5wt fly rod

sachagreen

Hi all

Snapped my old greys grxi+ this summer (9ft 5wt) and am looking at getting a new rod of same length and weight.

Looking for recommendations, I fish a medium sized river, small still waters and reservoirs. I currently have a 3 and 7wt but would like another mid range rod. Budget £200-250

In addition, I was advised in John Norris that the guideline elevation was an excellent rod for the money and was wondering if anyone had experience with it?

Many thanks

Sacha

sage5

Hi all

Snapped my old greys grxi+ this summer (9ft 5wt) and am looking at getting a new rod of same length and weight.

Looking for recommendations, I fish a medium sized river, small still waters and reservoirs. I currently have a 3 and 7wt but would like another mid range rod. Budget £200-250

In addition, I was advised in John Norris that the guideline elevation was an excellent rod for the money and was wondering if anyone had experience with it?

Many thanks

Sacha
Vision Onki are excellent rods I have one , hope you get what suits you

Duncan

Gdog

Hi all

Many thanks

Sacha
Check out the Greys GR60.

keef68

I have a Guideline Elevation in 9’ 5wt. I’d say it’s a brilliant rod for the money. It’s incredibly light (lighter than most top end rods), but can throw a full line, and has great feel when connected to a fish.

There are a few options in that price range, as someone else has said the Vision Onki gets a good name, although personally I’ve never tried one.

Cheers

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul_B

Hi all

Many thanks

Sacha

Check out the warranty with Greys, if you registered the rod when you bought it you may get a rod half price, Its worth a try.

running bear

Gr60 or Orvis clearwater, good rods for the money. I haven't tried the Vision or the guideline to compare.

Second hand, possibly a Demon sintrix if you can find someone parting with one. A step above imho.

Waltyluft

I have a Guideline Elevation in 9’ 5wt. I’d say it’s a brilliant rod for the money. It’s incredibly light (lighter than most top end rods), but can throw a full line, and has great feel when connected to a fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'd agree with the above. I have several 9' #5 and often come back to the Guideline Elevation in preference to other, higher spec, 5 weights.

fishing hobo

Find a nearly new Guideline LPXe. I have the previous generation #5 and it is a great rod. I am sure the current version will be as good, I have the #6 and is my favourite #6.

pati

I have a Loop Cross SX 9’ 5wt in the classifieds. I doubt you can find better for the money. The SX boxes in Asquith, NRX+, Igniter/Method category easily.

Georges Anderson from Yellowstone loved the rod, you can still find his review online, there is somewhere an interview where he says that had the rod arrived on time gor the shootout it would probably have just about edged the then winner (Sky)…

Only selling for I have too many 5wt and never really use them (I use mostly 3&4wt or 6-7wt) and moving abroad soon…

clag

Hi all

Many thanks

Sacha
If you can find one on ebay, a second hand Sage SLT 9 #5 would be just in your budget and I doubt you’d find a better wand for what you you are proposing to use it for.

Regards

CLaG

JohnH

+1 from me for the Guideline Elevation. My own was bought for heavier work on reservoirs than the guys who have posted above, but I am very impressed by its action, build quality and ability to throw a long, straight line.

Latest posts