A hook puzzle

m r roid

A little puzzle for everyone 😊
Does anyone recognise this style of hook?
It was marketed by a UK fly tying distributor (now defunct) about 35 years ago 🤔
It's about 13mm, or 1/2" long.
IMG_20211128_162041_edit_345775796150361.jpg

Hardrar

A little puzzle for everyone 😊
Does anyone recognise this style of hook?
It was marketed by a UK fly tying distributor (now defunct) about 35 years ago 🤔
It's about 13mm, or 1/2" long.
View attachment 45924
I still have some somewhere I think it was one of Peter Mackenzie- Philips designs I had some of his rods and fly lines.
If it’s not it’s the spitting image of the shrimp hooks he used to sell, came in three sizes.

m r roid

I still have some somewhere I think it was one of Peter Mackenzie- Philips designs I had some of his rods and fly lines.
If it’s not it’s the spitting image of the shrimp hooks he used to sell, came in three sizes.
I'm not sure how many sizes were made, Hardrar, these are quoted as 14's...
A big clue..... My packet has a female name on it 🤔😉

Hardrar

I'm not sure how many sizes were made, Hardrar, these are quoted as 14's...
A big clue..... My packet has a female name on it 🤔😉
I can’t remember the name he put on them, 12s 14s and 16s came in flat plastic bags, he did Sue Burgess stuff, branded with his own name, did a lot of chenilles and Antron yarns too. His rods looked like Sue Burgess with his name on.

m r roid

I can’t remember the name he put on them, 12s 14s and 16s came in flat plastic bags, he did Sue Burgess stuff, branded with his own name, did a lot of chenilles and Antron yarns too. His rods looked like Sue Burgess with his name on.
Yep. My pack is marked Sue Burgess.
I've never tried them, I came across them while rationalising my fly tying hooks. I think their 'holding' ability might be a bit suspect......

Hardrar

They hooked up pretty well and we used them to tie up varying weighted hares ear shrimps with a pheasant tail back. They swam point up. They were pretty deadly early season in Stillwater back in the eighties.

Hardrar

They hooked up pretty well and we used them to tie up varying weighted hares ear shrimps with a pheasant tail back. They swam point up. They were pretty deadly early season in Stillwater back in the eighties.
I still have plenty of Sue Burgess gear, that later sadly morphed into Airflo, this rod is one of my favourites, crisp very light glass 7’-#4/5 fully lined rings, slim profiled cork, sub 60g
9DF32813-FC99-4911-91AE-162246DBEC19.jpeg

Rhithrogena

I remember these hooks. I remember tying bloodworm patterns with red marabou covering the hook point, Stu Apte 'Bend Back' style. They were not as 'weedless' as I hoped but I did catch on them.....

arkle

I was Sue B's first commercial tyer, so was pretty well aware of the products she & Paul marketed, though I can't remember this one. However it's definitely nothing to do with Peter McP's gear, as I also tied for him. His "Yorkshire" sedge hook, had the eye, inline like virtually every other hook we use today.

Normark, c/o Omri Thomas was the only person I knew that intro'd this style & he tried to market them, by giving away a free pkt. on the cover of Trout Fisherman mag, but surprise, surprise they never really took the market by storm.

Hardrar

I know it’s a long time ago, but I remember the Yorkshire Sedge hooks but these were called something different, the gimmick with the eye at 90 degrees was something along the lines of making the fly “swim” differently. There was a lot of innovation back then.

arkle

I know it’s a long time ago, but I remember the Yorkshire Sedge hooks but these were called something different, the gimmick with the eye at 90 degrees was something along the lines of making the fly “swim” differently. There was a lot of innovation back then.
Please read, the above post !

Hardrar

I did, hence my reply, I clearly remember the hooks laid flat in the plastic envelope due to the aspect of the eye in line with the shank. I can’t remember their name.

arkle

Part of the way, down this link, is a chart from Mustad. Showing "flat eyed" hooks. The only other large manufacturer, then as far as the UK was then concerned, was Partridge. Who, as far as I can trace, never at that time, offered this variant. Partridge then offered many, many hooks to peoples own design's though.

Mustad were a much larger manufacturing supply co, that mainly catered for the US as well as Scandinavia. This was long before the Asian's got involved. https://www.in-fisherman.com/editorial/all-about-hooks/154924

Mustad (trout) hooks are usually easy to identify, by their points & often the way in which the eyes were formed, not to mention the quality (?) of their tempering. Which I always found to be on the soft side, this maybe to compensate for the depth of which the barbs were cut. There are other factors, but these are the main ones, at least for patterns of that era.

billy fish

Alan Bramley at Partridge Hooks was always trying out new ideas for hooks . Hook packets nearly always had a female name on the packet which was the name of the packer/ quality control .