A little advice please!

beetlebum

Rob,

I catch Perch on a fly rod with a wire trace and the rivers I fish I always will owing to the numbers of Pike. I hear people say "You will catch more without a trace" the same debate happens with discussions about lure fishing for Perch." Ditch the wire and use fluro you will catch more". Perhaps but I've caught over 50 Perch over three-pound mark from my rivers while using a trace, and I'm happy with that ratio. I love a small Crankbait for Perch. Not had any over 3lb on the fly rod as of yet, but I'm sure I will.

I realise those figures are nothing like the bags of large Perch the lads are pulling out of the large ressies. I've had a couple of trips on the AW water venues over the years, really enjoy a day afloat. But I'm at my happiest miles from anyone on the river.
Same here, I've recently started to use Knot too Kinky titanium wire and I haven't noticed any difference in catch rate. It's really thin (same as 5lb mono) and is nice and supple. I'm very envious of the standard of perch fishing you have access to, I'm lucky to get anything over a 1lb😞

Jason 70

Same here, I've recently started to use Knot too Kinky titanium wire and I haven't noticed any difference in catch rate. It's really thin (same as 5lb mono) and is nice and supple. I'm very envious of the standard of perch fishing you have access to, I'm lucky to get anything over a 1lb😞

It's not angling skill, but the amount of crayfish and mitten crabs that make the Perch in my rivers grow big. Back on topic, perhaps I should not have jumped in, the debate over leader material for Pike does stoke the fire in the belly of many of us. So sorry to Roger for taking it off on a tangent. I'll sit that debate out in future.

roger h 10

It's not angling skill, but the amount of crayfish and mitten crabs that make the Perch in my rivers grow big. Back on topic, perhaps I should not have jumped in, the debate over leader material for Pike does stoke the fire in the belly of many of us. So sorry to Roger for taking it off on a tangent. I'll sit that debate out in future.
Again no need to apologise as my comment wasn't aimed at you either Jason. I found your comments regarding trace material very helpful as I wasn't aware of the one that you use. (y)

G

GEK79

Again no need to apologise as my comment wasn't aimed at you either Jason. I found your comments regarding trace material very helpful as I wasn't aware of the one that you use. (y)
I'm hoping my father in law will show me a cpl of the loughs that have puke in them today. If you don't hear from me he's finally got rid of me.. Stay safe. And thanks for a lot of helpful info.
Gary

t44

Hi Rob, can I take you up on your offer of posting a few pics? If you were tying snakes purely for Pike what colours would you go for? What hooks would you use, when tying ‘standard’ Pike flies I go for Partridge absolute predator 4/0? Sounds like these would be too big for the snake to fish well.
Thanks

roger h 10

Well I caught my first pike on fly yesterday,only a Jack but it's a start. I purchased the Grey's GRC Predator kit which is great value at £150. However there are a couple of issues with it,the rod is fine however the reel could do with being bigger as it is only a #7/8 weight so won't take much backing also although the line casts really well with a normal sized fly it is not designed as a predator line as it just won't turn over a pike fly,it is too long in the belly so needs a lot of backspace which isn't available in a lot of places that I fish

andygrey

Well I caught my first pike on fly yesterday,only a Jack but it's a start. I purchased the Grey's GRC Predator kit which is great value at £150. However there are a couple of issues with it,the rod is fine however the reel could do with being bigger as it is only a #7/8 weight so won't take much backing also although the line casts really well with a normal sized fly it is not designed as a predator line as it just won't turn over a pike fly,it is too long in the belly so needs a lot of backspace which isn't available in a lot of places that I fish
Get a Barrio Predator line!

G

GEK79

Congrats look forward to bigger fish..

G

GEK79

Any way I ended up buying a Scierra Big Fly 2. What a difference the right line profile makes,used it today and it casts like an absolute dream and a bargain at under £30.
Sounds good have you Manyn options for fishing pike near you. Enjoy and stay safe.

russfx

In my (admittedly limited) experience, unless you're a whizz with a double-haul then a very front-weighted line like a spey or skagit tip will serve you very well for getting anything approaching usesable distance for open water.

very expensive, but the "short head" from Sunray is what one of my friends uses. Makes it look near effortless, like casting a heavy spinner at times!

Latest posts