A black day for the Black Ranger

iainmortimer

Blame Kevin not me. I decided a year or two ago to give the classics a go and so appalled at my early efforts I gave up. Then Kevin decided to post his efforts and it’s encouraged me to have a go again this afternoon with whatever I had to hand spurred on by a bit of interweb buying that will arrive soon.

I therefore apologise for dragging this Black Ranger into a black day of embarrassment for such a fine pattern!

substitutes:
Hook: a Sakuma manta 545 3/0 normally used pike/ bass flies
Indian crow: parakeet. Yes really as I was donated a skins worth of feathers
Kingfisher: blue Chinese cock coloured at the butt with marker pen

The main aim was to practice some of the techniques and to my surprise having spent a year tying salmon flies for fishing I felt more comfortable than last time I tried. A couple of areas I know are poor AND struggled with:

1. The yellow tag. It looks way to long. Is there a rule of thumb on its length?

2. GP wing topping: how on earth do you get it curve gracefully round and meet the tail?! ...I couldn’t even get it to run straight back to front.

Happy for all pointers and advice. Note the head isn’t varnished as this fly will be stripped shortly!

oh, I used my white Veevus PB2 140 thread normally used on my SWFF and pike flies for the body tying and white Antron to build the body up to something looking reasonably level. Is that thread fine to use and what would normally be used instead of the Antron?

Thanks in advance!

CC97B482-BE5E-4806-BD90-F908E58716FE.jpeg

tj hooker

Great job Iain lovely fly I’ll not offer much in the line of critique not really experienced enough more in encouragement great to see more of these creations.

richardt3227

Blame Kevin not me. I decided a year or two ago to give the classics a go and so appalled at my early efforts I gave up. Then Kevin decided to post his efforts and it’s encouraged me to have a go again this afternoon with whatever I had to hand spurred on by a bit of interweb buying that will arrive soon.

I therefore apologise for dragging this Black Ranger into a black day of embarrassment for such a fine pattern!

substitutes:
Hook: a Sakuma manta 545 3/0 normally used pike/ bass flies
Indian crow: parakeet. Yes really as I was donated a skins worth of feathers
Kingfisher: blue Chinese cock coloured at the butt with marker pen

The main aim was to practice some of the techniques and to my surprise having spent a year tying salmon flies for fishing I felt more comfortable than last time I tried. A couple of areas I know are poor AND struggled with:

1. The yellow tag. It looks way to long. Is there a rule of thumb on its length?

2. GP wing topping: how on earth do you get it curve gracefully round and meet the tail?! ...I couldn’t even get it to run straight back to front.

Happy for all pointers and advice. Note the head isn’t varnished as this fly will be stripped shortly!

oh, I used my white Veevus PB2 140 thread normally used on my SWFF and pike flies for the body tying and white Antron to build the body up to something looking reasonably level. Is that thread fine to use and what would normally be used instead of the Antron?

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 23036
Looks good. Would suggest that the yellow tag should be about half the length. GP topping is a pig! One way to get a good curve is to use a wine glass, wet the topping feather, put it inside the glass and allow to dry. You'll need to do several to get the best fit. Good luck!

wingman

That's not bad Iain considering you haven't tied any in quite some time. You have all the components tied on pretty well but the hooks obviously throwing out all the proportions and trying to judge them on that hook will be quite difficult. Once you get the right hooks you'll be able to judge better. These are the types of flies you're recommended to tie at first so you're off on the right foot. As for toppings there's different methods of preparing them as richardt3227 mentions above a wine glass is one method but I'll send you some info on how to prepare them.

Last edited:

wingman

Sorry forgot to mention for the under bodies I use white Pipers silk which I also use for the under tag base for the coloured floss. https://pipers-silks.com/product-category/floss-silk/page/3 Usually the bright white is the one I get, I usually by two to three rolls at a time and you have to wind it onto a normal empty bobbin if you want to use it in a bobbin holder. They also have a lot of other colours although I mainly use the Danvilles 4 strand floss for my coloured flosses which is slightly wider but there's a very poor selection of colours in it unfortunately. A lot of tiers seem to use the Uni stretch stuff for under bodies but I couldn't get away with it. I also buy the black Pipers silk which is useful for finishing the heads off with (for wrapping over waste butts after everything's been tied in) and again I wind it onto a normal bobbin. Mostly I tie with Uni 8/0 and sometimes I use some white thread if I'm working over areas that are going to take a lighter coloured floss as black would show through. Traditionally silk thread was used so Pearsalls would be ideal and I occasionally use it.

iainmortimer

Thanks for all the tips and encouraging words. I’m sure the next one will be much better as a result. Now there’s tempting providence! :oops: