A couple of blow ins

diawl bach

For some reason the walls at the side and rear of our place attracts stoneflies there were at least six there the other day which coincided with a flood. I think of them as needle flies but haven't got round to identifying yet.
IMG_20211001_143731.jpg

Next up a hefty sedge which was in the house today, away from home so no ID books but presume it's a cinnamon sedge.
IMG_20211005_100647.jpg

IMG_20211005_100818.jpg

Any ideas ?

GEK79

For some reason the walls at the side and rear of our place attracts stoneflies there were at least six there the other day which coincided with a flood. I think of them as needle flies but haven't got round to identifying yet. View attachment 44192

Next up a hefty sedge which was in the house today, away from home so no ID books but presume it's a cinnamon sedge. View attachment 44193

View attachment 44194

Any ideas ?
I woke up the other morning took dog for walk and saw a couple of the same sedges caught in spider webs.. I'm maybe 10 miles from the nearest lough...

diawl bach

I'm up in the hills, about 100 feet from the lake and here for a couple of weeks fishing. Saw one solitary lake olive just now, hoping for some late hatches when ( if ) it warms up.

Whinging pom

Caddis
The back of the wing edge elongated hooping pattern looks like Halesus radiatus the caperer …. But isn’t it a bit late ? ( 🤔and aren’t you a bit far from those Nancy boy southern chalk streams! 😁)
I’m not really in a region for stone flys but that had to be leuctra fusca the Late Needle fly

diawl bach

Cheers WP, not much in the way of online resources for identifying sedges or stoneflies.

Whinging pom

No. But at least you have your virtual on line buddy droid thingys that can either do the washing up or drop into their ARMI bag with that last ten minutes and look up fly idents. Even us luddites can find a use for this stuff… shame about the dishes. You’d have thought I’d grown out of that !

diawl bach

Had another look , googled cinnamon sedge which turns out to be a generic term. Unfortunately the detail offered by my mobile isn't brilliant but going by wing pattern it looks like you're right, either Halesus digitatus or H. radiatus, both of which are known as capererers.

Latest posts