A little advice please!

roger h 10

I am looking to have a go at Pike Fishing on the fly. I have decided that a 9'#9 rod is the norm but can anyone advise me as to what to buy. Would a kit from the likes of Vision or Guideline be best or would I be better to buy rod and reel seperately/
I see that a lot of these set ups come with Intermediate lines,is that the best line for Pike fishing or is a floater better?

Thanks in anticipation.

G

GEK79

I am looking to have a go at Pike Fishing on the fly. I have decided that a 9'#9 rod is the norm but can anyone advise me as to what to buy. Would a kit from the likes of Vision or Guideline be best or would I be better to buy rod and reel seperately/
I see that a lot of these set ups come with Intermediate lines,is that the best line for Pike fishing or is a floater better?

Thanks in anticipation.
I'll be following this thread closely as I've been told that there are a few pike loughs here that I can fish for free.. 😜

Last edited by a moderator:

Perch@1

I bought one of those kits fly pike fishing but reel didn't come with spare spools. Line supplied was intermediate which is good but no extra spools for floating/sinking line.

I bought new reel that come with spare spools which cost me extra, so be careful!

Thanks in anticipation.

andygrey

If you're planning on fishing rivers and small to medium still waters then a floater is all you really need. For bigger and deeper waters and boat fishing you might want to go to an inter but you'll end up getting weeded and snagged up if you use this is shallower areas. Mike Barrio makes the best pike fly lines by a long-mile, IMHO much much better than the Rio and Orvis offerings and under half the price. As regards rods, something with a bit of backbone but not super-fast. Go for something medium-fast as casting a heavy fly and line is very unforgiving on stroke timing so you want something with a bit of give. I cast a Loomis and Franklin 9wt recently and was very impressed, currently £150 from Gary Evans.
I have tried the Vision kit and didn't like it, not to say you won't but I found it heavy and unbalanced to cast.

G

GEK79

If you're planning on fishing rivers and small to medium still waters then a floater is all you really need. For bigger and deeper waters and boat fishing you might want to go to an inter but you'll end up getting weeded and snagged up if you use this is shallower areas. Mike Barrio makes the best pike fly lines by a long-mile, IMHO much much better than the Rio and Orvis offerings and under half the price. As regards rods, something with a bit of backbone but not super-fast. Go for something medium-fast as casting a heavy fly and line is very unforgiving on stroke timing so you want something with a bit of give. I cast a Loomis and Franklin 9wt recently and was very impressed, currently £150 from Gary Evans.
I have tried the Vision kit and didn't like it, not to say you won't but I found it heavy and unbalanced to cast.
What size tippet and leaders would you use please..

andygrey

Don't go over 8' max total leader length to start with, I sometimes go to 10' or 11' when I need to fish a bit deeper but it makes the casting difficult.
Leaders should be very steeply tapered, a good starting point is:-

4.5' - 80lbs mono with a Perfection Loop at line end and joined to 2.5' of 40lbs with an Albright knot or a Uni-Knot. No need to use fluro, half decent sea fishing shock leader like Drennan Greased Weasel is fine. Then put another Perfection loop in the other end and join to 1' min of 26lbs knottable wire with a corresponding Perfection Loop loop-to-loop connection. You can also tie the fly on with a Perfection Loop, there are a few Youtube tutorials that will show you how to do this. Having a loop-to-loop connection between the final mono length and wire makes it easy to replace the wire, which you should do regularly as fly casting can put kinks into it. The kottable wire isn't expensive and it's not worth loosing a fish with a fly in its gob. This is one of the reasons that I really don't like snap-links...
If you do get snagged up and have to pull for a break then 99 times out 100 the wire will break leaving you with the rest of the leader. Oh, and regularly check the junction between the leader and fly line is solid...

Rob Edmunds

You don't need expensive kit, or a lot of it, but it should be balanced to the size of fish you are targeting.....Pike don't make long runs and aren't tackle shy so remember that as the manufacturers try and sell you the latest gear......I've lost count of the number of 25lb Pike I've caught , and I've had at least 2 x 30+ from every Anglian Water so the novelty has definitely worn off...( I was really into it at one stage)

So for fish 10lb upwards I suggest...

Any 8 or 9 weight rod preferably in the 9ft 3 to 10ft range.

Any reel with the capacity for 75m of 20lb backing plus fly line.

Leaders are 7 - 8ft of 15 to 20lb fluro or mono, it makes no difference !

Trace.....I use 15 to 18" of a knottable trace wire called Authanic Wire as its supple.

Lines....buy Mill Ends off Ebay in one weight above the rods AFTM and cut off the front 6 to 7ft off the fly line......this will mean the taper is very blunt and turns over large flies easily....honestly this will be 10x the value of any purpose made Predator line....

Get a Floater, Intermediate, Medium and Fast Sinker for about £25 the lot...

Flies.....keep it simple.....4 to 6 inch Bunnies or Snakes in Black and White.....( occasionally olive).

Whistler's ( big sparklers) in about 4 to 6 inch.......

Waggies again in 4 to 6 inch..

Retrieves can be anything from a slow figure of 8 ,.....pull and draw. ..to fast roly poly ...

Personally I prefer a 5 inch Black Bunny or Snake as the best all round pattern, with a slow Roly Poly.

You really don't need lots or flies or fancy tackle it's a total waste for a fish that really is quite easy to catch.

15 to 20 years ago big 8inch patterns were best......now smaller is definately better as the Pike have become accustom to angling pressure......especially on waters such as Chew, Rutland, Pitsford, Grafham, Eyebrook etc....

Finally....the best pattern is undoubtedly a 5" snake made with Authentic Wire instead of braid.... you don't need to use a trace now just 18lb Fluro leader....this means you catch everything from big Perch, Trout, Zander to Pike....

Zander, Perch and Trout wont look at a fly on a trace.. ..so you should give yourself the chance to catch everything.......I accept you get bitten off occasionally by a Pike if they really suck the fly in....but 90% of the time they dont so the Authanic Wire in the snake is suitable.....OK it's a matter for the angler and your morals but it's the best if targeting multiple species...

Oh most fly lines have a core of 15 to 18lb breaking strain......an 18lb leader is stiff enough to turn over the large fly, but again there is no point going much higher ( 20lb max)

If you want examples of the flies I can post a few photos

Last edited:

stevel

You may want to think about a short but heavy weight double handed rod, but for overhead casting, not spey casting.
Double hauling a heavy 10-12 weight plus huge flies is not that easy, and being able to punt it out with both hands is much easier.
I have an old Beulah 11wt switch which I used to use when I was hucho fishing a few years back. Slinging out the huge 12" flies was a breeze. Doing that with a single hander would have been a chore not to mention dangerous with multiple 6/0 hooks flying around your head.
For those with deep pockets, Meiser makes one of these 909's for exactly this job. https://meiserflyrods.com/spey-two-handed-switch-rods/909-cx-two-handed-shooting-head-rods/

andygrey

I accept you get bitten off occasionally by a Pike if they really suck the fly in....but 90% of the time they dont so the Authanic Wire in the snake is suitable.....OK it's a matter for the angler and your morals but it's the best if targeting multiple species...

...Pike bites you off (and if it's taken the fly deep its likely its a biggish fish)...

...Pike is left with a hook in it's throat...

...Pike can't feed...

...pike dies...

I don't normally get riled up by many things but why put catching fish above the real risk of killing one? And before we get side-tracked by the whole 'fishing morality' argument, why use tackle that knowingly increases the chance of a bite-off.

Sorry but no.

Jason 70

Rob,

I catch Perch on a fly rod with a wire trace and the rivers I fish I always will owing to the numbers of Pike. I hear people say "You will catch more without a trace" the same debate happens with discussions about lure fishing for Perch." Ditch the wire and use fluro you will catch more". Perhaps but I've caught over 50 Perch over three-pound mark from my rivers while using a trace, and I'm happy with that ratio. I love a small Crankbait for Perch. Not had any over 3lb on the fly rod as of yet, but I'm sure I will.

I realise those figures are nothing like the bags of large Perch the lads are pulling out of the large ressies. I've had a couple of trips on the AW water venues over the years, really enjoy a day afloat. But I'm at my happiest miles from anyone on the river.

Jason 70

Thanks in anticipation.

Roger,

If you get yourself sorted with tackle and when and if the current Covid travel restrictions are over. Your welcome to pop round the M25 and fish a river with me on a guest ticket for a day after Pike.

Rob Edmunds

Like I said it's down to the anglers individual moral compass...

If targeting only Pike then a trace is essential.....I thought I made that clear

If you fish a trace you catch significantly less trout, perch, zander.....its not even close so when targeting multiple species it's the answer.

If you were using a standard snake or minkie on a normal leader for trout or perch you get bitten of most times by a pike ....the fly is still in the fish. ( and I dont subscribe to your the the pike cant feed so dies either)

Fish a snake with a Authanic braided link and your sorted 90% of the time when targeting multiple species

I can't see what the issue is...

How about you do what you want and I'll do what I want

andygrey

Like I said it's down to the anglers individual moral compass...

If targeting only Pike then a trace is essential.....I thought I made that clear

If you fish a trace you catch significantly less trout, perch, zander.....its not even close.

If you were using a standard snake or minkie you get bitten of most times.....the fly is still in the fish.

Fish a snake with a Authanic braided link and your sorted 90% of the time

I can't see what the issue is...

How about you do what you want and I'll do what I want
Sorry Rob, but if you think you might catch a pike and that there is a chance that it will bit you off with your chosen tackle, to my mind, it's not acceptable. A 5" fly is definitely pike territory and it's irresponsible not to use suitable terminal tackle. We obviously have have a very different moral compass...

Rob Edmunds

You're talking rubbish so is any fly over 4 inch only going to be fished with a trace ???.....4 to 8 inch snakes are great for big browns and rainbows, probably the number 1 fly on the Midlands waters ( and yes I accept pike too).....put a trace on and you now only have a 10% chance of the trout

Are you saying that I need to fish a trace every time I fish a snake, because there is the chance of a pike in a trout water??

Sorry never going to happen with me...

No point in arguing or falling out over it, just different opinions......guess we both need to accept that

andygrey

You're talking rubbish so is any fly over 4 inch only going to be fished with a trace ???.....4 to 8 inch snakes are great for big browns and rainbows, probably the number 1 fly on the Midlands waters ( and yes I accept pike too).....put a trace on and you now only have a 10% chance of the trout

Are you saying that I need to fish a trace every time I fish a snake, because there is the chance of a pike in a trout water??

Sorry never going to happen with me...

No point in arguing or falling out over it, just different opinions......guess we both need to accept that
Rob,
Just rewind a bit... This thread is about pike fishing and you made a statement that you don't need a wire trace. That's what I have issue with.

Rob Edmunds

Ok....point taken Andy, I may not have made it clear in my 1st post.....But I actually agree with you 100%.....A trace if you are just targeting Pike is definitely the way to go.

But if your targeting a mix of species, then I personally don't bother because once you put a trace on your catch rate for the other species plummets ....hence the reason for a Authanic snake, it gives you a lot more protection than nothing.

Again in my experience a 5 or 6 inch snake isn't often swallowed even by a huge 25lb+ Pike, yes 3 or 4 inches of it maybe, but very very rarely the whole lot so you do get away with a armoured snake the majority of the time.

I had a 20lb Pike out of Ravensthope last Saturday on a 5 inch snake, and the Mrs one over 30lb as well......plus we had about 30 rainbows ( all 2 to 4lb) between us, again all on the snake...

If you want big Pike on the Fly Ravensthope would be my choice, and for big Perch Farmoor....

Last edited:

roger h 10

Roger,

If you get yourself sorted with tackle and when and if the current Covid travel restrictions are over. Your welcome to pop round the M25 and fish a river with me on a guest ticket for a day after Pike.
Thanks very much Jason,I may well take you up on your offer.

G

GEK79

Come on Guys,I only wanted some help with selecting the right equipment which has been forthcoming and greatly appreciated. PLEASE don't turn my post in to an argument. (y)
Apologies Roger I removed my comment.. Wasn't meant offensively..
Gary

JCP

TFO worth a look Roger.My pike rod is an old Lefty Kreh TFO TiCRx 9ft 8wt.Does it in spades and lots of grunt.Have used this rod in the salt too.Proably superceded by now but Company still turning out rods.Think the blanks are rolled in Korea.Australian Reelmaker friend Terry Hayden first put me onto TFO and I remember he used a Lefty Kreh Proffessional Series for his ''toothy critter fishing''.

Best JP

Latest posts