8'6" #3 blank - any ideas

Rhithrogena

Still trying, online, will call round during office hours, but the hacksaw and a 9' give loads of options.
With the caveat that trimming the butt might make the blank stiffer, so more like a 4wt...
A 9' 2wt trimmed could work well as a 3wt depending what you are doing with it but fewer options out there...

bonito

You could try BFC in Bulgaria. I`ve bought lots of blanks off them, good quality and easy to deal with. If you don`t see it on their site e mail them, they reply quick in English.

ROVER

With the caveat that trimming the butt might make the blank stiffer, so more like a 4wt...
A 9' 2wt trimmed could work well as a 3wt depending what you are doing with it but fewer options out there...
Don't cut a longer blank down, it could go up a couple of weights at worst and you wont know how its it going to be affected until you've hacked at it!

Rhithrogena

Don't cut a longer blank down, it could go up a couple of weights at worst and you wont know how its it going to be affected until you've hacked at it!
It is possible, and is often done. Not so commonly with fly rods maybe, but common in the States with freshwater spinning rods. Consensus seems to be cutting the tip makes it faster, cutting the butt slower. I doubt cutting 6" off a 9' 2wt would make it a 4wt but we are only talking a casting weight difference of a few grammes so you may be right.
In any case you could tape some rings on and hold it where the grip would be on the shortened rod and test it.
I can only imagine doing this is I had a longer rod laying around that I had no use for but DID have a use for a shorter one 😉

squimp

Mick Bell does or did do an 8ft 3wt.

Ive got one that I have never used if you can’t find an 8ft 6”.

Prolifichare

Is yours the 3 piece? I know it's not a 8'6" but I'm absolutely loving the 8' 3wt that I've just built from Mick Bell. It's very light and delicate, medium action perfect dry fly rod.
Mick Bell does or did do an 8ft 3wt.

Ive got one that I have never used if you can’t find an 8ft 6”.

Latest posts