9ft travel fly rod recomendations

Peeping Caddis

Would not an 8' or 8'6'' 4pc do just as well? better action, lighter, faster, and only 26'' long for the 8'6''

Possibly, but the Orvis is ordered now. Never owned a travel rod and reviews seem to show people love it, and say its impossible to tell it is a 7 piece.

I'd like to give it a cast as soon as it arrives, but i have no line for it yet, and my 6w line would overload it, could be a while before i can get it down the park. For now i will have to make do with the famous at home, wiggle test. That will surely tell me loads lol.

pati

Possibly, but the Orvis is ordered now. Never owned a travel rod and reviews seem to show people love it, and say its impossible to tell it is a 7 piece.

I'd like to give it a cast as soon as it arrives, but i have no line for it yet, and my 6w line would overload it, could be a while before i can get it down the park. For now i will have to make do with the famous at home, wiggle test. That will surely tell me loads lol.

If you are looking for a decent tool to enjoy fishing more often, travel rods will do very well.
Are they the best rod available in the market, probably not, but again they are still excellent fishing tools!

My ex Hardy Angel 2 Smuggler and my Guideline Fario CRS are excellent rods and on par with most 4pieces rods including from big brands.

I also have a cheap “Northern Guide Outfitters” 10’ 6wt 7sections rod. It is absolutely ugly but it does cast a full Orvis Clearwater WF6 in 2 false casts with no effort, set hooks and fight fish very well. Is it the most pleasurable rod to fish, absolutely not, but without that rod I wouldn’t have been able to fish in certain occasions (simply because when backpacking abroad you do not necessarily want to carry around a long tube with a big recognisable brand on it...)

Peeping Caddis

Rods arrived, gave it the at home wiggle test and seems fine :) Not too happy with the tube, it must be 6cm or more longer than the rod, which IMO is very uneccessary. Orvis could easily have reduced the tube length by 3 or 4 cm. I have a couple of hand luggage suitcases, I can only get it into them by laying it diagonally across the suit case, which is not ideal. Had the tube been 3cm shorter, it would fit into both cases OK. I would also say the rod seems rather fragile, I get the impression i will have to apply extra caution to avoid breakage, not during casting but during set up, moving around, laying it down to unhook fish etc.

I am trying to register the warranty on the Orvis site. Does anyone know where I can find the serial number for the rod? It is not on the reel fitting, so it must have been produced in 2019 or earlier. I can't see the serial number anywhere?

For the reel I bought the Orvis Clearwater Large Arbor. I'm happy with the look and feel, and it has a click so all good. I will buy some backing and a peach 444 soon, then take it to the park for a cast. I will offer some feedback once I have field tested the setup.

geo4316

I bought an older model Orvis FF, i was under the impression the warranty isnt valid on the travel rods? Maybe the newer clearwater FF is different

Peeping Caddis

I bought an older model Orvis FF, i was under the impression the warranty isnt valid on the travel rods? Maybe the newer clearwater FF is different
I hope you are wrong, I was going on the info in this thread, one or more people wrote the frequent flyer comes with 25 year manufacturer warranty, it was part of the reason I bought it. I never thought to check this with the supplier pre-purchase, I just ordered via their website. Hopefully it applies to this rod.

anzac

Sharpest of Aberdeen make a nice travel rod. rod, or at least they did.

Rob Edmunds

As long as it's a new rod ( not reconditioned, secondhand or ex demo) it's my understanding that its covered by a 25 year guarantee.

I've had 4 or 5 replacements over the last 30 years....never had an issue with Orvis.....I've never registered a rod on their warranty scheme either ( but I did keep proof of purchase)

If you've any questions just email customer services, or ring them up....again they're always helpful when I've been in touch

See link from Orvis UK Website above....confirming 25 year warranty ( take a screen shot or print out and keep it with your proof of purchase just in case you have an issue in 10 or 15 years and the website has changed)

If your not happy with the rod you can send it back within 14 days of receiving it for a full refund if you made a web purchase ( distance selling)

Last edited:

original cormorant

Rods arrived, gave it the at home wiggle test and seems fine :) Not too happy with the tube, it must be 6cm or more longer than the rod, which IMO is very uneccessary. Orvis could easily have reduced the tube length by 3 or 4 cm. I have a couple of hand luggage suitcases, I can only get it into them by laying it diagonally across the suit case, which is not ideal. Had the tube been 3cm shorter, it would fit into both cases OK. I would also say the rod seems rather fragile, I get the impression i will have to apply extra caution to avoid breakage, not during casting but during set up, moving around, laying it down to unhook fish etc.

When in the early 2000's I bought my pre-clearwater frequent flyer I had an immediate problem with the tube and I suspect they haven't changed the design. If you put the section with stripping guides in the tube with the first stripping guide at the bottom of the tube you may find that you can't get it out as the stripping guide can get caught under the end of fabric dividers. Orvis were very happy to change it (after I'd cut the bottom out of the tube to extract the rod).

I have a big grouse about divided tubes for several reasons - you may not always want to carry the tube (surrounded by clothes in a suitcase, or a sleeping bag in a back pack), for salt water rods the dividers inevitably get salt saturated and can't be washed, with a separate sock and many sections it's far easier to check you have all the sections.
Steve Parton made me a separate sock for my Frequent Flyer (my cheapo Airflo Journeyman came with a separate sock). I recommend getting a separate sock - there are sewing shops on most high streets if your granny doesnt have a sewing machine.

I wouldn't worry about fragility.

Last edited:

Peeping Caddis

As long as it's a new rod ( not reconditioned, secondhand or ex demo) it's my understanding that its covered by a 25 year guarantee.

I've had 4 or 5 replacements over the last 30 years....never had an issue with Orvis.....I've never registered a rod on their warranty scheme either ( but I did keep proof of purchase)

If you've any questions just email customer services, or ring them up....again they're always helpful when I've been in touch

See link from Orvis UK Website above....confirming 25 year warranty ( take a screen shot or print out and keep it with your proof of purchase just in case you have an issue in 10 or 15 years and the website has changed)

If your not happy with the rod you can send it back within 14 days of receiving it for a full refund if you made a web purchase ( distance selling)

OK thanks. I have emailed the shop I bought it from, should get an answer tomorrow. Any issue I will call Orvis directly.

I bought it locally in Poland as I live here now, brand new from FlyHouse. The 14 day return applies here too, but I would only consider using it if the warranty is a measly 1 year, and not 25 years. I will figure this out soon enough.

Peeping Caddis

When in the early 2000's I bought my pre-clearwater frequent flyer I had an immediate problem with the tube and I suspect they haven't changed the design. If you put the section with stripping guides in the tube with the first stripping guide at the bottom of the tube you may find that you can't get it out as the stripping guide can get caught under the end of fabric dividers. Orvis were very happy to change it (after I'd cut the bottom out of the tube to extract the rod).

I have a big grouse about divided tubes for several reasons - you may not always want to carry the tube (surrounded by clothes in a suitcase, or a sleeping bag in a back pack), for salt water rods the dividers inevitably get salt saturated and can't be washed, with a separate sock and many sections it's far easier to check you have all the sections.
Steve Parton made me a separate sock for my Frequent Flyer (my cheapo Airflo Journeyman came with a separate sock). I recommend getting a separate sock - there are sewing shops on most high streets if your granny doesnt have a sewing machine.

I wouldn't worry about fragility.

The rod I received today has a normal tube, with no dividers. Just a cloth bag inside which has 7 individual stitched sections for each part of the rod. It fits the tube nicely, I just hate that the tube is 6 or more cm's longer than the rod itself. There is really no need for so much extra length in the tube, it defeats the purpose of it, and makes it awkward getting it into a standard hand luggage suitcase. Just 3cm shorter and it would fit perfectly to most hand luggage cases. Very stupid from Orvis IMO.

running bear

The original frequent flyer did not have the unconditional guarantee (they came out mid noughties). The Clearwater frequent flyer does have the guarantee, they are the more recent replacement and I think they are at least a few years on the market.

original cormorant

The rod I received today has a normal tube, with no dividers. Just a cloth bag inside which has 7 individual stitched sections for each part of the rod. It fits the tube nicely, I just hate that the tube is 6 or more cm's longer than the rod itself. There is really no need for so much extra length in the tube, it defeats the purpose of it, and makes it awkward getting it into a standard hand luggage suitcase. Just 3cm shorted and it would fit perfectly to most hand luggage cases. Very stupid from Orvis IMO.
Delighted to learn that Orvis have eventually responded to the suggestion I made to them about not using divided tubes - they never thanked me. Tell Orvis the tube should be shorter - post it on the product review on their website, they may eventually change it.

I believe my early 2000's FF has 25 year grntee.

Peeping Caddis

I've just done some proper measurements, the 9f frequent flyer is 42cm, the tube is 50cm, so 8cm longer, or an increase of 19% on the rods length. 8cm might not sound like much, but the whole idea of this rod is to keep its length to a minimum, so why make the tube a 5th of its length longer. 1.5 cm or 2 cm either end of the tube for plastic and a little padding is all that is needed. They could have easily saved 4 or 5 cm on the tubes length. I'm dissapointed by this, it is quite stupid of them in my opinion. As a result it won't fit normally to a cabin sized suitcase, it needs to be laid diagonally to get it in. If it was just 3 or 4 cm shorter it would fit in normally. That's my gripe here.

Hardrar

I've just done some proper U.K. measurements, the 9f frequent flyer is 42cm, the tube is 50cm, so 8cm longer, or an increase of 19% on the rods length. 8cm might not sound like much, but the whole idea of this rod is to keep its length to a minimum, so why make the tube a 5th of its length longer. 1.5 cm or 2 cm either end of the tube for plastic and a little padding is all that is needed. They could have easily saved 4 or 5 cm on the tubes length. I'm dissapointed by this, it is quite stupid of them in my opinion. As a result it won't fit normally to a cabin sized suitcase, it needs to be laid diagonally to get it in. If it was just 3 or 4 cm shorter it would fit in normally. That's my gripe here.
You could just buy a plastic rod tube and cut it to the correct length gluing a little circle of foam in each cap for protection? Cheap solution ?
OR! Do like I did,(see below) commission a leather rod case - just the correct length. But it will cost nearly as much as the rod on the down side, but probably outlast 5 rods on the plus side!
The problem will be travel rods are not volume sellers, so they will just adapt the nearest tube size available and it’s towards the budget end. I’ve had this with other rods
15870921-9C47-4D80-A7B3-2F9C9D082528.jpeg

Rob Edmunds

I feel your pain, as I have to put rods diagonally across a suitcase......I ended up buying a cheap larger plastic tube that I could fit 4 or 5 rods in just for holidays and cut it to size..

I fully accept that you shouldn't have too.....but is it possible to hacksaw the necessary length off the bottom of the tube and simply glue to fit ??

Peeping Caddis

Today i was able to give the frequent flyer a quick cast down the local park. Line was a Coetland 444 WF5F.

I only made around 20 casts over a few minutes, generally speaking i liked the feel of it, i definately dont dislike it. It has a bit of back bone to it for a 5w, i did not try to throw a long line out but got the impression it will do so easily, though not so sure how it will handle close range work, it felt like it might struggle at close range. I definatelh need to spend a bit of time with it on the water before making any final decisions, but so far its ok, i wont be sending it back for a refund thats for sure, which i was thinking i might do if i did not like it.

Rob Edmunds

Glad you like it........if you think it struggles with close range work put a WF6 on it.....the rod will load faster and quicker with less line in the air

Hardrar

Today i was able to give the frequent flyer a quick cast down the local park. Line was a Coetland 444 WF5F.

I only made around 20 casts over a few minutes, generally speaking i liked the feel of it, i definately dont dislike it. It has a bit of back bone to it for a 5w, i did not try to throw a long line out but got the impression it will do so easily, though not so sure how it will handle close range work, it felt like it might struggle at close range. I definatelh need to spend a bit of time with it on the water before making any final decisions, but so far its ok, i wont be sending it back for a refund thats for sure, which i was thinking i might do if i did not like it.
What’s it bare overall weigh out of interest.