6 Nations , Gateway to the trout season

boisker

Might be cos English players like to play in a competitive national set up, culminating in the best international championship in the world, or that the Boks or AB's dont actually sign up players?

I guess you don’t watch much Super Rugby....

tcredroe

1. Why no penalty try to France with the off the ball tackle in the ball chase at the line just after half time ?
2. Why was the ball not put out by France when the clock was red and the score 23 to 20 ?
Life is full of mysteries and surprises !!!
1. Penalty- advantage- try scored - advantage achieved - end of. But two points may have helped with the conversion missed.
2. Panic and obsessed with the score needed.

bobfly2

1. Because Penaud just managed the touch down. As you say, 2 points down from the penalty try.
2. Panic .. panic .. his face at the end though !!!!

bobfly2

I was thinking of the dressing room too. Lost the game and this year's championship ... popular guy for sure.

LukeNZ

You'd think the 'true' All Black team should 100% Maori.

Ah, a can of worms that one.

In NZ we are all immigrants, the most recent immigrants (Pakeha, like me) do not embrace race discrimination in the selection of teams. However, the earlier immigrants (Maori) do embrace selections of all sorts of things based on culture and race, hence the Maori All Blacks (formerly the New Zealand Maori team).. And we all think that makes NZ’s culture richer, in reality. So it is an anomaly rather than a beef.

The first record of people’s in NZ are thought to be Chinese. But a race called the Moriori settled in NZ first, from Polynesia. The Moriori were then later displaced to outer islands when what we/they called themselves Maori (after an early leader come god Maui) arrived many centuries later.

There are still descendants of the Moriori people alive around the world today. Maori killed most of the Moriori and enslaved many, but ultimately only escapees to other islands survived.

After many skirmishes with European powers whom discovered NZ shores - French, Dutch and with the fear of retribution by them for cannibalism etc,. and also potentially the risk of the Spanish also venturing here... Maori formed a partnership with the British Crown, who could provide protection. Those protections came in return for sovereignty and governance and giving the right of equality to all. As signed by all Maori chiefs at the time, giving us our founding document - The Treaty of Waitangi.

Maori probably realised that the French, Dutch or Spanish might inflict genocide, as occurred in Tasmania etc,..

Today, there are few Maori in relative terms around 16.5% of the population identify as Maori and there are not truly any 100% full blood. Though today you only have to identify with, or be adopted by that culture to be Maori.

There are a great many political splits around this essentially, race issue, but it is largely an academic and legalistic maze that has monetary benefit always at the root.

🙃

delray

Thanks Luke.
Many many years ago my missus and me took 3 months off work and bought a round the world air travel ticket (still scarcely scratched the surface) and NZ was the one and only place we thought of applying to stay......hindsight eh? We visited Waitingi too, and it says a lot about Imperialism when the Brits were possibly preferred over those nasty EU folk ;)....rock and a hard place comes to mind.

Latest posts