6 Nations , Gateway to the trout season

delray

Blimey Eddie Jones must have read somewhere that there's no way J Joseph should start on the wing and that C Lawes should start on the flank, cos that's what he's selected. Furbank who froze in Paris and did OK in awful conditions in Scotland is not even in the squad, and yet Slade who hasn't played at all since December is on the bench.

He certainly does things his way.

England and Wales to edge it, Scotland comfortable winners against a revived Italy.

diawl bach

Fingers crossed, it's going to be close even with a home advantage.Somewhat rattled after the Ireland match but Wales always keep you guessing.

delray

Anybody get to watch England/Ireland Under 20's? Wonderful game won by a brilliant side that will win the Grand Slam I'm sure and be a force in the Under 20 World Cup this year. The losing side made something like 220 tackles; it was brutal but extremely skilful too. Well worth a watch if you can find it.

Gdog

Anybody get to watch England/Ireland Under 20's? Wonderful game won by a brilliant side that will win the Grand Slam I'm sure and be a force in the Under 20 World Cup this year. The losing side made something like 220 tackles; it was brutal but extremely skilful too. Well worth a watch if you can find it.
Yes, I was watching this game, although switching back and forth between Ospreys V Leinster, so I missed a couple of scores. I should have stuck with the U20s game as the skill level was much higher, OK there was a storm blowing in The Knoll, and for a long time I thought Leinster were going to lose their first game of the season. I should have recorded it instead.
Ireland U20s looking good, they scored some good tries but most were scored by the pack picking and driving in England 22 the replacement outside centre scored a very good try. Hopefully the Ireland U20s are luckier with injuries than at last years World Cup.

Gdog

Wales V France is exciting from a neutrals point of view, France have certainly come to play.

mrnotherone

Exciting for a neutral maybe, but crap if you're Welsh. The score flattered us - we were out muscled, out thought, out kicked and out played. Rubbish defence and too many errors. After three games I don't see what Tompkins brings, he's not good enough, can't pass, can't tackle. Far from looking an experienced team we look like an old tired one.

Gdog

This is the best French team in a decade, they've finally got their stuff together, Galthie and Shaun Edwards have made a massive difference in their approach and defence. France are favourites for the Grand Slam, I'm not looking forward to Ireland's visit to Paris next month. Paris in the spring time, hopefully not like the 80s or 90s watching from behind the sofa 😪

Mies

This is the best French team in a decade, they've finally got their stuff together, Galthie and Shaun Edwards have made a massive difference in their approach and defence. France are favourites for the Grand Slam, I'm not looking forward to Ireland's visit to Paris next month. Paris in the spring time, hopefully not like the 80s or 90s watching from behind the sofa 😪
Indeed. Hopefully we can get out of Twickenham without any serious casualties. I won't hold my breath :oops:

delray

Another neutral perspective; what a match! Best game of the Championship by far and if this French team is pretty decent (we weren't sure 2 weeks ago v Italy), Wales aren't bad at all.

Jon, I'd have Tompkins back in a moment, but I take your point.

Now then, the reffing team of Carlie (Cardie?, not sure), Dixon, Barnes and whoever was in the van, routinely, in the English Premiership, adjudicate the loose arm in the tackle, swinging round and knocking the ball on as a penalty, at least. From that point, another judgement has to be made and I believe that is; "would a try probably have been scored?". In this case, yes. probably. From this point, it's a penalty try and a yellow card. But we never got the first judgement as a penalty.
Yep, only one factor in a brilliant game, but a big one.

Peeing down here and very gusty winds but clearing a bit later; Twickenham will be slippery at best so I'm not expecting too many tries.
I feel a little sorry for Daly already.

diawl bach

An exciting second half but a terrible performance from Wales over all, why they didn't pass wide rather than keep trying to drive the ball over the line is beyond me, it obs didn't work. Two occasions with France down a man not capitalised on, a couple of game changing bad passes along with surrendering pointless penalties made for a badly disciplined game which blew our chances in the tournament. France were very good but the refs were not up to the match, a penalty try would've made a huge difference. Not looking forward to the visit to Twickenham.

mrnotherone

I think it will be a battle of attrition today and can't call it. Home advantage might count but if Ireland get a good start who knows.....three players out of position? Should be a spectacle if not entertaining.

Now I've calmed down a bit, if Wales had snatched a victory yesterday they would still have been the second best team. I know it's very early days but I'm worried that this coaching team is way too inexperienced at this level. The last time we took a successful coach from the Scarlets and gave him the top job it was a disaster.

boisker

I was surprised how passive Wales were in the 1st half... seemed to have lost the bite that an Edwards defence gave them and still haven’t clicked into the new coaching teams supposed more attacking aims... it’s early days though to assess a change in playing style.
shame the weather is going to be poor again today... and still can’t understand where Jones is heading with current selections... we’ve got plenty of No. 8’s and wingers to choose from without playing people out of position...

... and I agree with Del.... gawd help us with Daly once the Irish started peppering him with high balls, perhaps they’ll let him use a basket to catch the ball with😂

sewinbasher

I was surprised how passive Wales were in the 1st half... seemed to have lost the bite that an Edwards defence gave them and still haven’t clicked into the new coaching teams supposed more attacking aims... it’s early days though to assess a change in playing style.
shame the weather is going to be poor again today... and still can’t understand where Jones is heading with current selections... we’ve got plenty of No. 8’s and wingers to choose from without playing people out of position...

... and I agree with Del.... gawd help us with Daly once the Irish started peppering him with high balls, perhaps they’ll let him use a basket to catch the ball with😂
I generally agree with you re Wales. There's a clear change in styles with Pivac in charge. Wales are playing a more expansive game now, we all love to win and Gatland made Wales a winning team exceeding the sum of its parts and must be respected for that but in many cases it was about defence at the expense of attack. Clearly defence has weakened a bit but we are attacking more. If I had paid £50 to watch yesterday I have felt that I got pretty good value in terms of entertainment in a game that Wales could easily have won and that wasn't always the case watching Gatland's Wales.

mrnotherone

When England get it right they are a good team - brilliant defensive performance today. Ireland were very very poor though, reminded me of how they didn't turn up in Cardiff last year. Strange to see an Irish team beaten up so badly. Shockers from Sexton and Murray. Still not convinced by the Jones selection as Ireland didn't test it. One of the most one sided games for a while.

PS: Owen Farrell is a hard bloke to like though isn't he.....one of those smirks that you'd love to wipe off

Last edited: