A new PITA on stillwaters...

Wee Jimmy

Aye, I was just thinking about that one. We would be anchored, swinging buzzers, and a guy would come out in a rib to tell us the course they were going to take when they all came out. And we were like... "And...?" :unsure:
Aye we get to pay for our enjoyment but the sailors somehow expect the run of the place for free.Who the **** thought that one up..?

Cap'n Fishy

The only thing I have to deal with is an aggressive Oystercatcher......I'll get me coat. :)

8585.jpg

8563.jpg

Paul_B

It wasn't long ago some were pushing free water swimming on TV, while those in the know were warning against it.
this link is from July where it says "At least 24 people have died from drowning in the UK during the heatwave over the past week".

roirizla

Windsurfing isn't nearly as popular as it used to be thanks to kitesurfing but kitesurfing on inland waters are not permitted.
I do believe that wing surfing with a hydrofoil will become more and more popular on reservoirs though.

what-is-wing-foiling-1024x640.jpg

JoeOh

Windsurfing isn't nearly as popular as it used to be thanks to kitesurfing but kitesurfing on inland waters are not permitted.
I do believe that wing surfing with a hydrofoil will become more and more popular on reservoirs though.

Had one of those cross in front of me at Rutland last season. I had to take avoiding action (cut throttle) because the speed he was doing was way beyond what I could safely navigate near. He crossed from Whitwell to Normanton, a distance getting on for a mile in what seemed like minutes. Not a good "advance" in windsurfing .... questionable speed and control.
Best avoided.

wobbly face

Had one of those cross in front of me at Rutland last season. I had to take avoiding action (cut throttle) because the speed he was doing was way beyond what I could safely navigate near. He crossed from Whitwell to Normanton, a distance getting on for a mile in what seemed like minutes. Not a good "advance" in windsurfing .... questionable speed and control.
Best avoided.
Unfortunately, guidance says "sail over motor". Try employing that with a huge cargo ship that takes over a mile to slow let alone stop or manoeuvre.

Cap'n Fishy

Best avoided.

Would take you onto the backing on a 6-weight, eh? 😜

Elwyman

Mixing high speed and low speed users in a confined area is a recipe for disaster, stupid idea.

Zugbug

I was on the Black Loch on Saturday as well and that’s the first time I’ve seen all the non fishing activities happening. As we were driving by the Loch at the back of 8 we saw all the wild swimmers and they seemed to be there a fair while, anchored in School Bay in the morning they seemed to swim in shifts with a couple of young kids, but at least they had high vis skull caps on. It was a wee bit later that the speed merchants showed up and the wind surfers were fairly tanking across the Loch.

About 4 years back on the Lake of Menteith I came close to wiping out a wild swimmer in Lochend Bay a couple of hundred yards out from the lodges, I never saw him until the boat was upon him and I just swerved in time. He was the first wild swimmer I ever saw.

The Lake has become quite a Mecca now for kayaking, paddle boarding and wild swimming, and as Col says there will be a serious incident soon, then the sh1t will hit the fan!

campsiefisher

I've come across the wind surfers on Black Loch many times, usually on a Saturday, they do tend to stick to School bay and the Lochside road shore, wild swimmers are becoming more frequent too, along with the chalet posse at Menteith I've come across 3 swimmers in the same day on Glencourse reservoir, again on a Saturday. I guess pubs and football on Saturdays are now old school.

Zugbug

I've come across the wind surfers on Black Loch many times, usually on a Saturday, they do tend to stick to School bay and the Lochside road shore, wild swimmers are becoming more frequent too, along with the chalet posse at Menteith I've come across 3 swimmers in the same day on Glencourse reservoir, again on a Saturday. I guess pubs and football on Saturdays are now old school.
Well Glencorse could be fun for a wild swimmer when a torquedo powered boat sneaks up on him/her at full speed!
It should be mandatory for all wild swimmers to hook up to a high viz float, at least then we’d have a good chance of spotting them. I really don’t know how it would play out if a boat seriously injured, or worse, a wild swimmer on a fishery. The media would be all over it and there’s a chance that the fishery owners wouldn’t come out of it unscathed. If there’s no way of banning wild swimmers then we should maybe be warned of the chance of them being on the water, especially as not everyone fishes as often as those on this forum and some may be oblivious of the presence of crazy folk swimming in freezing water “for fun”.

mackiia1

My first time fishing on Draycote a few years ago , drifting happily fishing Dries when out of the corner of my eye I saw a blur of colour coming at us from the side .
Some guy on a Windsurfer flew straight across about 20 feet in front of us .
First day ever on Draycote so didn't really know what to think or do , but if it happened on Corrib there would have been a few choice words.
What are the 'rules' about this sort of thing?

Zugbug

My first time fishing on Draycote a few years ago , drifting happily fishing Dries when out of the corner of my eye I saw a blur of colour coming at us from the side .
Some guy on a Windsurfer flew straight across about 20 feet in front of us .
First day ever on Draycote so didn't really know what to think or do , but if it happened on Corrib there would have been a few choice words.
What are the 'rules' about this sort of thing?
I don’t think there are any rules, it comes down to etiquette. We were on Draycote in June and the place was alive with windsurfers and canoes/kayaks, the windsurfers were hooring past in front of our boat within 10 metres. I’m pretty laid back so just let them get on with it, it’s a long day out there so a couple of incursions was neither here nor there.

JRT

Don't get me started on jetskis. They are catnip for w**kers. They are drawn to annoy other water users who are enjoying the tranquillity. It's like allowing people to tear around on motorbikes in areas of natural beauty.

We do see the SBS doing drills in ribs and parachuting into the water off transport planes quite often. Which is fun to watch. I just wish they would do live target practice on jetskiers.

Dingbat

Don't get me started on jetskis. They are catnip for w**kers. They are drawn to annoy other water users who are enjoying the tranquillity. It's like allowing people to tear around on motorbikes in areas of natural beauty.

We do see the SBS doing drills in ribs and parachuting into the water off transport planes quite often. Which is fun to watch. I just wish they would do live target practice on jetskiers.
like quads on beaches

Reactions: JRT

matt808

Wild swimmers... you can be crossing Menteith and come across a wild swimmer away out in open water. It's only a matter of time before one of them gets hit by a boat... and you can guarantee it's the anglers who will get the blame.

00116.jpg
'wild swimming' another new craze it seems. Another thing we have covid to thank for.

What I don't get is they have groups on Facebook with reports saying where they've been, surely the whole point is to find somewhere secluded where you're not 'wild swimming' with everyone else?

danielp

Unfortunately, guidance says "sail over motor". Try employing that with a huge cargo ship that takes over a mile to slow let alone stop or manoeuvre.
Vessels under sail should give way to power vessels restricted in their ability to manoeuvre.

Should also give way to power vessels participating in the act of fishing.......

Maybe need to get some day shapes on the Rutland fleet

Latest posts