A few from this afternoon...

Fishtales

I know two of mine weren't taken using a fancy camera, the middle and last one. They were taken with a Fuji Finepix F800 EXR, the middle one through the living room window :)

easker1

I think it may be Pinus Carolinus,sorry Col, I have a thing about trees , I did work for SNH gathering pine seed, for a while, it's just a thing cheers Col, easker1

Cap'n Fishy

I think it may be Pinus Carolinus,sorry Col, I have a thing about trees , I did work for SNH gathering pine seed, for a while, it's just a thing cheers Col, easker1

No bother at all - as I said, I was suspicious even when I was posting the photo...

Col

Cap'n Fishy

I know two of mine weren't taken using a fancy camera, the middle and last one. They were taken with a Fuji Finepix F800 EXR, the middle one through the living room window :)

Aye, it's just the difference between those sorts of shots and this sort of shot...

Botanics04Mar20_6085.jpg

That's taken at 560 mm focal length, and focusing on the bird's eye at the same time. (Click on image for 1500 px view.)

Col

Fishtales

The small camera is always in my pocket Col so that gets used the most :) The images aren't the best especially hand held at the 20x zoom. The last one was taken standing on a footpath thirty or so feet from the tree and standing up. It took half an hour of standing relatively still with my arms up at my face and pointing at the entry point of the nest, I was beginning to shake that much I was luck to get that shot. It is highly cropped and put through CRAW and then sharpened up in PS. It is a handy camera that can take decent images but no where as good as my DSLR :)

Cap'n Fishy

The small camera is always in my pocket Col so that gets used the most :) The images aren't the best especially hand held at the 20x zoom. The last one was taken standing on a footpath thirty or so feet from the tree and standing up. It took half an hour of standing relatively still with my arms up at my face and pointing at the entry point of the nest, I was beginning to shake that much I was luck to get that shot. It is highly cropped and put through CRAW and then sharpened up in PS. It is a handy camera that can take decent images but no where as good as my DSLR :)

For sure, it's a decent result for what it is. But it doesn't stack up against a shot taken with a 560 mm (in old money) lens and a full frame sensor, and I'm sure you would not deny that.

I just don't get it when folk look at an image taken with a (proper) long lens and then go, "Oh, I need to get myself a good camera." When they say that, they tell me that they have no idea of the role the lens is playing.

Just sayin'...

Col

Cap'n Fishy

Cracking pics, don’t you just love Wrens?
S.

Seriously, those are the first shots I have got of a wren. Long-tailed tits are easy in comparison. The LTTs will take no notice of you, so providing you can get among them, at least you have a chance - even though they are bouncing about and never staying still for 2 seconds.

Wrens are wary wee buggers. You can be walking past, and if you just keep moving, they will sit there, singing on their perch. But, if you stop and raise the camera towards them, they are offski!

And when you get them skulking about in the undergrowth.. Jeezo - try to get that in your focus frame!

Trying for a classic shot of a wren, on a post, singing with beak open and tail cocked-up, with a nice defocused background... I've had so many near misses - been 1 second away from a 'Country File' style calendar shot - only for the wee bugger to fly off, just as I was about to press the shutter...

Still... we live in hope... 😜

Col

4wings

At the Botanic Gardens...

(Click on images for full-sized view)

The magpies were getting feisty with one-another...

Botanics04Mar20_6074.jpg

Botanics04Mar20_6075.jpg

I had robins taking food from my hand... and so couldn't get a shot of them with the long lens! 🤭

The dunnocks were looking at the food in my hand, but wouldn't commit, so I could get a shot of them...

Botanics04Mar20_6085.jpg

Same with the great tits...

Botanics04Mar20_6089.jpg

Long-tailed tit's pink eyelid seems to have changed to orange?

Botanics04Mar20_6099.jpg

Managed to get a wren that wasn't just hiding in the undergrowth, though his patch was so shaded, I was into ISO 5000 territory with him...

Botanics04Mar20_6105.jpg

Botanics04Mar20_6121.jpg

Botanics04Mar20_6155.jpg

Botanics04Mar20_6167.jpg

Botanics04Mar20_6173.jpg

Cock chaffinch, singing atop a pine tree...

Botanics04Mar20_6188.jpg

Col
I have Blackcaps in the garden , a male and a female there were two males but my cat had one (naughty Sweetiepie) I am between two main roads and get allsorts of birds drop in. The photos are
amazing.

Mrtrout

Seriously, those are the first shots I have got of a wren. Long-tailed tits are easy in comparison. The LTTs will take no notice of you, so providing you can get among them, at least you have a chance - even though they are bouncing about and never staying still for 2 seconds.

Wrens are wary wee buggers. You can be walking past, and if you just keep moving, they will sit there, singing on their perch. But, if you stop and raise the camera towards them, they are offski!

And when you get them skulking about in the undergrowth.. Jeezo - try to get that in your focus frame!

Trying for a classic shot of a wren, on a post, singing with beak open and tail cocked-up, with a nice defocused background... I've had so many near misses - been 1 second away from a 'Country File' style calendar shot - only for the wee bugger to fly off, just as I was about to press the shutter...

Still... we live in hope... 😜

Col

I have one lives in the stone wall surrounding my garden Col, I see little of him just fleeting glances, so I can appreciate your frustration.
S.

Fishtales

For sure, it's a decent result for what it is. But it doesn't stack up against a shot taken with a 560 mm (in old money) lens and a full frame sensor, and I'm sure you would not deny that.

I just don't get it when folk look at an image taken with a (proper) long lens and then go, "Oh, I need to get myself a good camera." When they say that, they tell me that they have no idea of the role the lens is playing.

Just sayin'...

Col

The one I have has a Fujinon Lens which was a good piece of glass at one time on their DSLR lenses. The camera was a refurbished unit and when I first got it the images were absolutely crap. Good enough for snaps but there was too much noise and artifacts, even on the RAW files. After about 1000 images that suddenly changed and the noise and artifacts decreased to a manageable amount :) No idea why but I am assuming there was a burning in period on the CMOS sensor. Takes not bad videos too :)

For decent images though I agree my DSLR with interchangeable lenses tops it by a large amount. Still nowhere as good as yours though, yours I call photographs, mine I call snaps :)