6 Nations , Gateway to the trout season

diawl bach

Kicking off with Wales v Italy at 2:15 today, by the time we've won the grand slam the trout season will have opened :D

Looking forward to seeing how we perform with a new coach and new players. Some entertaining weekends coming up, best of luck to all.

Mr Notherone

Yes, four of the six teams with new coaches and plenty of change. Could be quite an open tournament. Looking forward to it.

delray

Championship to be won on points difference, if that's how it works.
Today, I hope Italy are competitive, but I doubt it. Ireland/Scotland could be a cracker, hoping for good running conditions.
France to take advantage of playing at home, and kick on to be Champions on points difference (they can't carry on under performing).
Not quite as excited as usual, but I'm sure it'll happen.

Mr Notherone

Not like you Del, writing your team off before the first whistle :D

Seriously though, won't be easy first up away to France with new coaches. Form says England and if they win they could really kick on.

boisker

Not like you Del, writing your team off before the first whistle :D

Seriously though, won't be easy first up away to France with new coaches. Form says England and if they win they could really kick on.

Del is always relentlessly worried and predicting an England loss... it’s the original English psyche:D:D:D

Wales game will be quite dull... Wales to win easily..
Ireland to beat a feisty Scotland (they’ve had a disrupted run in, which will either mean they play out of their skin or are awful)... it will be interesting to see what influence Farrell senior has over the course of the 6 nations..
England... very tight, not sure what’s going on at No.8... but I think after the WC final loss and all the Sarries fall out they will be well up for it... England to sneak it
I could easily be wrong on all but the Wales game:D

boisker

Yes - could be an easy win and exciting :D

Tis always in the eye of the beholder:D
if it’s your team a predictable win is still enjoyable, but for a ‘neutral’.... one sided games are ‘dull’... Wales were always going to be way too strong for Italy... I’ve watched the 1st half, but will give the 2nd a swerve and come back to see Ireland win:D

delray

I always expect the worse, I really cannot help myself.

Matt, bang on re the 2 games; Italy just cannot compete, but often do in games 1 and 2. I fear for them.
Jon, I didn't enjoy the game mainly because it confirmed Tompkins leaving Saracens and England (I think he has to in order to represent Wales). He'll go far.

Ireland/Scotland I've only just caught up on; blimey, it was physical. Hogg won't sleep well tonight and i did find his premature celebration a little nauseous; he knew what had happened and was never going to get away with it.

Scotland today were, and are going to be, very tough to crack; they just need to cut down on penalties/errors.....that's all..

Chat tomorrow, unless I'm sulking.

boisker

Ooops................

That first half was unbelievably bad by England... great defence by France but England made so many basic mistakes...
You couldn’t drop a player, you’d need to drop the team as they were all at it:D
Next week could be telling..
Be interesting to see if they can put a proper game together.

And.... it would be great if someone could mention to Jones.... Curry and Underhill have been the standout 6 & 7 in world rugby last season... why move Curry to 8, a position that he’s not as suited for??
Strange decision...

Mr Notherone

Yes, France were good and England weren't. Agree, not sure what Jones was up to. The back row were collectively thumped - he should have played a genuine 8 and kept Lawes at Lock. Curry is a great player, but not an 8. Unfortunate to lose Tuilagi early on, but that's rugby. It's a good job May was playing. I have thought for a while that Youngs is no where near the best 9 in England and he showed it again today. Will be interesting to see the team for next week.

I expect a bit of a bounce back next week at Scotlands expense. The result also adds a bit to the Irish/Welsh game too. There is usually a slam after a world cup - not sure about this year though.

BobP

I don't think I've ever seen England play so poorly as that. We could, and should, have won that. I think we got within a metre or so of the France line at least four times in the 1st half alone and spilled the ball every time. It was embarassing.

Poor decision making as well. In the second half we were again (!) up to their try line and were battering away the the left where just about every French player was waiting. There was virtually no-one off to the right and England just didn't see it. If England are going to try that sort of malarkey they need a few more Exeter player up front because they know how to score tries in that sort of tight close quarters caper.

boisker

Yes, France were good and England weren't. Agree, not sure what Jones was up to. The back row were collectively thumped - he should have played a genuine 8 and kept Lawes at Lock. Curry is a great player, but not an 8. Unfortunate to lose Tuilagi early on, but that's rugby. It's a good job May was playing. I have thought for a while that Youngs is no where near the best 9 in England and he showed it again today. Will be interesting to see the team for next week.

I expect a bit of a bounce back next week at Scotlands expense. The result also adds a bit to the Irish/Welsh game too. There is usually a slam after a world cup - not sure about this year though.

Great individual tries by May in the 2nd half, but it sill doesn’t excuse him waving the 9 through instead of playing to the whistle in the 1 st half... he owed us 7 points..
Johnson’s comment at half time amused me...
Inverdale- “... always play to the whistle..”
Johnson- “... even if he heard a whistle he still should have hit him..” :D:D
Fair play to France they played well and deserved to win, hard to tell how well they played with England so poor for the first 40...

Onwards and upwards....:D

anzac

England's ball handling, especially, cost potential tries time and again. That's not something you'd expect from a side that is known for it's skillful and disciplined play.

Mies

Ireland were underwhelming to say the least. Might have been a different result but for Hogg's showboating. Hope he got a right good *******ing from Townsend. We'll need to improve vastly to get a result against Wales.
As a Munster man, I'm loath to say it but Murray has become slow and predictable. This box-kicking lark has had it's day. I'd like to see Cooney get a start next week but I somehow doubt it's going to happen. Same old, unfortunately :eek:hno:

delray

Sulk over.....nearly.
Yep, time for Cooney to take over, but played 1 won 1.

England unfortunately lose Tuilagi and end up with a passing back line on a very wet mild day which was forecast from Thursday. Farrell is not a ball carrier, nor is Joseph, so nothing to worry the French there. They select a young full back to debut in Paris. What? As above, we move a 6 to 8 and we don't have an 8 in the squad. Again, what?
Youngs misses a tackle on Rattez, (but a lot of people do) who scores and France slightly fortunate for their 2 nd try. Loads of basic errors and yet, we were still in it in the last 10 minutes. In the end, something like 70pct possession for 17 points.
England didn't deserve anything more than they got and without May, could have been a fat zero.

Whenever Jones gets pressured re selection, he sticks to his guns so I don't expect a bounce back; we'll be slaughtered in the back row again as i believe it's now too late to draft in Harrison/Simmonds/Dombrandt, and he'll end up with 2 6's and a 7 on the park, all good carriers for their size, but not like a good 8.

Yep, I'm sure over my sulk.

boisker

Sulk over.....nearly.
Yep, time for Cooney to take over, but played 1 won 1.

England unfortunately lose Tuilagi and end up with a passing back line on a very wet mild day which was forecast from Thursday. Farrell is not a ball carrier, nor is Joseph, so nothing to worry the French there. They select a young full back to debut in Paris. What? As above, we move a 6 to 8 and we don't have an 8 in the squad. Again, what?
Youngs misses a tackle on Rattez, (but a lot of people do) who scores and France slightly fortunate for their 2 nd try. Loads of basic errors and yet, we were still in it in the last 10 minutes. In the end, something like 70pct possession for 17 points.
England didn't deserve anything more than they got and without May, could have been a fat zero.

Whenever Jones gets pressured re selection, he sticks to his guns so I don't expect a bounce back; we'll be slaughtered in the back row again as i believe it's now too late to draft in Harrison/Simmonds/Dombrandt, and he'll end up with 2 6's and a 7 on the park, all good carriers for their size, but not like a good 8.

Yep, I'm sure over my sulk.

Nice summary Del...
I would also like to add my Nan is more secure under a high ball than Daly:D

Latest posts