9f 5w - Sage One, Sage X, Orvis Helios 3D

the optimist

As this post is over a year old I wondered what rod peeping caddis bought in the end - the options you were looking at are in my list as well

Reactions: JCP

JCP

4X4 fly rod ? Great allrounder ? you need to buy a Loop or talk to Steve Parks of Atom Six who will let you try the rod.I have some sweet 5wts including Loomis/Sage/Orvis but my goto 5wt street fighters are a Loop and an Atom Six.Not latest weaves mind but would not swop them.

JP

the optimist

I hear a lot of good things about the Atom six. Big problem at the present is buying blind. I would normally go to the game fair and try a few out before buying. So now I am buying blind based on recommendations, reviews and reputation. I would love to try out an atom six but it’s a bit risky to buy blind as they are not “cheap” rods. Buying a sage or orvis or Scott is less risky hey ho - first world problems in lockdown!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sean freeman

I’ve tried most brands but my favourite 9’ #5 is my Stickman P5 these days. It’s a proper fishing rod, loads of feel and plenty of reserve power. Has me thinking of changing out my lineup for Stickmans I like it that much.

pati

If you want the best of today’s market you d probably have to pick between the Scott Radian (wait a couple of month as the successor to the Radian is expected to be released in September so Radian should get discounted), Loomis Asquith, Stickman P5.

If you want the best of all times, I have a 9’ 5wt Redington NTi (Nanotitanium) for sale in the classifieds (and a few more at home!)

@Rob Edmunds : you seem to love those GLX Classic (and rightly so!). Have you ever tried NTi? To me NTi are the only rods to date that have surpassed the GLX Classic (2 sections one, the 4 sections GLX were nowhere near as good)

JCP

If you want the best of today’s market you d probably have to pick between the Scott Radian (wait a couple of month as the successor to the Radian is expected to be released in September so Radian should get discounted), Loomis Asquith, Stickman P5.

If you want the best of all times, I have a 9’ 5wt Redington NTi (Nanotitanium) for sale in the classifieds (and a few more at home!)

@Rob Edmunds : you seem to love those GLX Classic (and rightly so!). Have you ever tried NTi? To me NTi are the only rods to date that have surpassed the GLX Classic (2 sections one, the 4 sections GLX were nowhere near as good)
Have a couple of 2 piece Loomis GLX 1207's 7wt came from Pitsford Pirate and 5wt from Ireland.Guess these are pre Classic ?

JP

JCP

Well and truly had there.Peeping Caddis should have been a give-away but some interesting posts.
Just to mention I bought a 5/6wt Vision Nite Catapult from Rob Edmunds.Rod is a proverbial beast.

JP

Last edited:

the optimist

Well and truly had there.Peeping Caddis should have been a give-away but some interesting posts.
Just to mention I bought a 5/6wt Vision Nite Catapult from Rob Edmunds.Rod is beast.

JP
I’ve missed something on the giveaway !

the optimist

Good hint on the scott Radian from Patti
My friend is dropping one off to try so if I go that route I will wait a bit

Scotty Mitchell

My main loch rod for all methods has been a Sage One 9'#5 for a while now. I can't see me needing to look anywhere else and am very close to getting another. I would probably have an X if I could afford it but I can't.
The recovery and accuracy of this rod blows me away, and apparently the X is just more of the same but better!.
I do a hell of a lot of 20' fishing and can report no defecit at these ranges, and neither does anyone else who actually owns and uses one that I've spoken to, maybe we just grow to adjust and accept?
The rod is fast, don't get me wrong, but it's far from a poker, believe me you can feel it load beautifully.
I got mine for a nice price, but not as nice as what they can be had for now, and I can see why people were happy to spend top whack once they'd cast it.
Get the itch scratched and get a One, or if you can afford it I'd stick my neck out and say go for an X. If you like light, fast actioned rods you can't go wrong.
(I am far from an expert on rods, or casting)

clag

My main loch rod for all methods has been a Sage One 9'#5 for a while now. I can't see me needing to look anywhere else and am very close to getting another. I would probably have an X if I could afford it but I can't.
The recovery and accuracy of this rod blows me away, and apparently the X is just more of the same but better!.
I do a hell of a lot of 20' fishing and can report no defecit at these ranges, and neither does anyone else who actually owns and uses one that I've spoken to, maybe we just grow to adjust and accept?
The rod is fast, don't get me wrong, but it's far from a poker, believe me you can feel it load beautifully.
I got mine for a nice price, but not as nice as what they can be had for now, and I can see why people were happy to spend top whack once they'd cast it.
Get the itch scratched and get a One, or if you can afford it I'd stick my neck out and say go for an X. If you like light, fast actioned rods you can't go wrong.
(I am far from an expert on rods, or casting)
Not quite like for like but I have the Sage One 8.5’ #4. In fact I posted a review of it on here in 2013. 7 years later I still fish with it 10-15 times a year. In the review I make an observation about how different it is to pick up in a shop and to actually fish with which is the point I think you are making. I’ve no idea if there are better rods of that spec avaiable. I cannot see how they could be materially lighter or more accurate/ point and go which would be the only reason to change. I actually thought about buying another one on ebay. Interestingly, so far I’ve never seen one listed in the UK or US - you can draw your own conclussions.

Having now fished with it for a few days I’ll put up my thoughts on the Sage Dart 7.5 #3 - for those in that sort of market to consider.

Regards

CLaG

Scotty Mitchell

Not quite like for like but I have the Sage One 8.5’ #4. In fact I posted a review of it on here in 2013. 7 years later I still fish with it 10-15 times a year. In the review I make an observation about how different it is to pick up in a shop and to actually fish with which is the point I think you are making. I’ve no idea if there are better rods of that spec avaiable. I cannot see how they could be materially lighter or more accurate/ point and go which would be the only reason to change. I actually thought about buying another one on ebay. Interestingly, so far I’ve never seen one listed in the UK or US - you can draw your own conclussions.

Having now fished with it for a few days I’ll put up my thoughts on the Sage Dart 7.5 #3 - for those in that sort of market to consider.

Regards

CLaG
I have a half baked theory that I usually just keep to myself as I really am no casting guru, but I have a hunch that some folk get a rod they know will b fast, and immediately try and over power it, rather than let the rod work to its natural sweet spots. The One is far from the lifeless broom handle some would have you believe 👍

sean freeman

According to a few lads on the yank forum the new Sage Sonic is just a One with a new paint job. The majority of guys who have tried it speak very highly of it.