A New Lease of Life for Bewl Water

Doghound

I fished opening day, stocking level seemed very high. Fish size was averaging nearer 3lbs, so it seems like the new management are looking to keep fishermen happy. I think this has gone down well with the 200 or so anglers on opening day.

Fishing pontoon has moved up to the yacht club so has the tackle shop. No more them and us by the look of it, with a complete refurb of facilities. All good.

I will be going back regularly to support this investment in our sport.

flow

Hi doghound.

How do the new trout taste?

Found the old ones a bit muddy.

parrot

Hi Doghound. I am fishing there tomorrow from the bank. Any tips gleaned from opening day?

Doghound

Fish medium to deep, damsels, boobys, blobs, small lures.

Go to the point at the entrance to 7 pound creek. They are cruising along the bank from the house mostly under the trees.

I watched a guy wade out on the point near the seat at 7 pound creek, catch 8 fish in a couple of hours. Cant go wrong.

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:32 PM ----------

Flow

I have not eaten any of this years yet and I have to say I have long since given up eating reservoir trout plain cooked. Since eating Danish sea trout fresh out of the water, other fish seem rather dull.

Those i keep I either hot smoke or cold smoke if I have time.

That said I do swap quite a few for other produce and never have a problem getting a good deal!

parrot

Cheers Doghound. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the tips.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Doghound

Parrot

Let me know how you get on, I am planning another trip over the easter week, boat probably. Whilst the fishing is still quite good.

paul01

I fished the open day at Bewl and I have to say what an enjoyable day it was with really good quality fish. I do think that with the new owners at Bewl, the signs are that Bewl will be inproving in all departments.
Very pleased 😀😀

pigsypete

I fished Bewl the first 3 days of the season.

Opening day was amazing I had a lot of very good fish including 4 close to or possibly over 5lb's. I released all but one so only have that one fish to guide my estimates but that weighed 4 lb 12 oz

The next day was a bit trickier possibly down to the hammering they had taken the day before but still managed 4 including a 5 lb 8 oz beauty. My father came with me and managed 7 fish

Yesterday they stocked so it was a lot easier again and I had another great day.

I have been mainly fishing Boobies on an intermediate anywhere from 2-3 feet deep to right down on the bottom and sometime they want it pulled fairly quick other times twitched almost static. I have also caught using buzzers and diawl bachs on a floating line. Tuesday was a great day for the floating line but by the time I worked out how to fish them it was time to pack up but had managed 3 fish in casts.

roger h 10

Sounds as if the new owners are making a good effort. How much does it cost as I may well give it a go soon?

Is the ferry still running?

I can't find any information on their website.

paul01

They still have the ferry running and they now do a water taxi around the reservoir which is very cheap.
The price for fishing is 8 fish & c/r =£28. Or 2 fish & c/r=£22. And boat hire is £31 for two anglers and £23 for one angler.
I hope this helps :))

parrot

Had a good day at Bewl yesterday. Fished the bank from monty's seat around to Dunster's point and landed six. Told that it was slightly more difficult than opening day. Got most of mine on black buzzers with one on a tadpole. Black certainly seemed the colour of the day with my group. Floating line, steady figure of eight at two to three feet below the surface. The bank fared as well as the boats.

The fish are a step above last year's with a couple close to 4lb and in great condition.The fellow next to me had one to 7lb. Long time since I have seen a fish like that at Bewl. Another 2,000 were stocked yesterday.

If I was not going on away for Easter, I would certainly be back this weekend. As it is, I shall have to wait for the BBFC bank competition on the 2nd April.

sinkanddraw

Has any one been in April? Had a boat Good friday & did ok but went again Monday 2nd May and blanked! Only saw one caught. Be interested if it was just a "bad day" or has the opening rush died down? Whilst I don't profess to be a really good fly fisherman I have sufficient experience to avoid a blank on all but the worst days! I would like to try some evenings off the bank but this trip has made me wary now!

parrot

I went a couple of weeks ago off the bank. Generally, it was hard with most fish caught either side of ferry point. I spoke to someone who fished On Saturday (from a boat) and they found the going hard with only two to the boat. Bit of a mystery as I understand that the stocking levels have been reasonably high. If you do go, let me know how you get on.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

roadrunner1000

I fished last Saturday (30th April) . Started at noon, packed up at 6pm. Caught 10 (8 released) at Ferry Point and around the corner in Bewl Straight (by the sunken trees). Fish not too far out and rising to buzzers.
I caught on black buzzer and bloodworm patterns, sinktip and floater.

Edited to say that I also fished the previous Saturday (23rd April) and caught 10 at Ferry Point from around 11am until 4pm .
I started at Monty's Seat at 9am, caught nothing there but a couple of mates fished just around the corner close to the nature reserve and caught 7 each in the afternoon.

Last edited:

tinsell

Have found Bewl very hard going especially from boat and not great from banks not many fish showing have fished there since it first opened very dissapointing!

sinkanddraw

Sounds like I am not alone although interested to read of the guys doing OK on buzzers - did try nymphs off the boat right up against the bushes in a few spots but no joy however will keep my ear to the ground to see what evolves!

paul01

I've been fishing Bewl once a week this season and I have found that Black Buzzers have been out fishing Nymphs and Blobs etc. And the fish have not moved away from the banks yet. They are still in quite close

pigsypete

I have not found the need to have a boat yet the fish are very close in and have been getting takes about 15-20 feet out.

I have fished Bewl roughly once or twice a week. So far the fly that is out fishing all others for me is a small black cormorant. Fished with a very slow figure of 8 retrieve on a floating or sink tip line (depending on how deep the fish are).

I am useless at buzzer fishing but I have spoken with other regulars that are having great days using them.