6 Nations , Gateway to the trout season

JRT

The game was won in the 1st half with a brilliant powerful display. We won all the collisions, breakdowns and kicking. But a scrappy 2nd half giving away silly penalties and being too impatient when playing in their 22.

France look good for the grand slam - good on them. They are playing some good rugby and they a due a good tournament.

PaulD

I don't think that Ireland were disappointing, I think England, for the majority of the game , played well. It was an attritional game, there wasn't a lot to chose between the sides but England were more disciplined and were able to turn opportunity into points. Good game.

anzac

Mind you, I barrack for Ireland, and I'll be the first to admit they didn't play well and England did. England's play more disciplined and determined. The first half was telling on that point.

delray

Just home from the game; strange quiet atmosphere in the ground; I think it's Sunday fixtures, don't like 'em.
Wasn't much to report on, it's all been said above apart from why on Earth didn't Sexton/Murray (they were both way off the pace) put pressure on a 15 who is very uneasy under the high ball? It looked perfect conditions out there, but the wind was tricky and the surface slippy. Ah well.
Anyway, well done England, Scotland and France, all good winners this weekend.

p.s Lawes; I always said he's a good 6...

JRT

I'm looking forward to the Wales game. Especially seeing Biggar getting all ancy when England get in his face :)

diawl bach

Having lost two games Wales can take a few risks without throwing away a title while England have the triple crown in their sights..... hoping we'll pull our fingers out for this one.

delray

Is Biggar fit? Didn't look too good after the N'ton/Saracens game. May have a ticket for this one too; not sure yet.

4.45 pm kick off so plenty of beer time for the fans and no hurry home after, so hopefully a better atmosphere this week.

Scotland to finally make one stick and beat France by 3.
England to scrape home by 5.

edit; just read on BBC, Italy/England, last game, to be played behind closed doors. Just a sec. It's rugby, Rome is an important part of the diary (while they are in the 6N), just postpone it.

PaulD

I believe Wales are hopeful that Biggar will be able to play. Although it looked bad last weekend, he hasn't needed a scan and I think he will play.

Scotland to beat France? I think there's more chance of the Seine freezing over!

PaulD

"Getting stuck into people physically is my bread and butter so I'll definitely be trying to do that from the start," said Moriarty. (BBC)

He'll need to, he's been a bit of a poor performer thus far.

mrnotherone

"Getting stuck into people physically is my bread and butter so I'll definitely be trying to do that from the start," said Moriarty. (BBC)

He'll need to, he's been a bit of a poor performer thus far.
Agreed. The Welsh pack has been pushed around and bettered by Ireland and France and will most probably suffer the same fate on Saturday. Of course, England might choke, Farrell throws a tantrum and we score more points........but I'm not holding much hope. :)

PaulD

I did wonder if Mr Moriarty had watched a rerun of the 1980 England v Wales and had ambitions of emulating the efforts of Paul Ringer!

I played in the Midlands at the same time Ringer was at Leicester. On our way back from playing at Worcester we stopped at a pub in No Mans Heath. Leicester who had been away at Bath also stopped at the same pub. It was a nice pub . . . there was a club and a short sword behind the bar, next to the sign which said, 'Don't argue with bar staff!' Anyway, some of us were admiring the fish tank when we were joined by Ringer who said he liked the look of the largest fish . . . put his hand in the tank and promptly ate it! He was a bit of a character.

mrnotherone

I'm sure he was. It's a shame he will forever be remembered for such notoriety. In that match the ref could have sent off 3 or 4 from both sides for far worse offences. Ringer was probably the least guilty, but suffered from a case of very bad timing - and in full view.

delray

England with Farrell and Jones running the 'show' choke? Where did you get that idea?
As far as throwing tantrums (tantrae?) go, there is no better exponent than Biggar. I don't like seeing it, but carry on, he rarely gets the ref on side.
Hope the pitch is in good nick for the weekend. Wales with nout to lose, England still sniffing a chance of the Championship, could be a great game. Hope so.

boisker

I never like Wales turning up to Twickenham with everyone saying they aren't playing well and writing them off... sounds like a recipe for disaster....

it's catching... I sound like Del😂

sewinbasher

England with Farrell and Jones running the 'show' choke? Where did you get that idea?
As far as throwing tantrums (tantrae?) go, there is no better exponent than Biggar. I don't like seeing it, but carry on, he rarely gets the ref on side.
Hope the pitch is in good nick for the weekend. Wales with nout to lose, England still sniffing a chance of the Championship, could be a great game. Hope so.
Biggar is going to get into trouble chopsing at the ref, OK for the captain to ask the questions but no-one else should be getting involved. I also think that it won't be too long before Biggar and North are forced to retire as they're both getting too many concussion events.

It's got the makings of a good game, Wales have nothing to lose and will want to play rugby, England with a sniff of the championship and possibly nervy.

PaulD

There does seem to be a developing trend of players 'expressing' their opinion toward the referee. The game seems to be slippin towards 'refereeing by committee' where all parties to the game believe they have an equal voice. Personally, I would rather we returned to the time when the 'voice' was the referee's,if he couldn't see it, it wasn't given . . . end of.

Biggar is still playing very well at Northampton, but North was a shadow of his former self by the time he returned to Wales.

I'm looking forward to Saturday and it will be a challenging game. However, England appear to be improving in contrast to Wales who started the campaign brightly but seem to be struggling to get a plan together.