40th FIPS Mouche WORLD FLY FISHING CHAMPIONSHIP 2020 - FINLAND 12 - 16 August 2021

zulu fly

TEAM RESULTS

Gold
- FINLAND 80 Placing 420 Fish
Silver - FRANCE 127 Placings 294 Fish
Bronze - SPAIN 141 Placings 304 Fish

INDIVIDUAL RESULTS

Gold - HEIKKI KURTTI - Finland
8 Placings 83 Fish
Silver - JARI HEIKKINEN - Finland 13 Placings 93 Fish
Bronze - David Arcay - Spain 15 Placings 96 Fish

AT Team ENGLAND - 8th o/a
Harry Fox
22nd
Howard Croston 28th
Terry Phillips 31st
Scott Nellins 37th
Davey Parker 59th

Congratulations to one and all including the Organizing Team

Euros Jones

Last edited:

pati

There may have been a bit of a home advantage as 4 of the top 5 anglers came from Finland. The 5th Fin really let the side down by coming 15th out of a field of 70.
Or was the home advantage the use of a controversial tactic (gravel shuffling)???

zulu fly

To Original Cormorant I would say that Mr Jyrki Hiltunen did not let his Team down at all but contributed to their win. The computer does the draw for the individual anglers 5 NoBeats and you could be unlucky by landing up with 5 poor Beats in relation to the other Beats - that is the way it can go!

To Pati I would say home advantage is a major factor but there is huge pressure on the Home Nations Team to perform and hope the computer draw for the better Beats is in their favour. To suggest controversial tactics were employed is horrible!! Every competitor relies on the Beat Controler's integrity that he treats all individual anglers on his Beat the same throught the Championship according to the FIPS -Mouche Rules.

Euros Jones

Last edited:

pati

To Original Cormorant I would say that Mr Jyrki Hiltunen did not let his Team down at all but contributed to their win. The computer does the draw for the individual anglers 5 NoBeats and you could be unlucky by landing up with 5 poor Beats in relation to the other Beats - that is the way it can go!

To Pati I would say home advantage is a major factor but there is huge pressure on the Home Nations Team to perform and hope the computer draw for the better Beats is in their favour. To suggest controversial tactics were employed is horrible!! Every competitor relies on the Beat Controler's integrity that he treats all individual anglers on his Beat the same throught the Championship according to the FIPS -Mouche Rules.

Euros Jones

not suggesting, asking following hearing lots of rumours/questions…
In my mind there is no cheating here: if something is allowed for one team it is allowed for all. However the fact that it is allowed is what is controversial in my view: shuffling to me equals baiting a swim and therefore should not be allowed!!!

pati

All those regulations and they allow shuffling?
Well that’s my question as I have read on other forums that the “technique” was used by some of the competitors in the Fins team.
I don’t know much about these competitions but I know there are “referees”/judges following each competitor so I infer from that that the shuffling technique is allowed, which I find very controversial…

original cormorant

sagecirca

I have fished 3 major championships and over the course of these have seen or heard cheating in several forms from paying controllers in poorer countries to add fish to a card, to counting undersize fish, allowing anglers to fish way out with their beat and believable stories of stocking beats the night before the home angler is due on it with the aid of rigged draws.

Out of all those, shuffling is the least worst thing I have personally witnessed. It does go on and most if not all the top rods from the top countries do it. I seen this in Bosnia 2015 and Poland 2016.

Scotty Mitchell

I have fished 3 major championships and over the course of these have seen or heard cheating in several forms from paying controllers in poorer countries to add fish to a card, to counting undersize fish, allowing anglers to fish way out with their beat and believable stories of stocking beats the night before the home angler is due on it with the aid of rigged draws.

Out of all those, shuffling is the least worst thing I have personally witnessed. It does go on and most if not all the top rods from the top countries do it. I seen this in Bosnia 2015 and Poland 2016.
What’s the benefit though? Is it not the next angler or the angler downstream that benefits more?
I’m probably missing something here so forgive my ignorance.

sagecirca

What’s the benefit though? Is it not the next angler or the angler downstream that benefits more?
I’m probably missing something here so forgive my ignorance.

You'd fish over the area that you shuffled with your feet - if done correctly, it can excite grayling in to a sort of feeding frenzy. Incredibly effective and fortunately, very easy to see when it has been done in a clear river but then you need to controllers and Fips Mouche supervisors to be strict in enforcing it and they haven't done in my experience.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
You'd fish over the area that you shuffled with your feet - if done correctly, it can excite grayling in to a sort of feeding frenzy. Incredibly effective and fortunately, very easy to see when it has been done in a clear river but then you need to controllers and Fips Mouche supervisors to be strict in enforcing it and they haven't done in my experience.
It is a very effective method, however, if is allowed in fips mouche rules, then well done to the winners for employing said method.
Bit of a handicap to others whom did not do same!

LDO

Shuffling used to be rife on one of my local rivers which led to the banning of chest waders for trout fishing, which is very limiting. It is very destructive to the river bed, especially in areas where fish have been spawning.

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Shuffling used to be rife on one of my local rivers which led to the banning of chest waders for trout fishing, which is very limiting. It is very destructive to the river bed, especially in areas where fish have been spawning.
Is very destructive to spawning redds in winter time/early spring, in Scotland, shuffling method was mainly used by grayling fishers in winter months.
Nowadays is common for a "no wading" rule on winter grayling permits, to prevent said shuffling. Cant see why chest wader ban for trout is beneficial, as could "shuffle" in a pair of wellies!

Latest posts