A decent day on the dap...

Cap'n Fishy

Not many threads on dapping...

... and not had much chance to do any dapping this season, what with missing out on the brownie mayfly season.

So, it was very enjoyable to get a decent day this week. Even more enjoyable in that it saved our trip, after Monday had been very slow (folk blamed it on the fish being put off by the approaching Storm Francis), and Tuesday was unfishable due to Storm Francis. We tried, but the strong wind was being channelled by the hills and was coming from every direction at once. Caused the most spectacular water spouts I have witnessed on a loch! :eek: We couldn't get any kind of a drift going, so gave up and went for a drive.

Wednesday, last day, became all or nothing. It was a flat calm start, but by the time we were out on the water and tackled up, we had a breeze. The first couple of drifts saw a smallish sea trout and a couple of finnock come into the boat on wet flies - both of us on the floater...

That gave us hope that things were better. My boat partner, Ron, decided to have a go with the dap. On the next drift he must have risen the best part of a dozen fish, without sticking to any - he did have a brief hold of a couple. During this time, I landed another small sea trout to the wets, but I was getting nothing like the number of chances that Ron was getting. I was thinking of putting the dap up when Ron finally exploded into action with one around 4 pound taking his extended deer-hair body daddy....

This was getting more like it now. I put the dap up myself and was soon getting into the action. We were not getting anything like the number of chances that the first drift had given Ron, but we both had decent conversion rates as the dap goes...

We finished with 8 sea trout and 5 finnock. We were both using daddy type flies - my own a simple foam-bodied one...

One thing that came up, which harks back to a discussion in a thread a couple of years ago...

Towards the end of the day, Ron's catch-rate dropped behind a bit. I thought he was just tired, as he had only had a couple of hours sleep each night (as happens in these 'strange bed' scenarios). However, in chatting about it on the way home, he said he thought his fly had become less attractive to the fish towards the end, as it had been getting progressively more waterlogged and harder to get dried-out and back up and dancing over the water, rather than dragging through it. Nail hit on head! For me, if there is one thing a dapping fly has to be, it is bone dry, so it dances like thistledown, and doesn't drag. When it drags, it loses its attractiveness. A lot of the Lomond guys don't even bother to try and dry-off a fly after catching a fish, but just change it for a fresh one. I asked Ron why he didn't change it when it got waterlogged. Turns out he had only tied one of those deer-hair bodied daddies! Next year he will have a box of them. 😜

Col

tingvollr

Great these foam bodied Daddy Long legs Col particularly amongst grilse. This year there hasn't been particularly good runs of grilse up here in the north but those I have caught were all on a foam bodied Daddy Long legs. Fishing for them in salt water they appeared to be attracted to the wake. (at least that is my theory!).

JoeOh

You got mr there... before I checked the previous post date, I was thinking "dapping in January"??

G

GEK79

Not many threads on dapping...

... and not had much chance to do any dapping this season, what with missing out on the brownie mayfly season.

So, it was very enjoyable to get a decent day this week. Even more enjoyable in that it saved our trip, after Monday had been very slow (folk blamed it on the fish being put off by the approaching Storm Francis), and Tuesday was unfishable due to Storm Francis. We tried, but the strong wind was being channelled by the hills and was coming from every direction at once. Caused the most spectacular water spouts I have witnessed on a loch! :eek: We couldn't get any kind of a drift going, so gave up and went for a drive.

Wednesday, last day, became all or nothing. It was a flat calm start, but by the time we were out on the water and tackled up, we had a breeze. The first couple of drifts saw a smallish sea trout and a couple of finnock come into the boat on wet flies - both of us on the floater...

That gave us hope that things were better. My boat partner, Ron, decided to have a go with the dap. On the next drift he must have risen the best part of a dozen fish, without sticking to any - he did have a brief hold of a couple. During this time, I landed another small sea trout to the wets, but I was getting nothing like the number of chances that Ron was getting. I was thinking of putting the dap up when Ron finally exploded into action with one around 4 pound taking his extended deer-hair body daddy....

This was getting more like it now. I put the dap up myself and was soon getting into the action. We were not getting anything like the number of chances that the first drift had given Ron, but we both had decent conversion rates as the dap goes...

We finished with 8 sea trout and 5 finnock. We were both using daddy type flies - my own a simple foam-bodied one...

One thing that came up, which harks back to a discussion in a thread a couple of years ago...

Towards the end of the day, Ron's catch-rate dropped behind a bit. I thought he was just tired, as he had only had a couple of hours sleep each night (as happens in these 'strange bed' scenarios). However, in chatting about it on the way home, he said he thought his fly had become less attractive to the fish towards the end, as it had been getting progressively more waterlogged and harder to get dried-out and back up and dancing over the water, rather than dragging through it. Nail hit on head! For me, if there is one thing a dapping fly has to be, it is bone dry, so it dances like thistledown, and doesn't drag. When it drags, it loses its attractiveness. A lot of the Lomond guys don't even bother to try and dry-off a fly after catching a fish, but just change it for a fresh one. I asked Ron why he didn't change it when it got waterlogged. Turns out he had only tied one of those deer-hair bodied daddies! Next year he will have a box of them. 😜

Col
Seems like an excellent day Cap. Great pictures too.. Thanks for sharing..