A Confession...salty tears alert.

bonefishblues

Here's a thing, I'm approaching a significant (as in, 'Well I knew you were old, but christ that's ancient, mate!" - type) birthday and the realisation's just struck me that I can only recall catching a couple of fish in UK saltwater (coalies - or were they pollock) - on fly from rocks in Applecross 20-odd years ago. Now some of that may well be because I don't fish UK saltwater, admittedly 😗

Anyhow, in late July and early August I'll be based in Penzance, and because birthday, will be able to have a session or two, so what would people recommend - I'm not wedded to a fly rod, so could take a lure rod if best, but have a preference for fly if possible. Mullet? Bass? I can cast a little, and can even spot the occasional fish.

Welcome any/all thoughts/tips/misinformation/banter. This is not a request for people to divulge their favourite marks, BTW - unless they have the urge to unburden themselves, of course! :)

GEK79

Here's a thing, I'm approaching a significant (as in, 'Well I knew you were old, but christ that's ancient, mate!" - type) birthday and the realisation's just struck me that I can only recall catching a couple of fish in UK saltwater (coalies - or were they pollock) - on fly from rocks in Applecross 20-odd years ago. Now some of that may well be because I don't fish UK saltwater, admittedly 😗

Anyhow, in late July and early August I'll be based in Penzance, and because birthday, will be able to have a session or two, so what would people recommend - I'm not wedded to a fly rod, so could take a lure rod if best, but have a preference for fly if possible. Mullet? Bass? I can cast a little, and can even spot the occasional fish.

Welcome any/all thoughts/tips/misinformation/banter. This is not a request for people to divulge their favourite marks, BTW - unless they have the urge to unburden themselves, of course! :)
I'll wish you a happy 40th in advance my youngest says thata ancient.. Hope someone will point you in right direction lad..

jaybeegee

I’m not asking in case you’re younger than me…🙄

aenoon

Linlithgow, Scotland and anywhere i can wet a line
Funny story about my 40th. My wife asked me what I wanted to do on this important milestone.

I went fishing in Cuba :ROFLMAO:
Did exactly the same for my 60th, with full blessing from wife. Indeed was her suggestion.
She even arranged the birthday party at one of the resorts restuarants, right down to having the cake made.
End of meal, we were both a bit tired after a day on flats, we got up and walked out.
We were chased up the road by head waiter demanding to know why we had not waited for cake!
Was a big ooopppps moment!

andygrey

You could always hand over a large amount of cash to the well known local guide for the privilege of watching him fish...

bonefishblues

You could always hand over a large amount of cash to the well known local guide for the privilege of watching him fish...
The one with the extensive web presence and a design relationship with an angry tackle manufacturer?

Happy to confirm not following a PM exchange

Last edited:

PaulD

I'd suggest for ease of accessibility etc having a look for mullet in the local harbours or Hayle estuary might be the most profitable exercise.