests Re our recent pollution event by Anglian water or how he was voting on the bill beyond acknowledging receipt of the correspondence.
Not so well done that man. ( Yep… probably doesn’t give a sh*t!)

Vintage Badger

I think I'm going to send my local MP an email to ask him why he voted to allow the discharge of untreated sewage into rivers. He happens to be a practicing medical doctor too, so I imagine his justification for the way he voted may be interesting. I'll keep you posted if I write and get a reply.

I'm thinking along the lines of reminding him that the dumping untreated sewage into the River Thames was a very popular practice around the time of frequent and serious cholera outbreaks in London, and asking how he came to the conclusion that this practice was now acceptable?

shropshire_lad

My MP is a well known, long-standing, safe seat Tory so any communication is a total waste of time. I did write to him about the Cummings affair and got an obviously standard reply justifying his behaviour. Of course, now Cummings is out and so is the truth but the odd thing is I knew it at the time but somehow my MP, who should have been better informed, did not. Funny that?

The truth is the majority tow the line and do what they are told. Water UK which represents the water companies and the companies themselves will undoubtedly have had a word in the ear of those in power.

shropshire_lad

More disgusting actions captured on film from possibly the worst offender at this moment in time and unbelievably a Tory MP prepared to actually put his constituents' concerns above the party! :eek:

kerryjordan

The Secretary of State for the Environment, Food and Rural Affairs, George Eustice, and his deputy, Jo Churchill, both voted against the proposal to reduce sewage pollution in storm outflows.
Other news - Wayne Couzens appointed Metropolitan Police Commissioner….

Latest posts