A Leader for Readers...

Hello,

New member to the forum and have greatly enjoyed gleaning tips and information from the threads over the last wee while.

I'm not entirely sure what the etiquette here is in terms of directing you towards a fishing blog, but I'd humbly like to do so.

I've been fishing for troots on and off for around 15 years now and I like to take notes and write about it too. Not just about the fishing but other things I see along the way also.

I'm an amateur writer and am not plugging products. I'm also a novice blogger and haven't really nailed the picture side of things yet - so that's definitely a step for improvement.

If you read the single piece (so far) and it provides anything approaching an interesting diversion for five minutes - then great, that's all it's meant to do.

Yours aye,

FulTaeTheHeidOTroots

thetrouttickler

Hello,

New member to the forum and have greatly enjoyed gleaning tips and information from the threads over the last wee while.

I'm not entirely sure what the etiquette here is in terms of directing you towards a fishing blog, but I'd humbly like to do so.

I've been fishing for troots on and off for around 15 years now and I like to take notes and write about it too. Not just about the fishing but other things I see along the way also.

I'm an amateur writer and am not plugging products. I'm also a novice blogger and haven't really nailed the picture side of things yet - so that's definitely a step for improvement.

If you read the single piece (so far) and it provides anything approaching an interesting diversion for five minutes - then great, that's all it's meant to do.

Yours aye,

FulTaeTheHeidOTroots

Welcome to the forum, and all the best with your blog. Feel free to reference your blog as much as you wish, many others here do.

My vocabulary certainly improved reading your first post -crepuscular and incarnadine being two new words.

It takes a lot of effort to keep going and avoid being repetitive. I guess this will be dictated by what you wish to derive from your blog. At the one extreme, if you wish to become the next John Gierach or Thomas McGuane, you will want to write frequently, carve out something of a niche, network with other bloggers, engage in other forms of social media and engage in print media to boost your profile. I know this sounds silly but it's all to do with building up a following. In addition, decent photography helps tremendously, as you appear to already appreciate.

At the other extreme, I write a blog for purely personal reasons and therefore never publicise mine.

Last edited:

GEK79

Hello,

Yours aye,

FulTaeTheHeidOTroots

Great piece if you close your eyes you can imagine the adventure.. And welcome..

Great piece if you close your eyes you can imagine the adventure.. And welcome..
Thanks all for the warm welcome and the encouragement, much appreciated.

I don't really have an aim as such, it's just something I enjoy doing and I'll keep going with it.

New rod purchased today, trip to Sutherland come Friday. Can. Not. Wait.

Welcome to the forum, and all the best with your blog. Feel free to reference your blog as much as you wish, many others here do.

My vocabulary certainly improved reading your first post -crepuscular and incarnadine being two new words.

It takes a lot of effort to keep going and avoid being repetitive. I guess this will be dictated by what you wish to derive from your blog. At the one extreme, if you wish to become the next John Gierach or Thomas McGuane, you will want to write frequently, carve out something of a niche, network with other bloggers, engage in other forms of social media and engage in print media to boost your profile. I know this sounds silly but it's all to do with building up a following. In addition, decent photography helps tremendously, as you appear to already appreciate.

At the other extreme, I write a blog for purely personal reasons and therefore never publicise mine.
Thanks for the guidance - much appreciated. I've yet to work out where I want go with it, if anywhere. One slight issue is that I don't get out fishing as much as I'd like to...

I guess I'll just have to use the periods in between to hone my photography/ blog layout capabilities.

GEK79

Thanks for the guidance - much appreciated. I've yet to work out where I want go with it, if anywhere. One slight issue is that I don't get out fishing as much as I'd like to...

I guess I'll just have to use the periods in between to hone my photography/ blog layout capabilities.
You'll get there fella Friday may give you some inspiration or it may not stay safe stay week and enjoy..
Gary

Really enjoyed the couple of McGuane articles I’ve just read - A Life In Fishing has now been ordered.

mrnotherone

Welcome and good luck, writing is a pleasure and there are lots of reasons for doing it. Personally, I write for myself and as a diary record. It's become part of the overall enjoyment of fly fishing.
Cheers,

Finally managed to get some (distinctly average) photos on after working out in what particular manner icloud was choosing to yank my chain today. Have a deek and see what you think. Now must take better pictures!

thetrouttickler

Finally managed to get some (distinctly average) photos on after working out in what particular manner icloud was choosing to yank my chain today. Have a deek and see what you think. Now must take better pictures!
A good sequence of photos which add immeasurably to your post. Up to you, of course, but I find the extra large image size on blogger to be optimum.

A good sequence of photos which add immeasurably to your post. Up to you, of course, but I find the extra large image size on blogger to be optimum.
Great - thanks for the tip. Will have a play around with that for next post - I was ful tae the heid o troots after spending a couple of hours on that today. Will have a rest and a dram now.

Latest posts